Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,205 times

Advertisements

Potentially moving for a new job that would be in Schaumburg IL. Looking for great schools (we have two Elementary/Middle/Junior aged boys that go to a fantastic STEM school in the Nashville, TN area.) Need an area that is close to work (less than a 30 min commute), good schools, parks, and somewhere that accepts outsiders. Currently looking at the 600-900K range for houses. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 10:59 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itcitycurrently View Post
Potentially moving for a new job that would be in Schaumburg IL. Looking for great schools (we have two Elementary/Middle/Junior aged boys that go to a fantastic STEM school in the Nashville, TN area.) Need an area that is close to work (less than a 30 min commute), good schools, parks, and somewhere that accepts outsiders. Currently looking at the 600-900K range for houses. Any suggestions?
Try Barrington.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 AM

93 posts, read 126,229 times
Welcome to city-data!

I second the recommendation for Barrington. I might also recommend Buffalo Grove/Long Grove/Kildeer, but that might be at the top of your commute. I'd also look at Inverness!

There are many great options near Schaumburg, but I'd consider having those suburbs on your radar.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
You could just live in Schaumburg.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
There are a lot of good options in that area, Schaumburg itself among them. I'd also take a look at South Barrington. Much of the housing stock that you will find in that range has been built since the 1980s.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 PM

207 posts, read 213,989 times
Inverness is the first town that came to mind (Fremd school district) for close proximity to Schaumburg.

Barrington --- > if you don't mind being a little further away.

District 96 (majority of Long Grove/part of Kildeer/part of Buffalo Grove) is fantastic, but I think your commute will be over 30 minutes, especially during rush hour.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
Inverness is the first town that came to mind (Fremd school district) for close proximity to Schaumburg.
That's another good recommendation. I'd prefer it over South Barrington as well.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post

Barrington --- > if you don't mind being a little further away.

District 96 (majority of Long Grove/part of Kildeer/part of Buffalo Grove) is fantastic, but I think your commute will be over 30 minutes, especially during rush hour.

It depends on where one lives in LG, Kildeer or BG and where the job is located in Schaumburg as to whether the commute is under 30 minutes (I used to do that commute from BG right next to the border with LG to the Martingale corridor and it rarely took more than 30 minutes, except when it snowed). Plus there are many surface streets that can get you there if 53 is congested. The combination of District 96 and Stevenson HS would be tops if schools are the primary consideration. Not that Fremd or Barrington are second rate - they are both great schools. But not quite in the same league as 96/125 Stevenson (or others like New Trier, Deerfield, Libertyville, but those are too far away).

All that being said, I agree that Inverness would be the best bet when equally balancing both school quality and commute time. I would also look at southwest Palatine. Same schools and commute as Inverness and very nice housing that is overall, a little less expensive than Inverness (which is next door).

Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM

207 posts, read 213,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
It depends on where one lives in LG, Kildeer or BG and where the job is located in Schaumburg as to whether the commute is under 30 minutes (I used to do that commute from BG right next to the border with LG to the Martingale corridor and it rarely took more than 30 minutes, except when it snowed). Plus there are many surface streets that can get you there if 53 is congested. The combination of District 96 and Stevenson HS would be tops if schools are the primary consideration. Not that Fremd or Barrington are second rate - they are both great schools. But not quite in the same league as 96/125 Stevenson (or others like New Trier, Deerfield, Libertyville, but those are too far away).

All that being said, I agree that Inverness would be the best bet when equally balancing both school quality and commute time. I would also look at southwest Palatine. Same schools and commute as Inverness and very nice housing that is overall, a little less expensive than Inverness (which is next door).
I live in 96 (Long Grove)/125, so I'm very familiar with the area and the schools. I would absolutely recommend it, but when the OP posted a max commute of 30 mins, I was hesitant to say that would be my #1 choice due to distance.

To your point, however, I do think it depends on where in Schaumburg the OP will be located job wise. I can get from my house to Woodfield in appx 15 - 20 minutes, BUT that is without heavy traffic/during non rush hour AND Woodfield is right off of 53.

Last edited by olive03; 07-15-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 10,523 times
Quote:
Doesn' have to do with where to live but look into the Illinois Math & Science Academy for your kids for high school. You can live anywhere in IL and attend the school. It's sophomore through senior year of high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs