Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM

143 posts, read 460,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose125 View Post
Sorry I'm just trying to think of lots of ideas to help you out. I can tell you some places you probably won't want to consider if that might be of any help?

We are very open to any suggestions you have. I'm gathering as much info as I can in a brainstorming kind of way (no wrong answers). My daughter is getting input from friends and future colleagues. You may strike a nerve with her that I wouldn't even consider. Please pass along any thoughts you have. We're coming on Thursday and will be there thru Sunday to check everything out. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your perspectives. It is tremendously helpful.

Last edited by millennialmom; 03-31-2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,035 times
There might be apartments/condos for rent in downtown highland park, that'd be a fairly easy commute in the mornings, have easy access to downtown (metra runs through the middle of the downtown area) and there are some cool things to do (ravinia, easy lake acces, etc). I somehow doubt it'd fall into the "cool" category for someone young & single.

If she is going to getting to work very early, I'd just live in bucktown - its probably a 30 minute drive without traffic early in the morning. Just tell her to either work late every night or leave work very early...

The naperville suggestion was possibly the worst suggestion every by the way.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
There might be apartments/condos for rent in downtown highland park, that'd be a fairly easy commute in the mornings, have easy access to downtown (metra runs through the middle of the downtown area) and there are some cool things to do (ravinia, easy lake acces, etc). I somehow doubt it'd fall into the "cool" category for someone young & single.
mh7 ... If she lived downtown, she wanted to rely on the train/shuttle to get to work. If she has to drive to work every day, I think she wants to minimize her commute. Easy access to the Metra is a high priority as she will probably spend a fair amount of her social time downtown with friends. As a parent, I'm looking for the safest living situation possible. So, imo, Highland Park meets all these criteria. We are trying to be realistic and don't have the expectation of finding "cool" in the suburbs. In then end, she's looking to set the stage for success with her new job/employer; this is most important. I think it's worth a look.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM

158 posts, read 379,313 times
Did you have any luck during your visit?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Default In the end "cool" wasn't a factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose125 View Post
Did you have any luck during your visit?
We had a great visit. We looked at a number of different options. I'll try to summarize as succinctly as possible.

First, she had been planning to live downtown but her work schedule just wouldn't allow it. So, that was her first choice.

We are familiar with Evanston and, on the way in, drove what would be my daughter's commute route. Being new to the area and just starting a new job, we thought the commute was a little long to the Buffalo Grove/Lincolnshire area.

We looked in Arlington Heights. The newer condo buildings offer a great location and nice amenities, if you can find one for rent. The lowest 1 bdrm we could find was $1,600/mo. With a budget of $1,250, give or take, this was a little too much. We looked at the Avalon Apts right downtown. This was a nice alternative for the money. The studios (600+ sq ft) are really neat in that complex with their almost full wall of windows. The one bedrooms also fell within her budget and had balconies. They have a 7 story building, further away from AH Rd which would have provided a quieter alternative to the 11 story building, that has one side bordering AH Rd. These were nice and under strong consideration.

As an alternative, we explored Highland Park and Lake Forest. My daughter has a number of friends from this area and her commute would be about 20 minutes, or so. Last summer when she interned, she visited with her friends and became familiar and comfortable with the commute. With that in mind we looked at a couple of apt buildings in Lake Forest. The two we looked at were both completely rehabbed. One stood out as it was meticulously maintained. Surprisingly, the majority of residents in this 12 unit building are under 30, a mix of professionals and grad students. We met with owners, who in no uncertain terms, laid out their expectations of tenants. No smoking, no pets (not even a fish), don't leave windows opened/cracked during inclement weather and the list went on. At the same time, these units have been rehabbed with top notch appliances, corian, ceramic tile floors/carpeting, white wood blinds, solid wood doors, etc. The units are painted a really nice beige color with white trim; very neutral and easy on the eyes. My daughter has no problems with their rules and wouldn't mind having to live with others who were subjected to the same. Another attraction of this area is being right on Lake Michigan. She enjoyed walking with her friends to the Lake Forest beach area. It's really nice.

Well, she ended up taking the apt in Lake Forest. She has friends there and she knows their parents. This provides an element of comfort for her and for us. It's a decent commute to work. And, we connected well with the landlords. They have created 12 awesome apts and want to keep them that way. We have no problem with that.

Had she not known anyone in the area, I think she would have chosen the Avalon Apt in Arlington Heights. There's no doubt that she would have connected with younger singles there, too.

In the end, "cool" wasn't even a factor. Familiarity, comfort level, commute and having friends in the area won out. Lake Forest hasn't been mentioned with "cool" in any posts I've read, but there are a lot of things that she likes about the area. It will be easy enough to catch the Metra in to the city to hang out with her friends when she wants that kind of "cool."

It really comes down to each person's particular situation and what's important to them. This is how she wants to do it. If it turns out different than what she's expecting, she can always move. But, for right now, this feels like the right thing for her.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Glad she was able to find something that will work, even if it's not her first choice. Sounds like you got kind of lucky too, I can't imagine there's an abundance of rental stock in Lake Forest, much less reasonably affordable rental stock.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Glad she was able to find something that will work, even if it's not her first choice. Sounds like you got kind of lucky too, I can't imagine there's an abundance of rental stock in Lake Forest, much less reasonably affordable rental stock.

We were quite surprised. My daughter mentioned Lake Forest as a possibility so we checked craigslist and found a couple places. All in, during the coldest winter months, it's estimated that her total monthly cost will be around $1,125. This is for a 1 bdrm with about 675-700 sq ft.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Your daughter sounds mature. She values her comfort and friendships more than " cool". She will have a fabulous summer in Lake Forest.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Your daughter sounds mature. She values her comfort and friendships more than " cool". She will have a fabulous summer in Lake Forest.
Thanks, we are all really comfortable with this decision. She looks to be there for a while.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 PM

158 posts, read 379,313 times
Good! I'm glad she found something =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs