Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,056,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon43214321 View Post
This was a response to the specific poster. I've done nothing but ask questions (even if a bit "confusingly"), thank those who have helped, explain myself, and defend myself from responses that I interpreted as unnecessarily negative (call that "pretentious" if you want). Let's drop it.

To any future posters: please don't bother responding unless you have something constructive (not negative) to contribute.
Thanks to those who have helped.
Everyone has offered something constructive for you despite your beating around the bush. Chances are when 15 people think 1 person is a bit off of his rocker, that person is a bit off of his rocker. It's not our fault you wanted a ton of information while providing very little information about yourself. We've all devoted more than enough time to this thread and all of the senseless posting that's been going on. Nobody is picking on you, nobody is being mean. You wanted answers, you have them. You are the one who made things confusing and the reason people got very short with you. Snoop around the forum, nobody else has had issues like this having their questions answered. Generally, people from Chicago are very to the point without much patience for wasting time. Welcome to your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,443 times
Quote:
Everyone has offered something constructive for you despite your beating around the bush. Chances are when 15 people think 1 person is a bit off of his rocker, that person is a bit off of his rocker. It's not our fault you wanted a ton of information while providing very little information about yourself. We've all devoted more than enough time to this thread and all of the senseless posting that's been going on. Nobody is picking on you, nobody is being mean. You wanted answers, you have them. You are the one who made things confusing and the reason people got very short with you. Snoop around the forum, nobody else has had issues like this having their questions answered. Generally, people from Chicago are very to the point without much patience for wasting time. Welcome to your new home.
Choose to think whatever you like, I will do the same.
As already stated, I appreciate what help I have recieved.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Wait, why are you a new member?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,921 times
Hmm, it seems the OP is "Not A Member" anymore, and this new poster added a number to his name. Maybe I was wrong to defend him.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Hmm, it seems the OP is "Not A Member" anymore, and this new poster added a number to his name. Maybe I was wrong to defend him.
I think he got mad, deleted his account and then decided he still wanted to continue this pointless thread so he made a new account.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,443 times
Quote:
Wait, why are you a new member?
Quote:
Quote:
I think he got mad, deleted his account and then decided he still wanted to continue this pointless thread so he made a new account.
I previously had another account that I could not remember the username/password correctly for, so I created a new one (Jon43214321). Both were deleted because I had "multiple accounts". I'm assuming I used the same email for both.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM

400 posts, read 957,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Why are people making such a big deal about where this kid is working, or how he is going to pay for the apartment he plans on renting? He said money isn't really going to be a problem, neither is commute time. That's all we really should need to know. He seems like a young kid relatively nervous about moving to a big city, and ostensibly this forum is for advising new people about moving to Chicago. Not everyone subscribes to the current "Facebook" mentality where every little detail about your life needs to be posted online for the world to see. Ok, I'm done with my rant.

The advice you got from Chirack & few others about neighborhoods is good. Basically if you're in an apartment in the area bordered by North Avenue on the south, Irving Park on the north, Ashland on the west, and the lake on the east, you should be pretty happy. Those are the aformentioned Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wrigleyville neighborhoods for the most part. Lots of 20-somethings, and nightlife especially further east.

As also aforementioned, Bucktown/Wicker Park, centered around the intersection of Damen, North & Milwaukee Aves. might be somewhere you'd like, too. A bit more of a hipsterish vibe then Lincoln Park/Lakeview, but not all that different.

Another area you might like is Andersonville, which is centered around the intersection of Clark & Foster. It is somewhat of a gay neighborhood, but there are plenty of straight bars, cafes, shops and restaurants to hold your interest.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your move to Chicago.

Lakeview and Wrigelyville neigborhoods?,
thats just dumbing things down.
If Ive already mentioned Lakeview,
Im not going to mention wrigleyville,
which is a word that makes my skin crawl.

Also I like the A bit more hispterish.
How about Wicker Park/Buck Town is an old hispter haven,
giving way more recently to Logan Square and other
hoods on the verge? like Pilsen and Bridgeport.

Andersonville, somewhat of a gay neigborhood?
yeesh what a way to describe something.
Its got gay and straight, to be sure.
Never been a fan of the subneigborhood, quasi
business district nomeclature. Very amateur.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:37 PM

400 posts, read 957,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon432143212 View Post
I previously had another account that I could not remember the username/password correctly for, so I created a new one (Jon43214321). Both were deleted because I had "multiple accounts". I'm assuming I used the same email for both.

I guess your backstory on the net and in real life is too complicated
to really get into. Hahaha. Wow.

I like the name Jonny Blastoff better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago