Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,864 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a home in Richton Park. I had family who lived there in the 90s and early 2000s, they lived in a newly built subdivision and went through Matteson 162 schools and rich central and said it wasn't that bad when they lived there. I'm thinking about moving there from Dolton and I want to know if it's still a good suburb, which neighborhoods are good and which ones that aren't so good. My kids will also start school next year so I'd like to know what are the best schools in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 02:16 AM

224 posts, read 310,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterly23 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a home in Richton Park. I had family who lived there in the 90s and early 2000s, they lived in a newly built subdivision and went through Matteson 162 schools and rich central and said it wasn't that bad when they lived there. I'm thinking about moving there from Dolton and I want to know if it's still a good suburb, which neighborhoods are good and which ones that aren't so good. My kids will also start school next year so I'd like to know what are the best schools in that area.
I would recommend several northwest Indiana suburbs over Richton Park. Look into Highland, Dyer, Schererville, or Munster. You’ll most likely pay less in taxes, be closer to better amenities, and located in a better performing school district. The only thing I see Richton Park having over NWI is access to an interstate and the metra line.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
Richton Park residents would not attend Central. They would attend Rich South or Rich East.

I would also recommend moving to Indiana over any of the south Chicago suburbs. Those are a lost cause with the exception of places like Homewood, Flossmoor, Orland Park, Tinley Park, etc.

Rising property taxes (Matteson & Park Forest), rising violent crime, businesses leaving (look at Matteson) and a failed school system have people fleeing if they can.

The area has gotten significantly worse since the 90's and early 2000's.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:22 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Check out Crete, further southeast of Richton and has a better performing high school. The one downside you might have compared to living in the more urban areas of the south burbs is its bit on the rural side.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Richton Park residents would not attend Central. They would attend Rich South or Rich East.

I would also recommend moving to Indiana over any of the south Chicago suburbs. Those are a lost cause with the exception of places like Homewood, Flossmoor, Orland Park, Tinley Park, etc.

Rising property taxes (Matteson & Park Forest), rising violent crime, businesses leaving (look at Matteson) and a failed school system have people fleeing if they can.

The area has gotten significantly worse since the 90's and early 2000's.

I wouldn't know how it is now. I know when my family lived there they lived in the Farm Trace and Richton Square area and those kids attended Central. Maybe NW Indiana would be a good option, I do hear schools do better out there and a good area to start businesses.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:06 PM

300 posts, read 638,825 times
Some nice homes out that way, school district is terrible though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs