Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,987 times

Advertisements

I’ve been looking at single family homes for a little over a month now, and I’m still struggling to find a good Chicago Suburb that is affordable, and has available Metra spots. I’ve already looked at Wheaton, but there isn’t too much in my price range, and more recently I’ve been looking at Bartlett, Hanover Park, and Roselle. I like many of the houses in Hanover Park, but I’m worried about resale, and crime. Bartlett is definitely nice, but finding a house in my price range (230ish max) has been difficult. I’d love to live close to where I live now (Naperville), but I realize parking on the BNSF is basically impossible.

Does anyone have suggestions on other towns I should look at that fit some of this criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think the shortage of parking for BNSF is exaggerated. Besides the municipal lots there are many other options including civic groups / churches that offer parking that is mostly affordable.

The housing available at $230K is not plentiful, or of sterling quality, but there are units available.
I was out the other day and I think this is one example of good value in Westmont: 139 S WASHINGTON St, WESTMONT, IL 60559 | MLS# 07208614

Not the prettiest house, but it could be a very nice deal for some one one, and down the road it could be updated / freshened up for a nice return.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider817 View Post
I’ve been looking at single family homes for a little over a month now, and I’m still struggling to find a good Chicago Suburb that is affordable, and has available Metra spots. I’ve already looked at Wheaton, but there isn’t too much in my price range, and more recently I’ve been looking at Bartlett, Hanover Park, and Roselle. I like many of the houses in Hanover Park, but I’m worried about resale, and crime. Bartlett is definitely nice, but finding a house in my price range (230ish max) has been difficult. I’d love to live close to where I live now (Naperville), but I realize parking on the BNSF is basically impossible.

Does anyone have suggestions on other towns I should look at that fit some of this criteria?
Perhaps Downers Grove? They are expanding the Belmont lot and seem to be putting in a parking structure.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Perhaps Downers Grove? They are expanding the Belmont lot and seem to be putting in a parking structure.
Yeah Downer's Grove and Lisle have a 5-7 year wait for a parking permit; though apparently Lisle has alot more parking at other private lots. The issue with that is that I often don't get back to the area until 8:30 or later, which can be an issue in some lots.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Yeah Downer's Grove and Lisle have a 5-7 year wait for a parking permit; though apparently Lisle has alot more parking at other private lots. The issue with that is that I often don't get back to the area until 8:30 or later, which can be an issue in some lots.
Oh wow, I am sorry to hear that. I hoped the parking crunch would have gotten better with the new lots. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

We live in Naperville, and when my husband goes to his corporate office in Chicago, he takes the bus to the train station. The buses run pretty frequently, and he doesn't have to find anywhere to park.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:

South Berwyn is right along the BNSF line and has plenty of parking. They're building a new parking deck now also. Or you could find a house 4 blocks from the train like we did and not have to worry about it. It's nice, I can tell you! Elmwood Park, Galewood, Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park may be other options, though I don't know what their parking situation is like for commuter trains. There too you may want to seek out a house within walking distance of a train. Never a bad idea.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM

211 posts, read 529,992 times
Des Plaines has a metra, a nice downtown, is closer to the city than any of them other towns you've mentioned, and is affordable.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
South Berwyn is right along the BNSF line and has plenty of parking. They're building a new parking deck now also. Or you could find a house 4 blocks from the train like we did and not have to worry about it. It's nice, I can tell you! Elmwood Park, Galewood, Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park may be other options, though I don't know what their parking situation is like for commuter trains. There too you may want to seek out a house within walking distance of a train. Never a bad idea.
I used to park in Berwyn for the BNSF. Its a quick trip downtown and parking was almost always available somewhere along the stretch from Harlem to Ridgeland though you may have to walk a few blocks if you take a train after 8am. If they are building a parking structure it should be a much better situation when that is available too. Most if not all trains stop at Berwyn. Call Berwyn City Hall for info. I paid by the quarter but they also had annual stickers available too at a decent discount over the quarterly rate. Parking was not assigned; first come first serve so you could be in a different spot everyday.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I used to park in Berwyn for the BNSF. Its a quick trip downtown and parking was almost always available somewhere along the stretch from Harlem to Ridgeland though you may have to walk a few blocks if you take a train after 8am. If they are building a parking structure it should be a much better situation when that is available too. Most if not all trains stop at Berwyn. Call Berwyn City Hall for info. I paid by the quarter but they also had annual stickers available too at a decent discount over the quarterly rate. Parking was not assigned; first come first serve so you could be in a different spot everyday.
For both people who mentioned Berwyn, what areas of the town should I avoid or are more sketchy then others, or is it generally pretty safe.

Also, how is Cook County? I've never lived within it, but I've heard alot about taxes and other issues with it.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Yes, taxes are high in cook but you are not far from dupage in Berwyn. Generally south Berwyn is safe, it gets a little sketchy the closer u get to 22nd street. Lyons is also right there too. I drove to Berwyn from Bridgeview. Berwyn will also have a cheaper metra fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs