Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

You shouldn't assume you are going to have an uncomplicated birth or that your child will not require any special care when making financial decisions. The hospital bill for my c-section was $24k, not including the OB's fee of over $8k.

The current filing fee for naturalization is $595. A green card for a minor child is $1070. A minor child however can only naturalize when their parents do so if you don't intend to, they can't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Wow. This thread is shocking.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
The cost is worth the American citizenship. I would make sure you give birth in the U.S.
I doubt if most Canadians would agree with that.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It completely depends on your insurance. We paid considerably less than Sukwoo at Prentice Women's Hospital (Northwestern). I think everything was about $1200. The charges were broken down for the hospital, OB, and pediatrician. The experience was great, and we loved our doctor. If you want, DM me and I'll send you her info.

Another issue for you might be citizenship! If your child is born in the U.S., he/she will automatically be a U.S. Citizen (regardless of parentage), and it would be easy to set up dual citizenship with Canada. If he/she is born in Canada, the path to U.S. citizenship will be more complicated (if that's something that you could see as beneficial).
But if the child ever runs for President, the validity of the birth certificate will challenged!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM

398 posts, read 733,022 times
A dual citizen does not need to choose one citizenship at the age of majority. Not sure where anyone thinks that law came from, but it simply does not exist.

Your best bet is to have the child in Canada with free health care. Why would you want to pay for out-of-pocket expenses to have a child in the U.S.? If you want to, you could apply for naturalization now. I have heard naturalization apps taking as little as six months these days. As long as you qualify and you'll be a US Citizen by the time the child is born, then even if the child is born in Canada he or she will be a U.S. citizen automatically by virtue of being born to a U.S. citizen parent.

Only one parent needs to be a U.S.C. for the child to be a U.S.C. by birth. He is then a natural born citizen and could become U.S. President someday. That is, if the U.S. still exists a few decades from now.

Even without prior naturalization, you could get a green card for your child quickly and as soon as both you AND the mother naturalize, your child would be a U.S.C., otherwise your child would have to file his own naturalization petition.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 PM

The child may not naturalize unless the parents do. If the parents become citizens they will be responsible for filing US taxes for the rest of their lives even if they leave the US. There are lots of reasons why people don't naturalize, but if they don't and the child isn't born here, then the child will have to find their own way to stay here eventually.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM

70 posts, read 210,201 times
I'll be delivering at Edward Hospital in Naperville later this year and my out of pocket should be under $500. I knew my insurance was good, but I had no idea who good. Wow!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM

My out of pocket would have been zero if I had not had complications. My total OOP for 2010 ended up being about $7500 between my co-insurance and things that just weren't covered.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM

121 posts, read 318,621 times
Quote:
A dual citizen does not need to choose one citizenship at the age of majority. Not sure where anyone thinks that law came from, but it simply does not exist.
That's not entirely true. It all depends on what country the dual citizenship is with. If it's with, say Japan, the child must choose which citizenship to keep at 18.

Quote:
I doubt if most Canadians would agree with that.
Well, my opinion is that it is. Sure, I'm not Canadian, but that's my opinion.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Well I had 8 kids and my total out of pocket expenses for the births was $0. One was a c section too. One they had to keep the baby in the hospital for a week. My last one was a home birth and our universal plan even covers all the midwife costs now. It actually costs the medical plan more to deliver babies with midwives in birthing centres but that is now becomming very popular here in Ontario. My oldest daughter is due to have her first baby yesterday,LOL. Maybe I'll have my 9th grandchild born tomorrow, at home with a midwife attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs