Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM

201 posts, read 278,246 times

Advertisements

I never really paid McCook any mind, and when I was younger I'm pretty sure I just thought it was a huge athletic center and not even a suburb. But I came across the population the other day and realized McCook has got to be one of the purest examples of an Industrial Suburb, right? In the same vein as Vernon, CA? I would imagine there would be some huge potential for corruption there. Also kind of surprised to see that they have their own police and especially fire department, I would think a city of just 250 would be covered by a neighboring department. Probably some very well paid and very public servants out there.

Any insight on the oddity that is McCook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 AM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
Perhaps having their own police and fire protection is a bonus for industry there...since they are paying the taxes.

One of the cook county commissioners lives in McCook.

There are a couple quarries in McCook.

Joliet Road closed in McCook because it became unstable as a result of mining near the road.

The school district is Lyons 103 and Morton West. Not the worst schools, but certainly not on the level of schools to its west.

The Max seems like a cool place. An indoor athletic facility. Never been there, but it seems cool.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Reading the Village Home Page -- Home Page -- seems like it could have been the inspiration for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_D...on_2)#Episodes

Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM

201 posts, read 278,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Reading the Village Home Page -- Home Page -- seems like it could have been the inspiration for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_D...on_2)#Episodes
Totally agree, I know the town in True Detective was based on Vernon, CA, but as I mentioned Vernon seems very similar to McCook, with Maybe McCook being slighter more desirable of a place to live. I think Vernon has pretty bad schools and most of the housing stock is very low income. I would imagine barring any corruption, it (McCook) must be a pretty nice place to live if you don't mind all the industry around. Being one of just 250 residents, I imagine the folks that live their have a decent say in the management of the town and probably have very responsive/accessible city services.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The few houses are all located between 48th St & Joilet Rd., some look about as nice as those of similar age in LaGrange Park or North Riverside, but none really stand-out. It must make other unusual towns (like Rosemont) seem gigantic by comparison...

Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Definitely an industrial suburb, but not like Maywood or Berkeley. There is very little residential. I would guess that listings rarely appear. Reynolds Metals, ElectroMotive Diesel, used to be there. Thousands of locomotives were built there, though the address was always "LaGrange IL." (McCook has no post office). I was there on a meeting once and was warned there might be explosions due to blasting at the quarry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs