Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 PM

226 posts, read 641,766 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Girlfriend and I are intending to move this spring/summer, and we'd love to stay relatively close to where I currently live in River North.

She has a large dog (65 lbs.) and two cats, so the place would definitely need to be pet-friendly. We're fine with paying pet deposits or whatnot.

We'd prefer somewhere in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, Lincoln Park, or that general area.

Looking for a 1-bedroom, and we could spend up to $1400-1500 per month. Don't need included utilities, but they would be a nice bonus.

Anyone know of any places in particular that meet these criteria? Is that price range reasonable for "upscale" living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

968 posts, read 2,669,010 times
You can probably find a condo building that's pet friendly in those areas in your price range ..West or South Loop for sure .. drawback might be the number of pets ( some buildings only allow 2 mammalian pets per unit) .. Usually up to the unit owner for pets/no pets, but most building I know have rentals that didn't prohibit them ..

Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,344,145 times
Man, you need a yard for that dog bro. That is torture on a dog to make it live without a yard.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Man, you need a yard for that dog bro. That is torture on a dog to make it live without a yard.
not really. far from it actually. dogs can do fine w/o a yard, provided that they get plenty of exercise.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,344,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
not really. far from it actually. dogs can do fine w/o a yard, provided that they get plenty of exercise.
And how will that be done in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, and Streeterville? Lincoln Park I can see, but the others, no.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
And how will that be done in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, and Streeterville? Lincoln Park I can see, but the others, no.
strap a leash on the dog and take it for a walk down the sidewalks, along the lake front, etc. it may have to be a very long walk for a truly active dog (or even a jog), but it can be done. dogs don't need to walk on grass to get exercise, they can get the same exercise walking on pavement. trust me, there are people who own large dogs in the concrete jungles of NYC and I've walked quite a few big dogs (border collies, Irish wolfhounds, more than a handful of labs and retrievers) through areas in Boston w/ even less green space than the above areas. of course, it takes more commitment than just opening the back door and tossing the dog out into a yard

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,140,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
strap a leash on the dog and take it for a walk down the sidewalks, along the lake front, etc. it may have to be a very long walk for a truly active dog (or even a jog), but it can be done. dogs don't need to walk on grass to get exercise, they can get the same exercise walking on pavement. trust me, there are people who own large dogs in the concrete jungles of NYC and I've walked quite a few big dogs (border collies, Irish wolfhounds, more than a handful of labs and retrievers) through areas in Boston w/ even less green space than the above areas. of course, it takes more commitment than just opening the back door and tossing the dog out into a yard
Agreed! We bought a Single Family Home with a nice yard specifically because we owned 2 dogs and didn't want to have to walk them 5 times a day, otherwise would have bought a condo in a much nicer neighborhood (believe me!)
Well, we're down to one dog now(lost the other to cancer) and his fat lazy butt doesn't do much in the yard except for his "business" (and a lot of barking) so now I am walking him approximately 2 miles a day in the park so he can be active and lose some weight, so really, turns out our main reason for buying a house in Humboldt Park is out the window.
Fortunately for us, there are still some other upsides to a SFH, like privacy, no shared walls, a garage, and having a studio/rehearsal space in the basement without disturbing my neighbors.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,752,821 times
I think the biggest problem is going to be the size of the dog, they usually have weight limits.

Your best bet is going to be Craigslist for a private rental, but most condo buildings are going to have bylaws that don't allow that size of dog.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM

226 posts, read 641,766 times
Appreciate the input, guys. Good point about the outdoor exercise aspect; certainly would be a lot easier while not living in a highrise or other similar building.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,669,010 times
.The West Loop, specifically along Desplaines has two newer parks that are 'dog-friendly', and many owners with larger or more active breeds use these for exercising with stick-trhown balls, etc ..the 'leash laws' aren't really enforced ... Can't speak for all buildings, but ours has no limit on size, just the number of pets in a single unit .. Lots of Dog Owners, and not just smaller breeds in this community .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: