Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I live in St. Louis (4-5 hr. drive to Chicago) and I took the entire next week off. Most of it will be spent flying back home for turkey with the family, but I have this coming weekend and Monday off to do whatever I want before I fly home. I am thinking about heading up to Chicago for a few days and do some sightseeing. I haven't been in 3 years and really want to visit again. I'm thinking of just staying at a hotel for a few nights and want to see the museums and other attractions. Any recommendations for a decent hotel stay and attractions to check out? I love art museums. I remember reading about some kind of holography museum there that sounded intriguing to me. Anyone know anything about that? Good places to eat out by yourself at? I don't want to look foolish eating out by myself. I couldn't find a friend to go with so I am thinking of just going solo and enjoying myself. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Ok here is the standard tourist advice, you are going to have to adapt it a bit(perhaps).

Most touristy things to do are in downtown Chicago, but hotels downtown usualy charge for parking. In fact the cheapest parking is $20 a day and it is usually full. More typical is 30-50 a day. My suggestion is either take the train or the bus in rather than drive. If you drive you are going to need a hotel with a lot that does not charge for parking and you will probably commute into downtown to save on parking.

The CTA has unlimited 1, 3, and 7 day passes for $5.75,$14.00 and $28.00. This is much cheaper and easier than parking downtown. If you choose an hotel get one downtown, the price is worth it. You will basically be able to step out and get to your desination without having to commute or find parking. Lots of good places to eat. We need your budget(for food) and what types you like. I am not as familar with the downtown resturants but one of my favorites is giordanos pizza.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Let's just say budget is not an issue. I make good money where I work and I am single. Just looking to enjoy the weekend. So tell me how.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Chicago Travel Guide | Frommer's Travel Guides

Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Let's just say budget is not an issue. I make good money where I work and I am single. Just looking to enjoy the weekend. So tell me how.
Go to a strip club? Go to some bars? Have some good surf and turf? What else is there?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Offbeat Art museums

Holography:
Museum of Holography - West Loop - Chicago, IL

Ukrainian Museum of Modern Art:
UIMA » Home

National Museum of Mexican Art:
National Museum of Mexican Art

University of Chicago's Art Museum
Smart Museum of Art | University of Chicago

The Dusable Museum
DuSable Museum of African American History

Have fun!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM

That holography museum sounds real fun. What areas in Chicago should I avoid completely? I know what to avoid here in St. Louis at least.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
In general you wont have much trouble heading to an attraction and the ones listed so far are not in extremely bad places. You could have trouble if you wandered around a bad neighborhood but that is unlikely.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Priceline and Hotwire are your best friend on weekends in Chicago. Usually, you can get a great hotel in the Michigan Ave area for well under $100 and often as low as $60.

As you are flying, you probably will not need a vehicle. In fact, a car is more of a liability in many neighborhoods due to limited parking. Also, you have meters everywhere.

As for weird museums, there is The International Museum of Surgical Science.
https://www.imss.org/

Old 11-19-2010, 04:45 PM

OK here's the plan:

Tomorrow:
Drive there (probably get there around noon).
Go to the Museum of Science and Industry until it closes (5:30 PM)
Check into the hotel.
(Where to eat? What touristy things to do? I don't want to go to bars.)

Sunday:
Go to Art Institute all day (I spent several hours in there last time and was booted out because it closed.)
Giordano's for dinner
Check out the Skydeck at Willis Tower (open until 8 PM)

Monday:
Check out of the hotel.
Check out history museum (may be in there most of the day, or until I need to head back.)
~2-3 PM, need to head home

What would be a good touristy thing to check out on Saturday night? What about a good place to eat? I don't want to just go to some bar. I can do that here. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago