Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 16,882 times

Advertisements

We are a family with two children, 4 and 5 years old, thinking about moving to a suburb. What is nice, safe and relatively easy to go to Hyde Park from? We are especially looking for possibility to rent. We live in Lincoln Park now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimforsa View Post
We are a family with two children, 4 and 5 years old, thinking about moving to a suburb. What is nice, safe and relatively easy to go to Hyde Park from? We are especially looking for possibility to rent. We live in Lincoln Park now.
The most common choices are Homewood/Flossmoor, Oak Park, and Beverly (part of Chicago but with a suburban feel in parts). These are the best combination of close and nice, where "close" means different things in each case. For H-F e.g. it is the incredible convenience of the metra.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
There are a number of folks that work at UofC (both medical and scientific) that live in the western Cook Co / eastern DuPage Co area of Riverside, Western Springs, LaGrange, Indian Head Park, Burr Ridge, Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills. The Stevenson has fewer exits / less traffic than other expressway routes and the Lake Shore Drive is very lightly traveled south of McCormick place. The quality of schools and housing is big draw and while rental apartments are not particularly common there are some advantages to renting a single family house. The proximity to the Argonne Lab where a sizeable portion of the staff has ties to UofC (which operates the lab under a contract for the the DOE) and the "back office" operations of the UofC medical center in Darien are further evidence of the desirability.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 16,882 times
We would like to use the metra so I guess Homewood/Flossmoore would be a good option than. Is it a safe area? Are there possibilities to rent small houses?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Everyone has their own level of tolerance. I have to take the kids to school in Hyde Park every day, tried pretty much everything when I wanted to buy a house outside of Hyde park. I really liked Oak Park but the commute was a bit too much for me (40-45 minutes in traffic, 30 without). I found the Stevenson to be pretty hellish coming in -- could easily be over an hour from places like Burr Ridge. H-F was a very relaxing train ride but the drive wasn't so great. Beverly was always 17-30 minutes. I chose Beverly. Obviously, if you have to go to Argonne National Lab the western burbs are extremely convenient. If not, it's a bit of a stretch. I'd try the commute first before looking in that area.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimforsa View Post
We would like to use the metra so I guess Homewood/Flossmoore would be a good option than. Is it a safe area? Are there possibilities to rent small houses?
I think it's a very good option -- and yes, every size of house exists. There are some who fear that those areas are deteriorating, but I know a lot of U of C people in that area and they still really enjoy it. Metra drops off in the heart of Hyde park, so it is very convenient. I would get opinions from others on how they perceive the area.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
While it is true that there are a nice range of homes in Flossmoor and Homewood, not sure how popular it is to rent 'em out. The length of time on the market might motivate some sellers to consider renting, but I recall that Flossmoor has relatively few rentals available -- it is not attractive to investors as it is pretty high priced and is known to be pretty restrictive in enforcing ordinances. Good thing for residents, harder for less than ethical investors to make a quick buck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs