Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

36 posts, read 206,208 times

Advertisements

Are the schools top notch in these towns below..or sketchy?

Des Plaines
Arlington Heights
Mount Prospect
Morton Grove
Schaumburg

As a comparison is Libertyville or Grayslake better than the ones above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 PM

41 posts, read 409,313 times
Depends on the school. Check out

GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link)

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 PM

41 posts, read 409,313 times
Also check out

Sun-Times News Group (http://www.suntimes.com/pcds/cgi/schools.cgi - broken link)

Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
And another:

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Be aware that in this area, where you live within a town determines which school. For example, Arlington Hts. feeds into Hersey, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Rolling Meadows and Prospect high schools.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 85,549 times
Schaumburg is one of the number one districts and elk grove would be a close 2nd. of the others listed I'd say Arl. Hts is another good one. also you can check out schoolreports.com to give you an idea of what the schools are like in comparison to each other. Hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing4him View Post
Schaumburg is one of the number one districts and elk grove would be a close 2nd. of the others listed I'd say Arl. Hts is another good one. also you can check out schoolreports.com to give you an idea of what the schools are like in comparison to each other. Hope that helps.
Number one districts in what ? by what list ? Number 2 by what list? Orland Park, New Trier, Stevenson, Frankfort, Naperville etc etc etc have all had people post on here that they are "NUMBER ONE" or two--there are several lists with several different 'ones' or 'twos'. Fact is, nice desirable burbs have nice desirable schools. Find an area you like and that feels like home. Chicago burbs are loaded with great schools. Who is number one or number two or number 6 depends on who is giving you this info,or who read what on what list or magazine.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM

I believe that it all depends on matter of experience and opinion as well. I grew up in that general area, and know first hand from being a teacher that those districts are academically listed at the very top. THe teachers in the district are highly qualified and raised at a high standard. Also a little know fact is that Elk Grove was rated one of the #1 places to raise a family.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:23 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
The Daily Herald has published a chart of suburban school districts, showing the percentage of graduating high school seniors who are academically prepared to succeed in first year college courses.

Information is listed by county, with the elementary district listed first follwed by the high school district in parentheses. For Unit districts, only the Unit district is listed. The last column displays the districts' percentage of graduating seniors prepared to succeed in first year college-level courses. As a side note, you can also see what the final cost was for educating each student for 11 years.
Daily Herald | A decade of school funding (http://www.dailyherald.com/packages/2007/schoollfinance/chapter10.htm - broken link)

Excel file version for those of you who like to play around with data and sort by variables:
http://www.dailyherald.com/packages/...ter10excel.xls (broken link)

Here's a link to the article that accompanied the chart to provide context for which data was included and why. The crux of the article is that only 27% (overall) of suburban public school graduates are adequately prepared for first year college-level courses. That figure is 21% statewide.
Daily Herald | Chapter 10: Only 1 in 5 high school graduates are ready for college

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing4him View Post
I believe that it all depends on matter of experience and opinion as well. I grew up in that general area, and know first hand from being a teacher that those districts are academically listed at the very top. THe teachers in the district are highly qualified and raised at a high standard. Also a little know fact is that Elk Grove was rated one of the #1 places to raise a family.
"Number 1 to raise a family" by what source ? "Listed at the very top"--Of what ? Again- all these burbs tout the same things. Back up your statements with facts==was it a poll by neighbors in Elk Grove ? kids? was it in Forbes ? was it in the Tribune ? Was it a school report-which one? Did you hear it from your aunt mabel? How do you "grew up in that general area and know from being a teacher''-whats the source? Teachers are ''rasied at a high standard'' (!?) what does this mean ?? They all had good parents? I find Elk Grove congested, crowded, no charm,strip malls galore and too close to O'hare traffic. I wouldnt want to raise kids there-THATS an opinion. I do wish people would inform WHERE they get these general "we're Number 1 " statements and present them as FACTS, it would help to back them up instead of just opinions.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 AM

These posting are not here to criticize or make negative comments about what people have to say. It is to give information to people that are looking for answers.
MOST of the stuff on here is opinion anyways. It shouldnt matter where I get my information either. My sources are HIGHLY reliable, even if I don't sit here and post that in the "forbes" it says this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs