Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM

25 posts, read 120,649 times

Advertisements

We are looking to get rid of our 2002 Civic and buy a new CR-V in the next month. I know that we can get more for the car if we sell it privately, but since we only have 1 car it might be more convenient to do a trade-in.

Here's where I get confused: are we better off tax-wise buying in WI instead of IL? Looks like if we do a trade-in in IL we cannot deduct it but if we buy in WI we can. Am I reading that wrong? Are we getting hit somewhere else by doing this? (I'm sure we are)

If the trade-in allowance isn't an option for tax purposes when buying from a dealer are we better off just selling it privately and making an extra 1k or so on the car? Any clue what kind of taxes are involved when selling a vehicle privately vs. trading in to a dealer?

We live in DuPage county and will most likely be buying from DuPage county as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Looks like if we do a trade-in in IL we cannot deduct it
False, you do get benefits by trading in your car.

The tax benefit only happens on the transaction price. If your new car costs $20K and your trade in is $2K, you are only taxed on $17K; the trade in comes off the new vehicle price. So if your tax rate is 8% you are saving $3,240 in tax. That means you would need to sell your car privately for more than $3240 to come out ahead vs. the $2K trade in allowance the dealer gave you. Plus add cost of time and advertising. Not sure how it works if you buy in WI. However if you buy in an IL county that charges less sales tax than your county; your county will ask you to pay difference when you register the car. Be sure to research how it works if you buy in WI so you don't end up possibly paying more.
This link has more info.http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Sales/STS76.PDF If you buy in WI you WILL pay tax in Illinois when you register the vehicle. Do not pay any WI sales tax, they should issue you a drive away permit allowing you to register in IL.

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/new_vehicle.pdf Purchasing tips

Vehicle Use Tax
The purchaser of your vehicle pays sales tax, not you selling to private party.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm only seeing the trade-in deduction on the RUT-25 form (for out of state purchases) and not the RUT-50 (for vehicles bought inside IL).

Old 09-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Try page 40. What kind of transaction are you researching?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Yeah, pg. 40 helps, but it looks like it's for form ST-556 for the seller, not the buyer. Gotta love IL taxes! Thanks for leading me to the information though.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Gotta love ol George H.... He's chillin in prison while that fat cats are "collecting" the taxes......

Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Got NOTHING to do with federal govnmt.

Quote:
Gotta love ol George H.... He's chillin in prison while that fat cats are "collecting" the taxes......
Ryan was a crook and Blago is too. At least the previous Republican crook got road builts and passed a capital building program-something this Democratic crook/governor & democratic assembly can't get done. Blame Blago and Todd Stroger for the increased sales taxes. All members of the fine Democratic machine that really watches out for taxpayers $.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
Hi. If I lease a car in a cook county suburb, do I still have to pay Chicago lease tax on that vehicle on top of Illinois tax?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus422 View Post
Hi. If I lease a car in a cook county suburb, do I still have to pay Chicago lease tax on that vehicle on top of Illinois tax?
Theoretically, you pay the taxes for where you live, not where you buy the car. But in reality you pay the sales tax for the county you bought the car in up front, and the Cook County will supposedly come knocking later for the extra sales tax. But I know several Chicagoans who have bought cars in DuPage or other counties with lower sales tax rates and never had the county bill them the difference.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus422 View Post

City of Chicago :: Personal Property Lease Transaction Tax (7550)

8% scheduled to go to 9%...
Such a deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs