Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 38,786 times

Advertisements

Good Evening All,

Is Buffalo Grove a nice place to live? I've been reading through a lot of threads and am noticing most seem to prefer to live outside of BG if they're going to work there. If my husband will be working in BG, how would you compare Libertyville, Lake Zurich and BG? We max out at 450k. We're headed to IL the end of this month for a tour, and will have 2 short days. Sounds like House Hunters (HGTV, anyone???)!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM

76 posts, read 476,049 times
Cool Good Choices!

Well, out of those 3 places, I would pick Lake Zurich, it is closer to Buffalo Grove than Libertyville, but it is somewhat far. I wouldn't really mind living in the same place as I worked. So if I were you, try Lake Zurich, and Buffalo Grove.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 70,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csewfava View Post
Good Evening All,

Is Buffalo Grove a nice place to live? I've been reading through a lot of threads and am noticing most seem to prefer to live outside of BG if they're going to work there. If my husband will be working in BG, how would you compare Libertyville, Lake Zurich and BG? We max out at 450k. We're headed to IL the end of this month for a tour, and will have 2 short days. Sounds like House Hunters (HGTV, anyone???)!

Thanks.
Hey, I'm in the same boat and looking for the same areas as yourself. Where are you living now? We are coming from NY. We should talk and get together!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM

26 posts, read 132,899 times
Libertyville is real nice, great community and excellent schools. Probably 20 minutes from BG depending on what part of Libertyville you live.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
All three are fine communities.

I would eliminate Libertyville due to otherwise unnecessary fuel costs to commute.

Also within close proximity to BG, is Arlington Heights and Deer Park.

Are you looking for a single family or townhome? Are schools important? How about property taxes?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csewfava View Post
Good Evening All,

Thanks.

REPLY: I live in that area and while Buffalo Grove is a nice town, the traffic is often hectic and backed up. Its a busy town . A plus for BG is, the Park District has alot of activities going on in the summer including regular outdoor concerts at thier Parks . Libertyville is not as hectic, has highly recognized Schools by the State, is a bit fancier area, home resale is better than BG, LZ, and its more cultural. Lake Zurich is a nice area , a growing town , with a little more of a country atmosphere . Id say 'the nicest' all around area of the 3 to live, would be Libertyville but its also a bit more expensive to live there too. All 3 towns are convenient for work travel with major highways nearby and/or running thru the towns. Bear in mind that Lake County has seen a big influx of people moving in over the last 15 years and driving to and from work is often a nightmare ; the roads cannot handle the morning and evening commute adequately . David.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 AM

24 posts, read 84,600 times
I had a former classmate that moved away from BG- she told me that she didn't like being one of the only houses in her neighborhood with any Christmas decorations.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM

24 posts, read 84,600 times
Default someone that moved from BG

I ran into a former classmate who told me she moved away from BG because she didn't like "being one of the only homes on her block during the holidays with Christmas decorations". It's prefectly fine for someone that doesn't celebrate Christmas not to put up decorations but you have to ask yourself if you'd be ok with many of your neighbors having a different faith- if that is different than yours

Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM

36 posts, read 188,538 times
We've been renting in the Libertyville area for 6 plus months due to a transfer and inability to sell our home in Maryland. Libertyville is a wonderful town, excellent schools, very family oriented. That being said, we have been house hunting for 6 months in Libertyville and have the same price range as you. We have been extremely hard pressed to find anything close to providing the space we need ( 4 bedroom with an office) without having to sink 100K into the home. I don't know a lot about Buffalo Grove or Lake Zurich, but Libertyville is really expensive.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default If you can afford it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie707 View Post
We've been renting in the Libertyville area for 6 plus months due to a transfer and inability to sell our home in Maryland. Libertyville is a wonderful town, excellent schools, very family oriented. That being said, we have been house hunting for 6 months in Libertyville and have the same price range as you. We have been extremely hard pressed to find anything close to providing the space we need ( 4 bedroom with an office) without having to sink 100K into the home. I don't know a lot about Buffalo Grove or Lake Zurich, but Libertyville is really expensive.
I think kristie is right on the money, in fact I think that one of those HGTV where "computer enhance" older houses toured some in Libertyville and that was their range/strategy too.

Could be a smart way to go if it won't break your budget OR if you can save 20-30% by doing some of the easier DIY that is another way to $100K worth of improvement with only $70K or so out of pocket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs