Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,877 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting Chicago this August for a weekend getaway.

We want to be downtown - in an embarrassingly expensive room on the top floor of some mega building. We want to eat at the two best restaurants in the city. We want a Chicago style hotdog too.

Nothing else is important. Money is not an issue. This is our first time away from our little ones in a couple of years and we'd like to make it count.

What say you?

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
The best hotels are definitely the Ritz, the Four Seasons, the Peninsula, and the Park Hyatt. Another great hotel that I've always liked is the Burnham.

The "it" restaurants right now are Alinea and Moto. Both are very modern and experimental, really good and really expensive. The traditional high end restaurants include Charlie Trotter's, Tru, Ambria, Everest, Les Nomades, and Spiaggia. Everest is on the 40th floor or so and has awesome views. Some other great places are Spring, Avenues, and Blackbird. I'm a huge fan of Blackbird, it isn't as much of a destination place as the others I listed, but the food is in the same league. There are so many great places to eat in Chicago it is hard to know where to even begin - these sites are a good starting point for researching:

LTH Forums
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=14
And Metromix
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ (broken link)

Enjoy your trip!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Attrill brings up some wonderful hotels, Id also recommend the Palmer House. Perhaps not as nice as the ones mentioned above, but still unique. There is also the Hotel Monaco which is different. Cant forget about The Drake Hotel either.

Want a restaurant high up? Cant beat the Signature Room in the John Hancock Center, high up on the 90th floor I believe? Whatever floor its on, Ive heard its magnificent.

As for Chicagos-style dogs, hit up Wrigley Field for an afternoon. Nothing better than eating a Chicago-stlye dog at the 2nd oldest ballpark in the nation, all the while soaking up rays and watching the Cubs lose another one. LOL Go Cubs!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,094 times
We were in Chicago last week end and had hot dogs at Jimmys on Grand and Pulaski. Wow, just how a hot dog or in my case, a polish should be. And like the sign says, don't even think about asking for catsup!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:05 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
Glad to hear Jimmy's is still around, I remember hitting that place on the way home from Blackhawks games growing up. Greasy as hell fries, great stuff. It's a bit of a trek from downtown though.

There's a decent traditional chicago hot dog stand called downtown dogs that is on Rush street just north of chicago avenue near all those primo hotels.

I shamefully admit as a Sox fan that wrigley field is a great place to watch baseball, but the food and hot dogs at wrigley stink--don't let that be your chicago hot dog experience.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM

537 posts, read 1,940,094 times
I agree Wrigley is not the place to get a hot dog. A true Chicago hot dog has to have snap to it and I know it doesn't have it at the ball park.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
I agree Wrigley is not the place to get a hot dog. A true Chicago hot dog has to have snap to it and I know it doesn't have it at the ball park.
Well, I guess Im one of the weird ones who enjoys them. LOL I LOVE the Vienna Beef dogs at Wrigley.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
Steve-O--they never used to have vienna dogs, They were using armour dogs or something like that last year when I went to the game. Can you get vienna beef now over there?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Blackbird is excellent, however Tru, etc. are sadly out of my league, but if you would like to eat at any of those places, get your reservation now. I was actually not all that impressed by the Signature Room, but the views cannot be beat, I take anyone from out of town that I know up there for an overpriced drink (but then we eat somewhere else).

As far as hotels are concerned, I've heard nothing but raves about the Peninsula.

Steve-o, you are on your own with Wrigley dogs, I try to like them every year when they make me go to a Cubs game for work, but just don't (yet inexplicably keep eating them). They aren't bad, but they certainly are not great and as of two years ago when I last graced Wrigley, they were not Vienna.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 PM

97 posts, read 326,768 times
how was the trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: