Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,357,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
I worked for a small technology start-up company for 2 years which did work in e-Commerce websites. I'm not going to post my resume on city data if that's what ur asking.
If people don't know what your experience is, how do you expect them to help you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Expecting to get hired simply because you have a degree is actually too much to ask, but it's probably better to look for jobs that actually require a degree if you want to get hired than look at minimum wage positions for which you would be considered overqualified.
Thank you.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,038,341 times
If you're in the technology field you should be on Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals, not Monster.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,582,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Don't listen to these haters. You are not overqualified by having a bachelors degree. The job market is tough in Chicago, but with your degree should give you an advantage over most people who are looking for a job. Young one is just asking for a job that pays 1000 dollars a month at least, not 5000.

Some advice though whenever you are filling out an application or if it is on your resume, I would delete you are a grad school student or a working on a master degree. Once you get your foot in the door and if the person interviewing you brings it up with a question like where do you see yourself in 5 years, what are you doing, go ahead and bring it up if it is relevant an pertinent. Also try to expand your search, in other words just dont look for jobs in the loop or Evanston, but try looking for jobs in the south or west side of Chicago, northern or southern suburbs. Don't limit yourself to areas within Northwestern University.

It is tough but don't let these people in these boards discourage you.
Hrrm... in my experience I would say that 5000 job might be easier to come by than the 1000 dollar one for somebody with a bachelors degree and a few years experience like the OP. Maybe not 5000, but certainly a 3000-4000k would be easier to land than the 1000 one... A lot of people running these types of businesses do not have degrees themselves, and might want to hire somebody more like themselves, vs somebody that (if they stay) might get move up ahead of them or replace them. Now if you know somebody then yeah you can probably get those type of part time jobs, but just breaking in might be more difficult otherwise. Anyway just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Do not believe everything hear and only half of what you see. The same thing applies to high school drop outs or anybody. Anyone who has a family, aspiration, or basically choices would move onto something better rather than be compensated minimum wage for the rest of there lives. Employers are human too, that is why they interview. Having a bachelors degree will get your foot in the door, just do not sell yourself too high or too low. Stay in the middle.
He has a degree plus professional experience at a startup, you think a retailer wants to hire them when they can hire a 16 y/o kid? or somebody that is 28 with no degree and looking to manage a restaurant? Not happening. Also its hard to fake experience, you either have a huge gap, or they call your former employer and verify your last wage. How do you get a min wage job when you've made close to 50grand for the last 7-8 years? Trust me, they don't want you.

I get absolutely NO responses from min wage or low wage type employers, nada. At least with temp or full time professional employers I have got responses and interviews. Never EVER for a min wage type place. You'd probably have to fake your resume to get a reply honestly or leave off your degree and any work exp.

I'm in a similar position as OP so just speaking from experience.

Now another question OP, were you working IN IT there? B/c that route you could look for pt projects and consultant stuff. Or were you just a worker there in another dept?

Also min wage in Chicago is 8.25 .

Since you are taking night classes that pretty much rules out any restaurant/waiting table jobs. Having a few days you can't work (one of them being thursday) would almost be an immediate disqualifier.

If you are only taking 2 classes, then you could probably pull a full time job and pull the coursework of grad school, but have no life whatsoever and maybe pull B's in your classes.

Personally I would look for higher mid range paying jobs in the 15+hour range that you can use your skills @ around 20-25 hours a week. Look into some temp agencies also.

Last edited by grapico; 12-30-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Always something to keep in your mind here:

Employment outlook: Job prospects remain grim for 2011 - chicagotribune.com

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,706,420 times
I can attest to the fact that entry-level employers don't want over-qualified candidates. My SO applied for many many bank teller and similar jobs and couldn't even get an interview. They saw he had a physics degree and moved right along.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,582,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This is scary:

Earlier this year, about 76 percent of the jobs added by the private sector paid less than $15 per hour.

Which means if you actually were on a career track or some skills you are screwed.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,203,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
I worked for a small technology start-up company for 2 years which did work in e-Commerce websites. I'm not going to post my resume on city data if that's what ur asking.
I wasn't asking for a resume, and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to help us help you without revealing detailed info about your work history on the internet. Telling us what the company you worked for did isn't what I was asking for, either. After all, if you were an accountant but didn't mention that was your role and only said you worked for a big-time farmer, how would I know to tell you about accounting positions instead of cow-milking positions?

I've asked reasonable questions but I'm giving up. Good luck, but I'm not going to beg you to let me help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: