Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM

39 posts, read 93,815 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to the Chicago area. My husband and I are in our 30’s and we have a 4 year old son. My office is in Bloomingdale and my husband’s office is in Skokie. We need help finding a place to live that is kind of a middle ground, but still close to the City. We are going to need a rental, at least 2 bedrooms in a safe area for under $1300/mo. We are not interested in apartment complexes, but would prefer a house or multi-unit building. Also, any suggestions on where to look for a place? We’ve browsed through Craigslist, Hotpads and realtor.com for rentals – it’s just hard to get an idea of the areas, since we’ve never been to Illinois.

Another consideration is, would we be able to commute to either office from train or bus? (Please forgive my ignorance on this matter, I’ve never really dealt with this sort of transportation.) The reason I ask is that we currently only have one vehicle and are not sure if we need a second once we move.

I’m pretty sure I’ve found daycare for our 4 year old son, a place several colleagues have recommended and that their children attend. But if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. He won’t be starting school until 2011 since his birthday is in October.

Thanks in advance for any help. J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,733,663 times
The suburbs have terrible public transportation. It consists of METRA going into the city and PACE bus. PACE is very slow suburb to suburb. Unless you are commuting on the same METRA line, you have to go into city, and then back out to the suburbs on a different line.

If you want a multi unit building, your best bet is the city or close suburbs. Skokie is a much closer suburb to the city and is more urban than Bloomingdale. A midway point is Des Plaines, but you would both need a car. You can find multi unit buildings or houses there for rent.

Other midway points are Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, and Bensenville, but you will need a car for all these suburbs. The only way one car will work is if you live in city and your husband's office is on the yellow L line (Skokie Swift) from the city and you can take the car to work.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,944,391 times
Skokie has better transportation to more areas. You could live in Des Plaines or Schaumburg, which have bus service to Skokie, but you would still have to drive to Bloomingdale. The latter is off the beaten path, and used to be exclusively residential.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks so much for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I think we are leaning more toward living in the city than a suburb. Would the commute be awful for me driving to Bloomingdale? (with construction and traffic) The yellow L line stops about 2 miles from my hubby's office, which is a bummer so it looks like we will be car shopping. Unless I can talk him into getting a bicycle!

What areas are the "safest"? (I know, I know... no where right? but safer than most?) We've looked at Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown... any info would be really appreciated. It's hard not being there to look around for ourselves.

thanks again!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM

The Skokie Swift yellow line can be connected to from the Red Line, so look at those areas off the red line. Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Edgewater. Your commute to Bloomingdale will be at least an hour from those neighborhoods, possibly more. Unfortunately, Chicagoland is so big that at least one of you will have the horrible commute, unless you live midway with 2 cars in Des Plaines, Schaumburg, Park Ridge, etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,000,427 times
Since you have a child, I would suggest living as close as possible to daycare. I would also suggest that the daycare be as close as possible to the workplace of whomever is going to have primary responsibility for drop off and pick-up. I think if you got a call during the day that your son had become ill, you'd want to be able to get there as soon as possible. It's great that you both have jobs, but the commuting is going to be fairly tough, don't know what you're used to.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The Skokie Swift yellow line can be connected to from the Red Line, so look at those areas off the red line. Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Edgewater. Your commute to Bloomingdale will be at least an hour from those neighborhoods, possibly more. Unfortunately, Chicagoland is so big that at least one of you will have the horrible commute, unless you live midway with 2 cars in Des Plaines, Schaumburg, Park Ridge, etc.
Thanks again for the info! We currently live about 20 miles from work, so it's about 30-45 minute drive sometimes in traffic. I guess an hour wouldn't be too big of an adjustment. Is Oak Park a nice area?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Since you have a child, I would suggest living as close as possible to daycare. I would also suggest that the daycare be as close as possible to the workplace of whomever is going to have primary responsibility for drop off and pick-up. I think if you got a call during the day that your son had become ill, you'd want to be able to get there as soon as possible. It's great that you both have jobs, but the commuting is going to be fairly tough, don't know what you're used to.
Yes, the place we were referred to by colleagues is less than 2 miles from my office in Bloomingdale. And if that doesn't work out, I will still look only in that area around my office for daycare so he is close to me.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Oak Park is pretty nice in most parts, but its surrounded by the high crime neighborhood of Austin (Chicago) and the two heavy gang suburbs of Maywood and Cicero. So providing you are in a nice area, it's nice if that makes sense. Close to Bloomingdale, a little bit of a trek from Skokie.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,000,427 times
I like Oak Park, definitely a more urban suburb. There's a great upscale Mexican restaurant there that I can't remember the name of right now, but can find. Also a very good Thai on North Ave, I'd have to find the name of that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs