Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
You are correct, but I was referring to how Mayfair, North Mayfair and Ravenswood Manor are part of the Albany Park community area.
Yes they are, but The University of Chicago community's areas are not the bible. They are good for certain purposes, but by no means do they supersede the neighborhood names in my book and many other people's. They were basically only made to make Census numbers dissemination easier for themselves. In fact, they make many numbers like crime numbers harder to decipher since many neighborhoods are in more than one community area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Yes they are, but The University of Chicago community's areas are not the bible. They are good for certain purposes, but by no means do they supersede the neighborhood names in my book and many other people's. They were basically only made to make Census numbers dissemination easier for themselves. In fact, they make many numbers like crime numbers harder to decipher since many neighborhoods are in more than one community area.
I know what you're saying, and your point is exactly why I felt the need to clarify. I feel like a good portion of North Mayfair and the entire neighborhood of Ravenswood Manor are vastly different than Albany Park. I suppose I'm all for 'community' areas' to falling by the wayside. I usually speak in terms of neighborhoods anyways.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I suppose I'm all for 'community' areas' to falling by the wayside.
I think if they were redrawn to be more accurate, they might be worth keeping for some purposes.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Been watching for several pages, and I still think the premise is off base...

In another thread there was some jet setter couple with kids that are executives in the burbs. They are of Hispanic ethic origins and were asking "where to move to findnothers like us". My response was either "anywhere if younwant to be aroundnother rich people" or "don't move from the utopia you have in Chicago where all these wonderful folksnof mixed incomes are getting along swimmingly on your block because that is pretty rare"...

Similarly if the OP is looking for some enclave where there are physicians, attorneys, executives who work in the Loop or Gold Coast during the day and then come home to a neighborhood where La Raza outsells The Wall Street Journal, where Univison is on more often CNN and salsa music blasts out on the sidewalks they are not going to find it Chicago. Heck I really don't think you will findnthat extreme a situation in LA or Miami -- the well off tend to have different value from those that are so "unassimilated" that they constitute a subculture.

Now, as I have also said, I know families from Latin America where Spanish or Portugese is spoken at home and their income is sky high, but this is not because their fluency in English is anything less than perfect so much as it is a way to enhance the multi-lingulism of their kids. These homes might be in Bensenville or Highland Park or even affluent neighborhoods of Chicago such as Hyde Park or Lincoln Park. Finding any "cluster" of affluent and "separatist" familes is all but impossible...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In another thread there was some jet setter couple with kids that are executives in the burbs. They are of Hispanic ethic origins and were asking "where to move to findnothers like us". My response was either "anywhere if younwant to be aroundnother rich people" or "don't move from the utopia you have in Chicago where all these wonderful folksnof mixed incomes are getting along swimmingly on your block because that is pretty rare"...

Similarly if the OP is looking for some enclave where there are physicians, attorneys, executives who work in the Loop or Gold Coast during the day and then come home to a neighborhood where La Raza outsells The Wall Street Journal, where Univison is on more often CNN and salsa music blasts out on the sidewalks they are not going to find it Chicago. Heck I really don't think you will findnthat extreme a situation in LA or Miami -- the well off tend to have different value from those that are so "unassimilated" that they constitute a subculture.

Now, as I have also said, I know families from Latin America where Spanish or Portugese is spoken at home and their income is sky high, but this is not because their fluency in English is anything less than perfect so much as it is a way to enhance the multi-lingulism of their kids. These homes might be in Bensenville or Highland Park or even affluent neighborhoods of Chicago such as Hyde Park or Lincoln Park. Finding any "cluster" of affluent and "separatist" familes is all but impossible...
I would say that the majority of hispanics in this country are bilingual. The ones I know speak both english and spanish, depending on who they are talking to. And I am talking about educated, well spoken hispanics. Chicago is not miami or san antonio. There aren't super affluent areas with large populations of affluent hispanics like in those two metro areas. But, there are mixed income areas where you will find affluent hispanics living among other hispanics. I would consider a middle class hispanic person living in logan square to be much less of a seperatist than an middle class white person who lives in a overwhelmingly white lakeview and lincoln park, or a black person who lives in jackson park highlands. I find that largely hispanic neighborhoods tend to be the most racially diverse areas among all areas with a much larger racial makeup of one race. Neighborhoods made up of largely whites or blacks tend to be the most segregated racially, or transitioning to becoming segregated with only a few exceptions.

Last edited by allen2323; 01-14-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I would say that the majority of hispanics in this country are bilingual. The ones I know speak both english and spanish, depending on who they are talking to. And I am talking about educated, well spoken hispanics. Chicago is not miami or san antonio. There aren't super affluent areas with large populations of affluent hispanics like in those two metro areas. But, there are mixed income areas where you will find affluent hispanics living among other hispanics. I would consider a middle class hispanic person living in logan square to be much less of a seperatist than an middle class white person who lives in a overwhelmingly white lakeview and lincoln park, or a black person who lives in jackson park highlands. I find that largely hispanic neighborhoods tend to be the most racially diverse areas among all areas with a much larger racial makeup of one race. Neighborhoods made up of largely whites or blacks tend to be the most segregated racially, or transitioning to becoming segregated with only a few exceptions.
The most diverse communities within Chicago tend to have whites as the largest group. Uptown, Hyde Park, Rogers Park, and Edgewater all have whites as being biggest group. Albany Park is an exception

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 01-14-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The most diverse areas within Chicago have whites as the largest group. Uptown, Hyde Park, and Edgewater to name a few all have whites as being biggest group. Albany Park is an exception

The far northside, hyde park, and beverly would be those few exceptions that I mentioned. And hyde park is very racially diverse. But, hyde park is not majority white.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The far northside, hyde park, and beverly would be those few exceptions that I mentioned. And hyde park is very racially diverse. But, hyde park is not majority white.
Hyde Park is 48% white(according to 2009 estimates). Not quite a majority, but they do make up the largest group there. And the far Northside, Hyde Park and a few others(Albany Park and South Loop/near South maybe) are the only true diverse areas within Chicago. Most of the these communities have white people as the largest group. That is what I'm saying. And by diverse, at least 3 racial or ethnic groups make up a sizeable proportion of the community. Beverly for the most part is white(Irish American) and African-American, so I don't really consider it all that diverse.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 01-14-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago