Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,348,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyes4u View Post
Thanks so much for answering me this fast. Do you know any decent, cheap hotels/ motels in Chicago? I'm really not looking for a sleazebag of a motel, nor do I have the money to pay for an expensive one.

I'm a little afraid of hostels at the moment, too. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced motels/hotels in the city?
Go to hotwire.com. Any hotel downtown that is 3 stars and above will not be bad. You can get one for between $60 and $100 a night easily if you plan ahead enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,189,767 times
Quote:
What specific details do you need?

I plan on using the bus or a taxi as transportation. (Do people even really use Chicago taxi??) I also plan on staying in a cheap hotel...if there are any.
I can recommend this place for a cheap stay downtown.

Lots of people use taxis. For example in the winter I usually commute to work via taxi (because I'm lazy). And tourists who aren't trying to save money use them a lot, too. And young professionals out for a night of barhopping or eating out. Not usually budget travelers, though.

For four days, not including the cost of getting to Chicago, you could probably spend anywhere from $500 at the low end to around $1,000 at the mid-range, to, well, as high as you wanted to go.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,667,509 times
You could do it for less, but I would say, with Amtrak fare, you'd probably want $1000-$1500.

Also, don't discount drinking in Chicago. That's one of my favorite things

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,241,581 times
If you're not going crazy on spending, you can easily just eat food at more cheap places, find cheap drinks, and spend a LOT of time doing free things like wandering downtown, going to Navy Pier, etc.

Can you come during the week, or weekend? You can get by on $100 a day or less if you're not going crazy (not counting hotel!). I've gone to NYC and cities in Europe and basically only spent $20-$30 on food the entire day and spent the rest of it exploring and doing outside activities.

It's only when you start going to shows, museums, etc. that expenses pile up.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,999,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Lots of people use taxis. For example in the winter I usually commute to work via taxi (because I'm lazy). And tourists who aren't trying to save money use them a lot, too. And young professionals out for a night of barhopping or eating out. Not usually budget travelers, though.

For four days, not including the cost of getting to Chicago, you could probably spend anywhere from $500 at the low end to around $1,000 at the mid-range, to, well, as high as you wanted to go.

I second emathias's recommendation of airbnb, just make sure the location is where you want to be. Also when you say downtown, what do you really mean? Our downtown is the business center which includes The Loop. If you just mean you want to be near cool stuff to do, at your age, Wicker Park/Bucktown or Lakeview might be more fun.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Stuff like that is kinda creepy.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 PM

172 posts, read 486,637 times
Quote:
I'll be coming from Columbus, Ohio & I'll most likely take Amtrak all the way to Chicago. I'm very excited, but kind of nervous at the same time. Any tips? You guys are pretty smart, so that's why I've come here instead of Yelp lol
As for the getting here part, you might want to take a look at Megabus; more than likely it will be a cheaper option than Amtrak and could leave you with a bit more money for when you're actually here.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
As for the getting here part, you might want to take a look at Megabus; more than likely it will be a cheaper option than Amtrak and could leave you with a bit more money for when you're actually here.
Right on.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,612 times
Quote:
I'll be coming from Columbus, Ohio & I'll most likely take Amtrak all the way to Chicago.
Not from Columbus, you're not. Amtrak doesn't go there.

Like the others, I recommend the bus.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Not from Columbus, you're not. Amtrak doesn't go there.
Nice catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago