Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could offer me some suggestions.

I graduated 5 years ago with an MS in Chemistry and have fallen out of love with science in a big way. The only jobs I can get are these temp lab grunt jobs that offer no benefits and pay poorly. I believe my science career is at a dead end and am looking for a real job.

What is hot in the Chicago area that would likely hire a science grad or would only need a little additional training.

I am skilled with math, my hands, computers (windows and office applications).

I am more on the introverted side of the scale and would not be able to stand sales or customer service type jobs.

Could you bounce a few ideas my way. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
If you are able to learn a programming language or two on your own, I think you would be a good candidate for a software testing job. I know my husband's company just hired someone for that type of role but there are many trading companies in Chicago and a friend recently mentioned to me that they need someone for the same type of role.

I think the key is to leverage the skills you already have and spin them in a way that makes sense for the positions you're seeking. If you have a science/lab background I would think it would be easy to say that you're methodical, organized, curious, etc. Those are all skills that fit into a software testing position well (the goal of the position is essential to break the program so the software engineers can strengthen it and avoid crashes).

If you've been working in a scientific field, you probably also have strong analytical skills. If you can demonstrate through your resume and cover letter that you are interested in the financial markets (assuming you do some research and learn as much as you can about them) you could also be a good candidate for a financial analyst position.

Those are just some ideas I have, hope it helps a little...

Edited to add that the financial industry is one in Chicago that does still seem to be hiring... even a lot of the more technical/IT jobs are for trading and financial companies. I personally think that is the industry to focus your efforts on if you're going to try and pick up new skills to find a different type of job. Of course, I work in the financial industry, so it's also the industry I am surrounded by the most in my daily life.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
When SCIENCE grads are getting frustrated, and looking at "other" types of employment, then you know that something is wrong in America...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Default Another Idea

My friend works at the VA hospital near UIC and I know their cheif biomedical engineer just left, which means there's an opening at the supervisor level there, too... I'm not sure if you could spin your experience as fitting for that job, but there's a shot.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site is a great way to see what government positions are available and the applications require so much writing that it gives you a good opportunity to explain whatever you want to about your experience and put whatever spin on it that you need to in order to fit the job.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
When SCIENCE grads are getting frustrated, and looking at "other" types of employment, then you know that something is wrong in America...

I can recall a recent article on MSN or NYT that talked about not enough people going into science related fields. However, Americans are looking at the payoff and not seeing much of anything. Or, employers are looking for smart people with science degrees, but aren't willing to pay much over $14/hr.

My girlfriend's sister is in that same boat. She has been at a job making $16/hr with her MS in Chemistry too. She's extremely bright and could potentially do wonderful things, but the field is extremely limited.

To the OP: If you feel like you could make a huge career change and love numbers, critical thinking and mathematics, looking to QC/QA. Some people I know are employed as a QA supervisor/mgr (and are Six Sigma Black Belts) and are making a ton of money. If your statistics skills are polished, give it a go.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I definitely suggest a Quality Analyst or Business Analyst job. My partner was a physics major, graduated when the economy was real rough and wasn't able to get into grad school. He's an application analyst now and it plays well to his skills set, pays well and has loads of career potential.

That said, have you looked at positions with Argonne or Fermi National laboratories? They're both in suburbs, but employ a truck ton of scientists and the benefits are insanely good. I worked at Argonne (in a non-science position) and I put in 2.5% to my 403b and Argonne put in 9%. Guarantee you I'll never get that again.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
After flunking a course my brother was almost downgraded to a Chemistry degree instead of a Chemical Engineering degree. He now gets $125,000 as a Sr Automation Eng at Dow Chemical in Lake Jackson.

Maybe you should go back to school and take only the courses you need to get a better Chem Eng degree.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 PM

77 posts, read 160,685 times
I have a science degree and it's really tough to get a science job where you aren't making bombs or doing some sort of financial analysis for some soul crushing, money grubbing company. It's not like we can just start up our own company either. America is completely f***ked if it can't understand the value of advancing the knowledge of humanity even if it has no immediate market value.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
...America is completely f***ked if it can't understand the value of advancing the knowledge of humanity even if it has no immediate market value.
Would you not say the whole world is f'd then? I really do not see much of "advancing the knowledge of humanity even if it has no immediate market value" going on in the rest of the world.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I definitely suggest a Quality Analyst or Business Analyst job. My partner was a physics major, graduated when the economy was real rough and wasn't able to get into grad school. He's an application analyst now and it plays well to his skills set, pays well and has loads of career potential.

That said, have you looked at positions with Argonne or Fermi National laboratories? They're both in suburbs, but employ a truck ton of scientists and the benefits are insanely good. I worked at Argonne (in a non-science position) and I put in 2.5% to my 403b and Argonne put in 9%. Guarantee you I'll never get that again.
I've looked at Argonne. Not many openings that I would qualify for. They want a specific Ph. D. most of the time and years of very specific experience. Not many openings period.

I'm really interested in business positions and doing a complete career change. Science has just eroded my life for so long I've lost all my passion for it. How could I get one without a business degree though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago