Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 32,216 times

Advertisements

Calling all car owners.

I will be relocating to Chicago in 08 from the UK and will be buying a car when I get organised but wondered what the typical costs are for running a VW Jetta sized car in the city i.e purchase price, taxes, maintainence costs, fuel, insurance, stickers, parking, licence etc etc..?

Any help would be very much appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM

49 posts, read 276,341 times
I'm not sure about purchase price, but I can tell you about other stuff. Gas prices for one are horrible, worst in the country is what I hear. I heard on the radio that a gas station with one of the lowest rates was at $3.05/gallon!!!! LOWEST! Imagine that! Anyway, license plate stickers are I think $78, city stickers around the same, each once a year. Oil changes are probably around $30 I'd say on average. Insurance just completely depends on many things, but I will say that my car insurance here is quite a bit more than the two other towns I've lived in. Parking depends on where you live. If you live downtown, you will pay an arm and a leg. A friend of mine pays $350 a month for one space to give you an idea. The further out you go, the less it is, generally speaking, and many areas have free street parking. (NOT downtown though). Hope that helps a little.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:45 PM

44 posts, read 239,432 times
Base price of a VW Jetta: $20,000
Gas Per Gallon in the City (highest in mainland): $3.50
Insurance for six months: $1,000
License sticker: $78
city sticker: $70
Parking/month on average: $250
Maintanence/year: $500
Tickets (parking/speeding etc): $0-unlimited amount

Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM

145 posts, read 643,802 times
Other than on LSD near Edgewater, has anyone actually been stopped for speeding in/near downtown Chicago?

<Rant>I know out in the 'burbs its nuts. You go 10 mph over the limit and you just made some copper's day out in the 'burbs. Hell, I think they practically plan their whole day around when to set speed traps. But it seems that downtown cops actually have a job that keeps them busy and away from petty crap like 10 mph speed traps<rant over>

Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I doubt someone from the UK is going to fret much about $3 to $3.50/gal in gas (petrol, if you will). That's about half what he's paying now.

A brand new base-model Jetta can be had for about £12,000, including tax and registration fee. Yearly registration for state license plates is about £40, yearly sticker for city of Chicago residents an additional £40 (approximately). Off-street parking will run anywhere from £125/mo to about £40/mo; the further you are from the city center, the lower it will be. Additionally, the further you are from the city center, the less likely you will need off-street parking, as the ease and availability of free on-street parking also increases the further you are from the city center. Residential areas near busy nightlife or business districts, or near train stations, may require permit parking for on-street parking. In that event, a resident parking permit will be about £14 per year. Again, the further you are from the city center, the less like you will be to encounter this.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
Quote:

Other than on LSD near Edgewater, has anyone actually been stopped for speeding in/near downtown Chicago?
I've never been stopped, but I've seen cars pulled over everywhere on LSD.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibear View Post

<Rant>I know out in the 'burbs its nuts. You go 10 mph over the limit and you just made some copper's day out in the 'burbs. Hell, I think they practically plan their whole day around when to set speed traps. But it seems that downtown cops actually have a job that keeps them busy and away from petty crap like 10 mph speed traps<rant over>
if you have an out of state license you will ABSOLUTELY get stopped in the burbs whether you're driving well or not.

trust me, it happened to me. we were doing 35, or whatever it was, on the DOT but after running our tags, just because it was an out of state license, the tags didn't match because it was my friends' dad's car and she hadn't had the chance to put them in her name. so this jerk in Plainfield searched our car TWICE, and after not being able to find anything he let us off with a warning.

this is why i like to stay in the city as much as possible. what with that and the almost getting trapped in Lemont on a saturday night.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieschweiz View Post
Insurance for six months: $1,000
Where did you get that from? Average insurance in Illinois is around 800$ per year.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Where did you get that from? Average insurance in Illinois is around 800$ per year.
One might imagine that insurance rates are a little higher than the state average in Chicago...

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
The infamous Illinois Nazis played catch and release with me (Michigan plate) in Savoy just as I was moving into my new apartment in Urbana. I can understand the issues with the SW suburbs; Orland Park is a PITA too. Outside of North Shore, Woodfield, and sometimes Naperville, I'm usually on the expressways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago