Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 AM

49 posts, read 173,979 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I wonder between Costco and Sam's club, in which one quality of items is the best? (food, meat, toys..).

Thanks,

Claire (from France)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franceclaire View Post
Good morning,

I wonder between Costco and Sam's club, in which one quality of items is the best? (food, meat, toys..).

Thanks,

Claire (from France)
Costco, hands down. Sam's is "Walmart" and it's just less quality, overall, as well as the "condition" of the stores themselves. Sams seems more like a "flee market" enviornment with dirtier shopping conditions and clientel. Costco brings more of the middle to upper class to its stores. Both offer same types of discounts and the kirkland brand is nice, offered by Costco.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM

49 posts, read 173,979 times
Thanks,

I don't like Walmart too due to their politic with their employes.

I've got one more question: at costco is the meat "organic" ?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Trader Joe's has organic. I don't know about Costco. Wqlmart does not. The cleanliness of Walmart stores depends upon management. Most of it is pretty bad, but I have been in Walmart's that make Cosco look dirty.

If upscale shoppers look down on the poor and working class then Walmar is NOT a store they should enter. After all Walmart prides itself on paying part-time minimum wage and buying from China to avoid offering health care at home. Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he knew what happened to his baby. The end result is this chain can keep their prices "LOW" and returns to its investors high. What a dea.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I think that prices at Costco are a bit higher than at Sam's. There are some products that I love at Sam's (their fresh salsa rocks!!) and some products I prefer at Costco. Costco does sell some organic products. I like the layout of Costco better than Sam's but I think that is because most of the Costco's that I visit are newer buildings. At either place you need to watch prices because you can purchase some of the items for much less at your local grocery store. I tend to shop Costco simply because it is closer to my house however, when I am near a Sam's I always stop in to get the things I can't find at Costco.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,885 times
Sam's is better if you aren't political. If you have political issues, Costco's.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
I have never been to costco. They are building one in st. charles on randall road. I plan to check it out when it opens. I like sam's. always have, but curious about costco. What are the membership costs there? are they comparable?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM

145 posts, read 655,714 times
Costco is $50/yr. for a membership, I think. As for the original topic, Costco is far better than Sam's, and not just from the political standpoint. Much higher quality.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quality at Sam's is just fine. If you do purchase an item that you find of "poor" quality, they will take it back-including meat. Generally their meat is good. DW says Sam's prices are lower than Costco and membership is lower. Sam's also has better hours especially early AM hours. I think Costco has more "bling" to their stores than Sam's and sells higher end products that Sam's does not. Added bonus to our local Sam's is a Wal-Mart across the parking lot to eliminate an extra trip there. As long as the products are good, I'm playing tighter defense with my money and headed to Sam's and WalMart.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM

111 posts, read 381,360 times
I don't believe Costco sells organic meat, but I may be mistaken.

Other than that, Costco is definitely more upscale--in addition to the bales of toilet paper and pallets of butter, you can buy vintage Bordeaux and expensive watches. Costco's selection also changes on a regular basis--there's always something new to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs