Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 PM

61 posts, read 87,657 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to this area. Sycamore is charming and quaint, has the basic necessities and very friendly people/community feel (or as far as we can tell from our brief visit). We didn't have time to do as much exploring in maple park/Elburn, but we did drive through and noticed our dollar might stretch a bit further in these places. But from what we could tell, there isn't really a downtown here and they didn't really feel like communities as much as a collection of spread out hours. Are we missing anything? We've had a short visit this weekend but have to go back out of state tomorrow and so we are simply getting a feel for things right now. We are outgoing people who want to make good friends, and that is our only real concern about moving to these smaller areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
So you are vehemently opposed to Batavia?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
Small towns like Elburn and Maple Park have more of a everybody knows everybody vibe which can make it easier to make friends. Because of the very friendly vibe. Elburn is 10-15 minutes away from the medium size suburbs where you will do most of your errands. Maple Park is 15 minutes away from Dekalb where most of your errands will be done. Most small towns aren't as close to shopping, groceries, etc. as Elburn/Maple Park are.

I recommend making another visit to the area soon and explore Elburn/Maple Park and see if you mind the size of these towns. If you decide they aren't for you, then choose Sycamore.
Would you consider the towns near I-90 or would they be too far north for you? I like Elburn, Maple Park and Sycamore, but I think there's a lot of great towns near I-90 worth considering.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 AM

Thank you, what towns near I-90 would you suggest?

And aga412, it's just too busy for us, our dollar goes further, we get more space in the sycamore area. If batavia wasn't right up against Geneva abd st charles it might be more of a consideration, but hubby has been annoyed with the congestion since we got here lol.

Last edited by bdwebb219; 03-02-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 AM

You can live in unincorporated Blackberry Township, Campton Hills/Wasco, or LaFox and still feed into Batavia, Geneva, or St. Charles schools while having less congestion. If highway is still important, you can get on easily at Rt. 47 or Orchard Road from unincorporated Blackberry Township in Batavia.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwebb219 View Post

And aga412, it's just too busy for us, our dollar goes further, we get more space in the sycamore area. If batavia wasn't right up against Geneva abd st charles it might be more of a consideration, but hubby has been annoyed with the congestion since we got here lol.
I would look at Huntley and Hampshire. Huntley is more of a small-medium sized town, but not as congested and big as Batavia. Hampshire is also a small town like Elburn and Maple Park except it may be a bit bigger than Elburn. Hampshire is also around 10-15 minutes from most errands which are in Huntley and Crystal Lake. Both Hampshire and Huntley have easy access to I-90 and good schools.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwebb219 View Post

Oh good grief! If he's fed up with the congestion near Batavia, he's going to hate his job driving all over the area.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard Batavia referred to as "congested" outside of Randall Road.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM

I don't think of Batavia as congested, but I think the OP is just trying to look for a suburb that's not as big as Batavia and where they can get more space.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

4122, thank you. Guys, I really appreciate all the help but I don't think it's necessary to make assumptions about him not liking his job. Just because his job will include a lot of driving doesn't mean he wants to deal with congestion when he is *off* work. And Batavia itself wasn't bad but being hooked up to Geneva and St Charles gives it the feeling of being larger/busier area than what we want. "Oh Good Grief" is just a bit unhelpful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs