Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 29,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,

(For starters, please excuse my ignorance. I am very unfamiliar with Chicago and the people of the city.)

I recently graduated from college and have accepted a job offer in Chicago. I will be moving to the city in the next couple of weeks. This afternoon (Sat, March 12th) I came to Chicago to view a couple apartments, and found one located on Belmont Ave near Lake Shore Dr. After researching the area a little more I found out this is likely in the heart of Boystown.

I am a straight male and was curious about what Boystown is really like, and if I would feel out of place at this location? I have tried to find out more about the area, but am having a hard time finding any solid information. I am not "homophobic" by any means. My main concern is the nightlife. Are the majority of the bars in this area gay bars or are there straight bars nearby? I want to be able to go out on weekends and when friends come to visit and not feel like "the straight guys hanging out at the gay bar" if that makes sense.

I guess an easy way to find an answer is to ask; if you are a straight male, would you live here?

If not, do you have any specific buildings or management companies you could recommend where I could find a studio for $800 - $930 a month? I will be working on Michigan Ave so I don't want to be terribly far from that.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
"Wrigleyville" is basically adjacent to "Boystown." I don't think you ever have to go more than four blocks in Lake View to find a straight bar from any part of "Boystown."

If you think you will feel uncomfortable living around a larger than normal amount of gay men, find a place west of Sheffield or look into a place north of Grace or south of Wellington.

Btw: very few people consider Belmont and L.S.D. to be part of "Boystown."

Will you be driving to work or taking the train or bus?

Last edited by tonythetuna; 03-12-2011 at 11:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Yeah boystown is only really considered between irving park and belmont on halsted and broadway between irving park and diversey. Really LSD and Belmont is not considered Boystown and no one will think you are.

Honestly, if you live on Halsted from Irving Park and Belmont that is the only thing I would be worried about that, but really worried about what? Who cares if you live in boystown, no one will care. Some of your friends might make fun, but really it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If it is then you need to re-evaluate.... Wrigleyville is plenty close to find enough chicks, you have nothing to worry about. I would live in Boystown, and I am not gay, all depends how open you are to people.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eauyea27 View Post
Hello,

(For starters, please excuse my ignorance. I am very unfamiliar with Chicago and the people of the city.)

I recently graduated from college and have accepted a job offer in Chicago. I will be moving to the city in the next couple of weeks. This afternoon (Sat, March 12th) I came to Chicago to view a couple apartments, and found one located on Belmont Ave near Lake Shore Dr. After researching the area a little more I found out this is likely in the heart of Boystown.

I am a straight male and was curious about what Boystown is really like, and if I would feel out of place at this location? I have tried to find out more about the area, but am having a hard time finding any solid information. I am not "homophobic" by any means. My main concern is the nightlife. Are the majority of the bars in this area gay bars or are there straight bars nearby? I want to be able to go out on weekends and when friends come to visit and not feel like "the straight guys hanging out at the gay bar" if that makes sense.

I guess an easy way to find an answer is to ask; if you are a straight male, would you live here?

If not, do you have any specific buildings or management companies you could recommend where I could find a studio for $800 - $930 a month? I will be working on Michigan Ave so I don't want to be terribly far from that.

Thank you
If you're going to be there that soon, try checking apartments in Edgewater or Uptown - you'll get a lot more for your money than you will in Lakeview. Not to mention, Edgewater and Uptown have an express bus (147) that will take you directly along Michigan avenue. So you'd be living a little further north than Lakeviwe in general, but the commute wouldn't be much different at all. Plus for the summer, you'll be living right along the beach in either neighborhood most likely. Although, if you're already not sure about Boystown, avoid Hollywood beach in Edgewater, as it's primarily a LGBT beach.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 AM

102 posts, read 332,552 times
I'm a straight male living in the same area. My building is mostly full of elderly people and young couples, so there are plenty of straight people here. As long as you don't have a problem seeing gay men holding hands in public, then you'll be fine here and won't stick out at all.

As for bars, the nearest "strip" of bars is on Halsted, and they are gay bars; however, there are a few non-gay bars on Broadway south of Belmont. Also, as someone already mentioned, Wrigleyville isn't far away at all, and you can also go a little further and hang out at the college bars on Lincoln in Lincoln Park.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Boys Town looms large more as a gathering mecca than an actual demographic, and one that is increasingly limited in age to boot. Gay friends of my parents I grew up who are in their 60s, 70s, etc have all expressed frustrations about living in an area dominated by 20 and 30-something nightlife. Personally, I think it's great that Chicago is now seen as tolerant enough to attract these folks - many neighboring cities would kill to get this highly-educated demographic back that unquestionably (far fewer kids) contributes vastly more resources to to the City than they get back.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Alright, thanks every one. It's great to get some honest feedback. From what you guys have said I don't think I will have a problem at this location.

Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeling Brackish View Post
I'm a straight male living in the same area. My building is mostly full of elderly people and young couples, so there are plenty of straight people here. As long as you don't have a problem seeing gay men holding hands in public, then you'll be fine here and won't stick out at all.
If you are uncomfortable with that I would say you shouldn't be living in Chicago altogether, or any major metro, as you will see that anywhere. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods on the northside have a few gay bars.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
You'll get used to it living here, as mentioned before. I have sales clientele in the area and have to take the el up there every other week to attend meetings. It is what it is.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Can any one recommend some good bars in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago