Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I agree with the article for the most part 6 85.71%
I disagree with the article completely 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

http://www.chattanoogachamber.com/PD..._june_2005.pdf

If you read all of that, then please post whether you think they gave a fair assessment for our city or just over glorified it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
jeez, care to summarize the link and give people a clue as to what you're talking about. I can't even open the link

Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
jeez, care to summarize the link and give people a clue as to what you're talking about. I can't even open the link
Ranked America's most diverse economy.
Ranked America's city of the future for telecom and IT.
Ranked the transportation hub of America due to flight time ease and railroads.

The city attracts thousands of new companies for relocation and is the ideal business climate for America.

Agree or disagree?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:09 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times
Isn't the article kind of...dated?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
its pretty true, from an IT standpoint it will serve well for datacenters given the network... Microsoft just built a huge server farm there. If IL can keep corp tax down then, yes...
fiber networks have to follow same path in general as railroads and cars for transmission, there are packets traveling, and the data has to be routed in the same manner.

Madison in the area is also positioning itself as a large tech/biotech area.

I agree with first 3, disagree with "The city attracts thousands of new companies for relocation and is the ideal business climate for America"

Probably suburban dallas/houston is better for this.

the chicago merc has also bought nymex and cbot since then, making the trading stuff true as well.

its accurate on texas as state of the future too... it has grown a lot since that article as well.

so on yours...

Ranked America's most diverse economy. (this is true, but diverse doesn't mean BEST)
Ranked America's city of the future for telecom and IT. (silicon valley, la and boston and probably research triangle/dc are still ahead...it will be strong though and has large IT employment, though not powerhouse software and hardware companies...)
Ranked the transportation hub of America due to flight time ease and railroads. (this has been true for a long time)

The city attracts thousands of new companies for relocation and is the ideal business climate for America. so do most other major metros the size of chicago, given there are only 2 bigger, la and nyc, well... there you go.

Last edited by grapico; 06-14-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Isn't the article kind of...dated?
Shouldn't matter. The things stated in the article aren't necessarily false even now. Even though the city has it's fair share of problems (granted, it's got quite a bit) it's got a lot of positive things to keep it over balance for a greater good.

And I don't think that's homerism of me to say so, influence of the city, seen how massive it is to the world, when I used to live in Singapore- New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, & Toronto are the only North American cities they acknowledge there for great opportunities. There is no Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its pretty true, from an IT standpoint it will serve well for datacenters given the network... Microsoft just built a huge server farm there. If IL can keep corp tax down then, yes...
fiber networks have to follow same path in general as railroads and cars for transmission, there are packets traveling, and the data has to be routed in the same manner.

Madison in the area is also positioning itself as a large tech/biotech area.

I agree with first 3, disagree with "The city attracts thousands of new companies for relocation and is the ideal business climate for America"

Probably suburban dallas/houston is better for this.

the chicago merc has also bought nymex and cbot since then, making the trading stuff true as well.

its accurate on texas as state of the future too... it has grown a lot since that article as well.

so on yours...

Ranked America's most diverse economy. (this is true, but diverse doesn't mean BEST)
Ranked America's city of the future for telecom and IT. (silicon valley, la and boston and probably research triangle/dc are still ahead...it will be strong though and has large IT employment, though not powerhouse software and hardware companies...)
Ranked the transportation hub of America due to flight time ease and railroads. (this has been true for a long time)

The city attracts thousands of new companies for relocation and is the ideal business climate for America.
Yeah I agree, having the most diverse economy doesn't ever grant you of having the best, but it also saves you from rock bottom like Detroit. It insures your cities prominence and existence in the future.

I can only imagine how cities like Houston, Los Angeles, Las Vegas are faring from one industry having 20% or more impact on their economy, it's a nightmare especially when considering what can/will happen in the future.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Umm things change alot in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago