Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have posted on here before about suburbs, I am doing it again, hoping to get some lists together for our visit in 10 days, which I have to tell you I am so excited about I can hardly sleep. Ok, my husband is not concerned with distance really, since he is used to 86 miles one way but would like to be less than that from Chicago. Price, kinda iffy , depends on pay offered but probably up to 1600 in rent. Schools, sure we want good ones, does not have to be #1 but above average. low crime, of course, lots to do, shopping and outdoor activities. Close to transportation for my son, who does not own a car! And if not to much to ask, if you can tell me the areas of the towns you suggest, that way I don't go looking in the "south" (example) when it is not the area to be in. Ok I think that is it..... Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 AM

342 posts, read 1,233,137 times
maybe oak park.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

281 posts, read 928,787 times
I would recommend almost anywhere in Lake County. Cook County is burdened with high taxes (10% sales tax, highest in the country) and a horribly corrupt and incompetent county administration.
Try Gurnee. Lots of shopping, easy access to trains and expressways (about an hour to Chicago), good restaurants, schools are very good to excellent. Housing is well within your budget. You could afford to buy a nice house for what you say you can afford in rent. We are also reasonably close to Wisconsin which has tons of fun things to do and see.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I would recommend almost anywhere in Lake County. Cook County is burdened with high taxes (10% sales tax, highest in the country) and a horribly corrupt and incompetent county administration.
Try Gurnee. Lots of shopping, easy access to trains and expressways (about an hour to Chicago), good restaurants, schools are very good to excellent. Housing is well within your budget. You could afford to buy a nice house for what you say you can afford in rent. We are also reasonably close to Wisconsin which has tons of fun things to do and see.
Thanks for the Info, didn't even know about Gurnee. We know that we are going to have to make some sacrifices when it comes to commute, but I have heard that about cook county and Chicago is just to expensive for us right now, maybe when the kids are gone.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Geneva, Winfield, Warrenville, Naperville, Wheaton come to mind.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Geneva, Winfield, Warrenville, Naperville, Wheaton come to mind.
Any specific areas in these towns? Or are they pretty much good all around?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Any specific areas in these towns? Or are they pretty much good all around?
Those towns I mentioned are, IMO, safe as safe can be in all areas for the most part. There are a ton of cities I could list that are safe, but those seem to meet your qualifications the best (especially the train access). Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
If your budget is limited to $1600 for a single family home you may have some challenges. In rough term that translates into a mortage with taxes and insurance well south of $250K That REALLY does not go far in any desirable suburban area of the region.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Let's start with where your husband intends to be employed. What are his likely hours? The time/cost associated with commuting is almost always a factor.

Are you looking for an apartment, townhouse or a single family home?

What grades are your children in?

Where is it that your son is going that he needs to be able to walk?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM

91 posts, read 294,217 times
I agree with Chet - $1600 wont get you in prime desireable areas - especially when people in those desireable areas have mortgages of $350K +. The desireable areas MAY have condo/townhomes in that range - but you will be sacrificing space.

Now - most burbs have pockets of good bad & ugly. So in my opinion - it doesnt matter where you move to. No one on this forum can recount a tale where a new family moves into town and somehow, someway every criminal in the district swoops down and makes their life unbearable. It just doesnt happen - sure there are incidents but I'd bet that you'd get hit by a car before you become a victim of crime in the burbs - police presence is high and folks arent as sterile as they may be in the metro city.

Now the question is where - If you cant afford DuPage County Burbs,( they are deemed the hot burbs to live in - try McHEnry & Kane. McHEnry and Kane county may fit your budget as they have homes for every tax bracket. Gather a list of burbs from each county - and check what folks have to say about each one here on the forum - I know thats tedious - but a little homework is required for your task at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs