Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 18,389 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to chicago in mid feb next year, and just looking at my budget. I'm thinking of staying in the loop so I can get the train to work (which is out quite a way, but right on a station), which is inevitably going to eat up a fair chunk of my budget.

I've been guessing some costs but was wondering if anyone could let me know if I'm dreaming about any of these. Please note it's for two people, myself and my girlfriend, who will not be working at least initially.

Food: $800/month
Transport (metra, CTA, taxis, zipcar): $300/month
Power/Heat: $300/month
Phone(s): $150/month
Internet: $80/month

Do any of these seem way off? I've tried to be conservative and err on the high side. Are there any other significant ones I've forgotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
$800 per month for food for 2 people? Ya'll don't cook?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Can and intend to cook, with maybe a few lunches a week bought and dinner bought a few times a month.

This is the biggest guess I made as I'm not in the US and don't know how much groceries cost, plus I assumed they'd be pricey if buying at downtown grocery stores. Can you suggest a better number?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
power could vary depending upon whether the place you rent has central heat ( some low rises still have radiator - many high-rises have central heat and air) ..electricity by itself, figure 60-100/month on the high side ..Gas for cooking only is pretty reasonable.. You might be able to do better on the phone if you shop around w/ different carriers and stay 'cell only' .. internet will vary as well, but I think that's a good approximation if you need broadband ..DSL could be cheaper, or maybe tethering to the cellphone if you just need web/mail (no torrent/HD video, etc) ..

Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
You are overestimating unless you intend to go really high end with food,run your heat full blast all of the time,have an abnormally fast internet speed, and have high end cell phone plans.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbanz View Post
Can and intend to cook, with maybe a few lunches a week bought and dinner bought a few times a month.

This is the biggest guess I made as I'm not in the US and don't know how much groceries cost, plus I assumed they'd be pricey if buying at downtown grocery stores. Can you suggest a better number?
$450 (including toiletries). The number should go down after you initially stock-up.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
$450 (including toiletries). The number should go down after you initially stock-up.
yeah, I was thinking around $200 per person, not really including toiletries (which I would never buy from a supermarket anyways). it could be a bit more if you plan on only buying organic foods or plan on eating out a lot. and it could go lower if you become a very savvy shopper (admittedly hard to do if you're new to the country), check coupons/sales, and supplement you diet with home grown produce from a garden (a bit tough to do w/ Chicago's winters, but not impossible). your first shopping trip may be more expensive as you stock on on items that deplete slowly (e.g., flour, spices, sugar).

Internet shouldn't be much more than $50 for a mid-range package. the phone bill shouldn't be that high unless you got some high end data plans on there. get a family plan and forgo the data plan unless it's absolutely needed (this means not going w/ all those higher end smart phones)

to heat up my old apartment (a 2 bedroom, around 1000 square feet, give or take), it cost $120/month on budget billing to heat (this means we paid this amount every month, including during the summer. if you don't do budget billing, your summer bills can be as low as $20, but the winter can be much higher) and electricity averaged about $50, including the months we used air conditioning. I'd budget around $200 for electricity and heat, though you could luck out and get an apartment with heating included.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,166 times
A monthly CTA pass costs $86, cabs on top of that will depend on how often and where to.

Our heat bill was never more than $80 a month when we lived in the Loop. Our building had exclusive providers for tv and Internet so we couldn't shop around, but it was around $50 for tv and $40 for Internet. Our cellphone bill is $120 with two iPhones. We didn't have a landline, we used Skype to call internationally and just used the free minutes on the cellphones to call within the US.

You can shop at Whole Foods (also known as Whole Paycheck) and Treasure Island every day and spend $800 a month, but you could definitely keep it under $100 a week shopping at the regular grocery stores.

You didn't say where you are coming from but keep in mind that US downtowns aren't always like European ones. Living in the Loop might not be what you are bargaining for. If you can get a short-term lease while you figure out the area it might be better.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Good to know I wasn't underestimating anything, it should put a few more dollars in my pocket.

I definitely plan on staying somewhere short-term, if only for a few weeks to have a look around. I've been told the loop gets pretty dead after working hours end. Problem is, commuting to my office will be about an hour on the train (through not so good neighbourhoods, so living closer along the line is not so attractive). I don't really want to add to this time with another bus or train to Union station. Living centrally also gives my girlfriend the most options for a commute if/when she finds work.

I'm not totally committed to anything of course so if it looks like we can't handle the loop we'll have to look elsewhere!

Thanks again for the info everyone.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,166 times
Where is your office located? That might help us suggest areas for you. Most of the Metra lines have stops that are still within the city.

I also wanted to note that if your girlfriend doesn't have a US passport you will need to make sure she has her own legal way of coming here or you will need to put a ring on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago