Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
There is not a significant Italian population in the Northern Suburbs. Most people are of English, German, or Irish ancestry. You'll find more Italians in the closer in Western Suburbs and in neighborhoods within the city limits. However, Polish and Irish are the most dominant in the City of Chicago. Most of Illinois is of German ancestry.
most of the country is of german ancestry, your absolutely right.

aside from pockets of counties in the North East where they can be predominantly irish, italian, english, and in the southwest where they are predominantly mexican, or south east where they are predominantly african american or even southerners who considerthemselves just "american"... the rest of the country is decidedly german.

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just so happens i grew up in one of the few italian dominated areas of the country North Jersey) and currently live in the ONLY predominantly polish county in the country (Luzerne, PA).... I am italian and would love to see the italian markets and deli's that i grew up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I would disagree that most of Illinois is of German descent. I would have to see real statistics on it from a credible source. In Fulton County alone I can name 50 families that were Scots. Irish, Dutch or English and only one German family. I am related to all of them. .I can take you to Peoria County which is 2/3 the size of Cook County where you will find Italians, Greeks, Mexican, Spanish, middle-eastern, Lebanese, eastern Indian, black, Dutch, Puerto Rican, English, Chinese, Asian, and the largest Jewish Community outside of Chicago. And there is a small German Society, too, but it does not dominate this county either. There is a Swedish settlement in Bishop and an Amish settlement in Arthur. I don't think Chicago stats would be much different.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
It is a widely known fact that Illinois' most dominant ancestral group in German. The census stuff makes me laugh because how is Hispanic or African-American an ancestral group? It's hard for you to rank African-Americans because they don't even know where they are from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the 2007 estimates, 21.1% of the population had German ancestry, 13.3% had Irish ancestry, 7.9% had Polish ancestry, 6.7% had English ancestry, 6.4% had Italian ancestry, 4.6% listed themselves as American, 2.4% had Swedish ancestry, 2.2% had French ancestry, other than Basque, 1.6% had Dutch ancestry, 1.4% had Norwegian ancestry and 1.3% had Scottish ancestry.

Last edited by US-Traveller; 11-20-2009 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs