Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 9,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rather than question anonymous internet posters trying to decipher your cryptic anonymous internet postings, do this.

Come to Chicago for a long weekend, check out each neighborhood you have found in your Wikipedia searches. Go to cafes! Bars! Talk to people! Move to where you think might fit you best. If you end up not liking the area you chose, sublet and move!
Thanks.

Any other input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon43214321 View Post
Pretend I have fallen into extreme wealth and have no commute time at all.
Then we can pretend you can afford to hire someone to do your research then.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
Why are people making such a big deal about where this kid is working, or how he is going to pay for the apartment he plans on renting? He said money isn't really going to be a problem, neither is commute time. That's all we really should need to know. He seems like a young kid relatively nervous about moving to a big city, and ostensibly this forum is for advising new people about moving to Chicago. Not everyone subscribes to the current "Facebook" mentality where every little detail about your life needs to be posted online for the world to see. Ok, I'm done with my rant.

The advice you got from Chirack & few others about neighborhoods is good. Basically if you're in an apartment in the area bordered by North Avenue on the south, Irving Park on the north, Ashland on the west, and the lake on the east, you should be pretty happy. Those are the aformentioned Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wrigleyville neighborhoods for the most part. Lots of 20-somethings, and nightlife especially further east.

As also aforementioned, Bucktown/Wicker Park, centered around the intersection of Damen, North & Milwaukee Aves. might be somewhere you'd like, too. A bit more of a hipsterish vibe then Lincoln Park/Lakeview, but not all that different.

Another area you might like is Andersonville, which is centered around the intersection of Clark & Foster. It is somewhat of a gay neighborhood, but there are plenty of straight bars, cafes, shops and restaurants to hold your interest.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your move to Chicago.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Why are people making such a big deal about where this kid is working, or how he is going to pay for the apartment he plans on renting? He said money isn't really going to be a problem, neither is commute time. That's all we really should need to know. He seems like a young kid relatively nervous about moving to a big city, and ostensibly this forum is for advising new people about moving to Chicago. Not everyone subscribes to the current "Facebook" mentality where every little detail about your life needs to be posted online for the world to see. Ok, I'm done with my rant.
Thank you.

Quote:
The advice you got from Chirack & few others about neighborhoods is good. Basically if you're in an apartment in the area bordered by North Avenue on the south, Irving Park on the north, Ashland on the west, and the lake on the east, you should be pretty happy. Those are the aformentioned Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wrigleyville neighborhoods for the most part. Lots of 20-somethings, and nightlife especially further east.

As also aforementioned, Bucktown/Wicker Park, centered around the intersection of Damen, North & Milwaukee Aves. might be somewhere you'd like, too. A bit more of a hipsterish vibe then Lincoln Park/Lakeview, but not all that different.

Another area you might like is Andersonville, which is centered around the intersection of Clark & Foster. It is somewhat of a gay neighborhood, but there are plenty of straight bars, cafes, shops and restaurants to hold your interest.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your move to Chicago.
Yes, thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid
Quote:

"Rather than question anonymous internet posters trying to decipher your cryptic anonymous internet postings, do this.

Come to Chicago for a long weekend, check out each neighborhood you have found in your wikipedia searches. Go to cafes! Bars! Talk to people! Move to where you think might fit you best. If you end up not liking the area you chose, sublet and move!
"

Obviously I can just investigate myself (which I will), but that doesn't mean I might not miss something. Seems to me like it's worth asking questions for this reason. You would think this would be encouraged in this sort of atmosphere. Just saying.

Quote:
Then we can pretend you can afford to hire someone to do your research then.
Pretend whatever you like, nothing is requiring you to respond.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Really? He could have said in his first post that he works from home, instead he acted like he was in the witness protection program and wanted answers, answers, answers with no information other than his age. Trying to be helpful with a teaspoon of information and multiple questions is hardly "Facebook" mentality. When you relocate to a city, factors such as where you plan on working and how much you make are a big deal in terms of helping someone find a good location. If all we really need to know is that "money isn't going to be a problem" - like I said before, tell that person good luck with getting an apartment if they don't have proof of secure income. Not only that, but what may not be an issue money-wise wherever he currently is could very well be an issue in the city. It's a lot cheaper to live in Boise, Idaho than it is to live in Chicago. How else do you expect us to answer questions about relocating or advising which neighborhood to live in if we don't have any clue about this persons budget or means of transport. We can't help you if we know nothing.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
At this point, you've probably gotten all the information that we can give you without knowing more about you and what you like. You really need to walk around the neighborhoods and see for yourself which feels like "home". As a previous poster mentioned, all of these neighborhoods are a mix, so yes, there is a stereotype about the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean that you won't also find very different people there. We're also talking about a relatively small area of the city anyway.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
ugh, this thread is annoying! I don't get posters like these

OP, you NEED to come down here yourself and do your OWN investigations. for the basic purpose of meeting chicks, all 3 neighborhoods meet it. you need to come down here yourself and formulate a more personal list of pros and cons for each area, not some odd C&P job from Wiki, esp. since the majority of it is either wrong or very short-sighted (I live in West Lakeview and I can assure you, CTA access does exist, contrary to what your little list stated). each area has it's own personality and it's IMPOSSIBLE for us to pick which one is best for you since no one here knows you from Adam.

really, it's not that expensive to take a quick little trip down to Chicago, esp. from someone who allegedly works from home and for whom, money is no object. shoot, I did it when I moved here and trust me, money is an object for me! come down here and spend a couple of days in each area. hang out at various bars, clubs, and restaurants. window shop at various stores. walk down the streets and get a more personal sense of the vibe in each area. that' really the only way you're going to find a place that best suits you. once you've come up w/ a personal list of pros and cons of each area, THEN come back here and the knowledgeable folks here and better scrutinize them.

until then, this thread is kind of a waste of time with you being so dang secretive and not giving anyone here little to go on. we can't pick a neighborhood for you to live in this way and frankly, I would never move to an area based solely on the opinions of anonymous forum posters and a few short sentences from some random site

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Really? He could have said in his first post that he works from home, instead he acted like he was in the witness protection program and wanted answers, answers, answers with no information other than his age. Trying to be helpful with a teaspoon of information and multiple questions is hardly "Facebook" mentality. When you relocate to a city, factors such as where you plan on working and how much you make are a big deal in terms of helping someone find a good location. If all we really need to know is that "money isn't going to be a problem" - like I said before, tell that person good luck with getting an apartment if they don't have proof of secure income. Not only that, but what may not be an issue money-wise wherever he currently is could very well be an issue in the city. It's a lot cheaper to live in Boise, Idaho than it is to live in Chicago. How else do you expect us to answer questions about relocating or advising which neighborhood to live in if we don't have any clue about this persons budget or means of transport. We can't help you if we know nothing.
Clearly you are trying to be helpful and there is just some misunderstanding here. Thank you, and let's just leave it be.

Quote:
At this point, you've probably gotten all the information that we can give you without knowing more about you and what you like. You really need to walk around the neighborhoods and see for yourself which feels like "home". As a previous poster mentioned, all of these neighborhoods are a mix, so yes, there is a stereotype about the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean that you won't also find very different people there. We're also talking about a relatively small area of the city anyway.
Thank you.

Quote:
I don't get posters like these
Quote:
until then, this thread is kind of a waste of time with you being so dang secretive and not giving anyone here little to go on. we can't pick a neighborhood for you to live in this way and frankly, I would never move to an area based solely on the opinions of anonymous forum posters and a few short sentences from some random site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon43214321
Obviously I can just investigate myself (which I will), but that doesn't mean I might not miss something. Seems to me like it's worth asking questions for this reason.
Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon43214321 View Post

Obviously I can just investigate myself (which I will), but that doesn't mean I might not miss something. Seems to me like it's worth asking questions for this reason. You would think this would be encouraged in this sort of atmosphere. Just saying.
Questions are usually encouraged, but usually CD members asking for advice on various aspects of Chicago don't come across as so pretentious.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Questions are usually encouraged, but usually CD members asking for advice on various aspects of Chicago don't come across as so pretentious.
This was a response to the specific poster. I've done nothing but ask questions (even if a bit "confusingly"), thank those who have helped, explain myself, and defend myself from responses that I interpreted as unnecessarily negative (call that "pretentious" if you want). Let's drop it.

To any future posters: please don't bother responding unless you have something constructive (not negative) to contribute.
Thanks to those who have helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago