Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

ugh, I don't give a flying f what race or ethnicity the future mayor will be! just want him or her to be competent! is that so much to ask?

as a black female, I'm not going to vote for CMB just b/c she's a black female. I don't know much about her, but the little I've heard doesn't suggest competency to run a city of Chicago's size w/ all its issues. IDK, I'd have to do more research on her. I'd like to hope other blacks would do the same and would look at her history and stance on issues instead of her skin color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
...I can do without...von Braun.
NASA could not though.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times
I think the city as a whole could benefit from having a mayor that makes the safety and policing of ALL chicago residential areas a top priority. Not just the yuppie neighborhoods and downtown. Putting an end to open air drug markets that are destroying the vibrancy and chasing out the middle class residents of many chicago residential areas would be a great start. Drugs shouldn't be sold right in front of peoples homes. And drug dealers should not be allowed to loiter on residential streets. This has been overlooked by law enforcement long enough and I hope the new mayor puts an end to the police not taking this huge problem serious.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Now that Davis is out,it is: Rahm,Carol,De Valle, and Chico. Look for Chico or De Valle to drop out in the next week or two. If blacks come out in force, it will be Mayor Carol.
Not necessarily. Especially if you listen to talk among the younger black voters, say around 50 and under. Not too infatuated with Carol AT ALL, lol. Now, I'm sure she can count on the older churchified black vote on the word of Meeks alone but that won't be enough. And as Irishtom mentioned, there are plenty of other races in the city that can vote against her (if we're looking at this from a purely racial aspect).

Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Not necessarily. Especially if you listen to talk among the younger black voters,
A vast majority of registered voters that actually vote are not young.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

This is becoming a farce:

"Consensus black mayoral candidate Carol Moseley Braun said Monday she will not release her income tax returns until after the election...“I don’t want to,” she said.Rahm Emanuel, Gery Chico and Miguel del Valle have already released their tax returns to give Chicago voters a greater understanding of how they made their money."

Braun refuses to release income tax returns before election - Chicago Sun-Times

Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
What really bothers me about this whole race thing is that Braun is coming off as if people should vote for her just because she's black and running for mayor.

It should be that people might want to vote for her because she'd be a good competent mayor who happens to be black.

It's a little offensive that everyone is freaking out to get a black person in as mayor - and who gives a crap what their qualifications are or what they want to do. Just as long as they're black.... How do they think white, asian and hispanics are going to take that position?? Makes me feel like I won't matter in the "new Chicago" if a black gets elected. Or that I'll somehow be the enemy.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This is becoming a farce:

"Consensus black mayoral candidate Carol Moseley Braun said Monday she will not release her income tax returns until after the election...“I don’t want to,” she said.Rahm Emanuel, Gery Chico and Miguel del Valle have already released their tax returns to give Chicago voters a greater understanding of how they made their money."

Braun refuses to release income tax returns before election - Chicago Sun-Times
it doesn't even sound like the woman can manage her own personal finances! is this REALLY the best these "black community leaders" can produce? it's almost embarrassing that this is the person that blacks are suppose to rally behind to get elected as mayor

Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it doesn't even sound like the woman can manage her own personal finances!
It seems to me she has something to hide. What it is, I do not know.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it doesn't even sound like the woman can manage her own personal finances!
It sure does not appear that she can:

"For 2008, she paid $2,509 in self-employment tax even though she reported the income loss of $225,908."

"The house has four mortgages, none of which have been paid off, Cook County property records indicate. Braun obtained two of those loans, which total $1.53 million, from Washington Mutual bank on Dec. 1, 2006."

"Joseph Stroud, a millionaire TV station owner from Oak Brook, loaned Braun $250,000 for her food business in August 2006 and secured it with a mortgage on her house in September 2007, records show. "

Braun paid $785 in taxes on $15,561 in income in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago