Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am reaching out in hopes for some insight into the different areas of La Grange. But first, a little background in case it's helpful...

My husband and I are in our mid 30s, recently married, and looking to relocate from the Ravenswood neighborhood in Chicago to La Grange. We're thinking of starting a family soon, and have chosen La Grange for the good schools, the ability to buy a home with a yard, a walkable downtown/somewhat urban feel, its close to the city for both of our jobs, and it seems like there's plenty to do.

I am looking for any insight into the Sedgwick Park neighborhood, specifically near 10th Ave and 47th Street. I'm hoping to learn what type of reputation this area has, and if it's safe/a good investment? I'm getting the impression this isn't quite as desirable of an area as neighborhoods further north and east, but that it is still a solid option to consider. Insight from local residents would be much appreciated though!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 03:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK36 View Post
Hi there,

I am reaching out in hopes for some insight into the different areas of La Grange. But first, a little background in case it's helpful...

My husband and I are in our mid 30s, recently married, and looking to relocate from the Ravenswood neighborhood in Chicago to La Grange. We're thinking of starting a family soon, and have chosen La Grange for the good schools, the ability to buy a home with a yard, a walkable downtown/somewhat urban feel, its close to the city for both of our jobs, and it seems like there's plenty to do.

I am looking for any insight into the Sedgwick Park neighborhood, specifically near 10th Ave and 47th Street. I'm hoping to learn what type of reputation this area has, and if it's safe/a good investment? I'm getting the impression this isn't quite as desirable of an area as neighborhoods further north and east, but that it is still a solid option to consider. Insight from local residents would be much appreciated though!

Thank you!
You mean North and West, towards downtown?

I think it has a fine reputation, though it is closer to the industrial areas that fall east of La Grange. The closer you are to 47th, or north of 47th, the better than investment in my opinion. Neighborhoods that fall north of 47 and west of South La Grange Rd./12 make up the town's most desirable location.

If La Grange Park has something in budget, many parts are equidistant to downtown as the intersection of 47 and S 10th. I'd recommend looking at southern LG Park as well.

Based on your requirements- commute, semi-urban, schools- are you considering other towns in your search, if the right house in La Grange doesn't pop up? Going back a few years, we considered La Grange along with Western Spring, Elmhurst, Glenview, and Park Ridge when we left the city. We liked La Grange, and felt it had the best and most active downtown other than Elmhurst. Ultimately, we landed in Glenview as we found a home that was close to two stations, one of which that hosts an express downtown. DT Glenview is not nearly as built up as the others were on our list, but it's a large village, and has a lot going on including a really strong park district, great schools, forest preserves, and The Glen. You won't get more in the way of a yard around the core of Glenview than you would in the other towns on the list (unless you have $$$$), but we ended up liking the amenities and charm of downtown and East Glenview.

The premium you pay in Elmhurst and Park Ridge to find a nice house in walking distance to downtown were slightly more substantial, apples to apples, than in La Grange. I think that's remained fairly consistent, so LG might be your best bet.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Yes, you are right! I meant North and West, towards downtown.

La Grange Park looks nice as well, and we are definitely considering it in our search.

Thank you for your thoughts on other towns to consider! Most of those have popped in and out of our conversations but we've focused in on La Grange for now. We're still getting listings for Glenview though, in case the right thing comes along. It's great to hear you found the right home there!

Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM

73 posts, read 163,782 times
We live in the Country Club neighborhood on the other side of La Grange Road but have met many folks who live the 7th Ave School/Sedgewick Park neighborhood. I would not be concerned about that neighborhood, particularly if you're looking around 10th & 47th street. My family was in the same situation you are in, and we are so happy to have ended up in La Grange.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:28 PM

768 posts, read 1,105,789 times
Make sure to search these threads - tons of good La Grange info on the boards...

We live here in DTLG and really enjoy it a lot. Very happy with decision to locate here... We moved to LG 5+ years ago with an 8 month old/young professional family. You can have a life and family here at same time and big city is stones throw away... When we had our 8 month old we would ride the stroller up to the restaurants/bars and have drinks all the time. It never felt like a bland suburbia trap... All the other young families do same thing...

Check village out on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/LaGrangeIL/

Additionally look into https://www.lgnewcomers.com/ - you will instantly know everyone and everything in town via this club...

10th Ave and 47th Street is fine... MW is also right in advice... If you can get into the historic district (see map here: https://www.villageoflagrange.com/214/Historic-District) those are the absolute most desirable and expensive parts...

Let me know if you have any other questions as we are also local residents/5 minute walk to DTLG. On next visit make sure to do kama (if you like indian food), Altiro for latin fusion, or 1416 for Americana flare, Prasino for breakfast and owl and lark for coffee/tea...

Last edited by JJski; 01-28-2020 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Hi Pesco - thank you for your thoughts! It's definitely helpful to hear from residents while we're trying to research a new town.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Make sure to search these threads - tons of good La Grange info on the boards...

We live here in DTLG and really enjoy it a lot. Very happy with decision to locate here... We moved to LG 5+ years ago with an 8 month old/young professional family. You can have a life and family here at same time and big city is stones throw away... When we had our 8 month old we would ride the stroller up to the restaurants/bars and have drinks all the time. It never felt like a bland suburbia trap... All the other young families do same thing...

Check village out on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/LaGrangeIL/

Additionally look into https://www.lgnewcomers.com/ - you will instantly know everyone and everything in town via this club...

10th Ave and 47th Street is fine... MW is also right in advice... If you can get into the historic district (see map here: https://www.villageoflagrange.com/214/Historic-District) those are the absolute most desirable and expensive parts...

Let me know if you have any other questions as we are also local residents/5 minute walk to DTLG. On next visit make sure to do kama (if you like indian food), Altiro for latin fusion, or 1416 for Americana flare, Prasino for breakfast and owl and lark for coffee/tea...
Hi JJski - thank you, this is all great to hear as it sounds like you had a very similar experience to what we're looking for. And thank you for sending those links along - I will definitely check them out.

We've been to 1416, Prasino and Owl and Lark already, and have loved them all. Kama is next! A broad range of restaurants in walking distance from home is a major perk to us.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:46 PM

768 posts, read 1,105,789 times
EK, Make sure to add the LGP quadrant North of Ogden, South of Harding, West of La Grange Road to your search. This is a sweet spot for great deals and feels like an extension of La Grange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs