Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 16,684 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college grad planning to relocate to Chicago's western suburbs in a couple months and was wondering what areas people recommend. I will be living alone so I am looking for a safe area with decent rent. Where can you get the most for your money? I appreciate any advice you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There are close to a hundred "western suburbs" stretching as far as 50+ miles from downtown. Perhaps you could be a little more specific about what you need and where you will be working. I'd hate to recommend Hampshire only to learn you'll be working in Berwyn.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 PM

If all goes well I will be working in Naperville, however, it seems as though the rent in that city is higher than the surrounding areas. Perhaps you have some advice about working in Naperville and living a city nearby?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 AM

A couple places within an easy shot of Naperville where your dollar will go further are Batavia, Lisle, Warrenville, and perhaps the eastern fringes of Aurora. Aurora should be approached with some caution though.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM

I have read that Aurora has some bad areas, so I am definitely going to research the places you just mentioned. If I was thinking about moving closer to city, are places on the southern side safe? I have heard mixed reviews. Thanks so much for pointing me in some kind of direction, its definitely been hard trying to coordinate this move not knowing much about the area! I truly appreciate it

Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoutherncatrojan View Post
I have read that Aurora has some bad areas, so I am definitely going to research the places you just mentioned. If I was thinking about moving closer to city, are places on the southern side safe? I have heard mixed reviews. Thanks so much for pointing me in some kind of direction, its definitely been hard trying to coordinate this move not knowing much about the area! I truly appreciate it
There is Chesapeake Landing on the SE side of Aurora that LOOKS pretty decent, but Im not sure about the living experience. There are some other apartments off of 75th St, too, but cant tell you their name. Sorry! haha A lot of good I am, huh?

Whats your rent limit? How much do you want to spend?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Funny you should mention that place, I was just looking at it! The max I could pay a month is $1000. Ideally I would like to find something in the 900s, but I am willing to pay a little extra for a nicer place. Do you know why people would say to avoid Aurora? I have heard mixed reviews for it.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM

While Aurora is technically a suburb of Chicago, it's big enough to be its own urban center. Aurora -- the whole Fox Valley region actually -- developed independently of Chicago and it only became part of suburbia in the latter 20th century when suburban growth and development eventually reached and enveloped the Fox Valley area. But much of Aurora is still basically urban and has many of the same issues and problems as you'd find in any other traditionally urban environment.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoutherncatrojan View Post
Funny you should mention that place, I was just looking at it! The max I could pay a month is $1000. Ideally I would like to find something in the 900s, but I am willing to pay a little extra for a nicer place. Do you know why people would say to avoid Aurora? I have heard mixed reviews for it.
Check out Railway Plaza in Naperville. Its close to everything in the world. We lived there many, many years back and paid $960 for a 1 BR, but it was worth it. The Metra station is literally right behind the complex. The pool is nice, the clubhouse is excellent, they have a little concierge service, etc, etc. The only problem is parking in there, its tight, especially during rush hour. But youre literally right next to everything you can imagine: Best Buy, Walgreens, gas stations, banks, Key Wester (seafood), Luigi's (fancy Italian), malls, a 5-10 minute drive from bustling downtown Naperville, 5-10 minutes from I-88, a 5 minute walk to the Metra train station, etc, etc... Its a MUCH nicer place than Cheasapeake Landing.

Oh, regarding Aurora, it has a lot of crime in areas of town, thats why its not highly recommended. East Aurora (just East of downtown) is a craphole for the most part. Delapidated old homes that noone seems to care about, spray painted walls, gangs, drugs, crime, etc. Not the best of places. There are areas of Eastern Aurora that are fine, but the problem is that youre not very far from the troubled areas, which is why many dont recommend Aurora. Very far Eastern Aurora is very fancy, particularly White Eagle and that whole area over there.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Thank you for such detailed information about the area! It has made all difference researching housing locations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs