Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,324 times

Advertisements

so we looked into both and really liked Elmhurst. I also so a place in Villa Park, What do you think? is it safe? and worth it?? should I be looking in other areas?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Villa Park is basically Elmhurst's and Lombard's redheaded stepchild. It's poorer and rougher than the last two suburbs, although far from dangerous. There are quite a few working-class businesses, like counter service restaurants, hair salons, and liquor stores. Its parks system is rather small, outside the two well-known rail trails (Great Western Trail and Illinois Prairie Path). Over the last few years, I saw some construction and beautification happening around its downtown and the Metra station, but Villa Park still continues to lag behind.

For a single person or a couple, I'd say yes. But for a family, I'm hesitant to recommend it, unless your budget dictates it.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Mostly fair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Villa Park is basically Elmhurst's and Lombard's redheaded stepchild. It's poorer and rougher than the last two suburbs, although far from dangerous. There are quite a few working-class businesses, like counter service restaurants, hair salons, and liquor stores. Its parks system is rather small, outside the two well-known rail trails (Great Western Trail and Illinois Prairie Path). Over the last few years, I saw some construction and beautification happening around its downtown and the Metra station, but Villa Park still continues to lag behind.

For a single person or a couple, I'd say yes. But for a family, I'm hesitant to recommend it, unless your budget dictates it.
The trade-off in Villa Park is mostly pretty minor in the nicer parts of town, schools are a bit less well regarded than Elmhurst but not terrible, especially if you not needing special services. The core of the town is far less well developed than Elmhurst or even Lombard, mostly because many businesses never really shifted toward the UP-W line even long after the EJ&E was converted to the Prairie Path, that leaves a weird split with patchy coverage along both corridors -- businesses need to clustered better or at least have enough drive-by traffic (like in Elmhurst's Spring Rd business district south of York High school) to remain viable. The conversion of the Ovaltine factory into residential has not been as effective as it might have been, I think it is driven by the sorts of trade-offs that come from not being upscale in an environment that really squeezes the working class...

Housing prices are much more affordable and if you balance out the pros & cons it might make sense...

Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
I prefer Elmhurst it is a nicer town. LaGrange is nice too, you might look there.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The conversion of the Ovaltine factory into residential has not been as effective as it might have been, I think it is driven by the sorts of trade-offs that come from not being upscale in an environment that really squeezes the working class...
Your analysis is interesting. I think the developers were trying to create a hipster-type environment back in 1988, when the idea of hipsterdom/gentrification was in its infancy, and not well-studied like today. But downtown Villa Park lacked two key features that draw hipsters to low-income neighborhoods: quirky businesses and a rail line. The latter hasn't been there since the 1950's, for crying out loud. So the hipster experiment failed. Ovaltine Court now attracts middle-class singles, couples, and families, as well as history buffs. (The building is old, and used to be a real Ovaltine factory.)

Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 3,324 times
Hello Thank you so much!! i saw a place in village park, 10 minutes car drive from downtown Elmhurst, should I assume village park is quite safe as well? Do you guys see any disadvantages ?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 PM

748 posts, read 833,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdleao View Post
Hello Thank you so much!! i saw a place in village park, 10 minutes car drive from downtown Elmhurst, should I assume village park is quite safe as well? Do you guys see any disadvantages ?
The only concern would be the commute. If you can afford Oak Park or Elmhurst, those are quite nice. Oak Park for 1400 you can probably find a decently small floor of a through flat or SFH or a very nice 2BR condo. Village park - did you mean Villa Park?

It's fine, perhaps not as nice as Elmhurst or Oak Park, but no reason to be worried about it.

Be sure the commute works - just because you're close to a train doesn't mean you'll have parking!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdleao View Post
Villa Park (I assume that's what "Village Park" refers to) is OK. Not safe enough to go for a midnight stroll without looking over your shoulder, but enough to carry out your daily tasks without fear. There's a small industrial area by the UP-W line, since freight trains use it too. The disadvantages have already been posted by others before me. So were the advantages.

However, there's a big caveat with the Metra parking in downtown Elmhurst. It's obnoxiously difficult, from what I read in other threads on here. Spaces, both in garages and lots, fill up at lightning speed. If you get there after 8:00 AM, fuggedaboutit. Drive to the Villa Park Metra station, park there instead. Since it's located in a ho-hum residential area, rather a central business district, it doesn't fill up as fast.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
I'd go for Elmhurst or Oak Park - both will have nice downtowns and lots of kids, and parents commuting into the city.
I'd do oak park simply because there are more options for commuting via public transportation between the blue/green line and the metra. plus OP will be a shorter commute regardless since it's simply much closer to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs