Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM

955 posts, read 1,839,278 times

Advertisements

Jane disappeared from city hall, because she was anti-charismatic and she squabbled too much with the south side regulars. Had the south side regs, not revolted against her, she would have won a second-term. She governed like a grumpy, bitter old school teacher that was at war with her students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,358,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
*Black folks needed to break away from the Democratic machine in Cook County
A lot of good that did. Blacks are now a bigger part of the machine than ever.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
A lot of good that did. Blacks are now a bigger part of the machine than ever.
I would ask "What machine?" but I know what I'd get would not be the answer. Suffice it to say that 'machine' politics in 2010 are far different than what they were in 1982.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,913,774 times
Quote:
I would ask "What machine?" but I know what I'd get would not be the answer. Suffice it to say that 'machine' politics in 2010 are far different than what they were in 1982.
yes and no. that homeless guy who got busted getting a few thousand signatures? classic machine bs.

as long as there are loads of relatively unskilled municipal and county jobs with turnover (and no hiring freeze) a machine to dispense those jobs to those who further the politicians in power will surface.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
yes and no. that homeless guy who got busted getting a few thousand signatures? classic machine bs.

as long as there are loads of relatively unskilled municipal and county jobs with turnover (and no hiring freeze) a machine to dispense those jobs to those who further the politicians in power will surface.
After Shakman and a culture change, city administration control of jobs (or political party control of jobs) is nothing like it was in the seventies. If you had no 'sponsor' for a job in the 70's you were SOL.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,358,262 times
Quote:
Suffice it to say that 'machine' politics in 2010 are far different than what they were in 1982.
Yeah they are. They involve all kinds of blacks and hispanics that never used to be involved. Blacks have much more clout than years ago and come out to vote for the machine more so now than ever. How do you think Stroger and Pat Quinn got elected?

Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,913,774 times
Quote:
After Shakman and a culture change, city administration control of jobs (or political party control of jobs) is nothing like it was in the seventies. If you had no 'sponsor' for a job in the 70's you were SOL.
I can't speak for the 70s being a ripe old 39 years of age, but I can tell you that Sorich took the heat for Hizzoner for a reason - there most definitely is a clout list, and you most definitely move up the list (be that getting an entry-level job or getting a better job/moving up the ladder) by putting in your time on elections.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM

955 posts, read 1,839,278 times
Quote:
If you had no 'sponsor' for a job in the 70's you were SOL.
Ahhh yes, the official "letter of recommendation" that your alderman bestowed on the fortunate. I grew up amongst many city workers and even saw a couple of these divine parchments. They usually led you to a low paying position where you would be stuck for many years with little chance of advancement unless you had a pure bloodline. Most of the guys I knew washed out of these jobs and went on to private sector work. Most of those who stayed, just used these positions as a stepping stone 'til they took the police, fire, or other exams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago