Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

I live in River North. I can smelll restaurants all the time. That's fine and expected. That's not what I mean by "air pollution."

What I'm talking about is grease smoke. There is some place (I think it's Portillo's, but honestly it could be Fogo de Chao or any number of other nearby places) that frequently releases such large quantities of grease smoke that you can taste the grease in the air blocks away. When that happens, it's disgusting, and as if someone dumped a bucket of tallow on hot coals.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did you try to do anything about it and if so, what did you try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
There are a bunch of steak houses down there... It is just the smell at night. Not sure if you can do anything about it though. If your lucky the wind will blow in from the west and bring you the smell of chocolate. Weber Grill is also a huge meat cooker.
There are some places while waiting for the el that is above a mexican place I think I am eating refried beans and lard.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Hog Butcher for the World,
Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders.........

Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If your lucky the wind will blow in from the west and bring you the smell of chocolate.
Interesting example, given that you can almost never smell that anymore since the EPA forced them to scrub their emissions.

And this isn't just wood smoke and it isn't just cooking smells, it's heavy grease smoke. I can't imagine it's even close to being healthy, since charbroiling is known to produce carcinogens. If the City can ban smoking in taverns, I'm not sure how it can allow carcinogen-laden air to be released in such amounts.

Most of the steakhouses don't release the kind of smoke I'm talking about - it is far heavier than the average cooking smell. It's worse than even the smell of a grill when I grill my own meat. It's a concentrated grease combustion smell/smoke.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
I work in the NW loop, and smell chocolate pretty often.

Then I get the uncontrollable urge to watch 'Romancing the Stone' with a box of Fannie Maes and some kleenax.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Interesting example, given that you can almost never smell that anymore since the EPA forced them to scrub their emissions.

And this isn't just wood smoke and it isn't just cooking smells, it's heavy grease smoke. I can't imagine it's even close to being healthy, since charbroiling is known to produce carcinogens. If the City can ban smoking in taverns, I'm not sure how it can allow carcinogen-laden air to be released in such amounts.

Most of the steakhouses don't release the kind of smoke I'm talking about - it is far heavier than the average cooking smell. It's worse than even the smell of a grill when I grill my own meat. It's a concentrated grease combustion smell/smoke.
Just typical policy I guess. Same way with states that don't have emissions controls on the cars. Jogging through streets is not too healthy on the lungs, that is why I try to go out by the lake when I'm taking in more oxygen.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
We have high levels of chromium in our drinking water,high levels of diesel fuel emissions in our Metra trains/at the Metra stations downtown/in our air,and severe car emissions pollution at street level. You are worried about fumes from restaurants?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
We have high levels of chromium in our drinking water,high levels of diesel fuel emissions in our Metra trains/at the Metra stations downtown/in our air,and severe car emissions pollution at street level. You are worried about fumes from restaurants?
Next time someone rags you out for smoking a cigarette or "polluting the air" with food smells tell them to choke on this :

High levels of chromium found in Chicago-area tap water - Chicago Tribune

Metra riders subjected to high amounts of diesel soot, testing finds - chicagotribune.com

Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah...you are in the city, there is pollution. If you don't want to be subject to it, need to move to the country. I have had water filters as long as I can remember, I am not sure if they will take out the chromium 6 though.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

And now the Metra air pollution is said to be worse than was thought:

"A summary of tests conducted in response to a Tribune investigation shows the highest levels of lung-damaging soot inside Metra's stainless steel cars were in outbound trains. Levels at times spiked hundreds of times above what is normally found on urban streets."

Metra: Metra's dirty air problems even worse than previously thought. - chicagotribune.com

And there is always that great air coming from our two coal fueled power plants:

"The fight has been under way for years, with critics citing medical studies that attribute premature deaths, heart attacks, and respiratory diseases to the soot and chemicals that Fisk and Crawford put in the air."

Residents in Pilsen, Little Village call for the cleanup or closing of Fisk Generating Station and Crawford power plant due to concern over pollution | abc7chicago.com

But I am more worried about the smell and fumes of steak and cheeseburgers in River North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago