Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times

Advertisements

I know 2011 was a rough time for folks in Boystown due to ghetto thugs. Was 2012 any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM

359 posts, read 549,494 times
My understanding was that 2012 was actually worse than 2011, but sometime towards the end of the summer, the Halsted Street Chamber of Commerce paid a security company to put security guards to walk up and down Halsted at night. Apparantly, hardly anyone was going to the bars there anymore due to the fear of muggings, and the bars' bottom lines were taking a hit. This move seemed to have some positive effect. I hardly go to the area anymore, but I did walk up there last month and was looking around; things seemed pretty calm, but you have to remember it was December and very cold, so things were probably quiet for that reason. But, from checking police reports lately, it appears that the area is once again having problems with people being robbed at gunpoint, purse snatchings, etc. The city needs to hire more police and have them be permanently stationed there, as well as in places like the CTA stations and the Lakefront path, in order to get the thugs under control and prevent them from coming into the area.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
My understanding was that 2012 was actually worse than 2011, but sometime towards the end of the summer, the Halsted Street Chamber of Commerce paid a security company to put security guards to walk up and down Halsted at night. Apparantly, hardly anyone was going to the bars there anymore due to the fear of muggings, and the bars' bottom lines were taking a hit. This move seemed to have some positive effect. I hardly go to the area anymore, but I did walk up there last month and was looking around; things seemed pretty calm, but you have to remember it was December and very cold, so things were probably quiet for that reason. But, from checking police reports lately, it appears that the area is once again having problems with people being robbed at gunpoint, purse snatchings, etc. The city needs to hire more police and have them be permanently stationed there, as well as in places like the CTA stations and the Lakefront path, in order to get the thugs under control and prevent them from coming into the area.
A lot has happened in the area. Last time I was in the area a group of 10 guys jumped on one guy and stabbed him. It was an awful sight.

I don't do boys town. Its not my cup of tea. It is a destination gay yuppie neighborhood that known for drinking, prostitution, drugs and now thugs. What a mix!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
I visited the area on my quick trip to Chicago in April 2012. Parked, walked around at 2 am on a Sunday, and then 9 am that Sunday. Seemed lively and fun. Had no idea what was to happen a few months later, and apparently now. Makes me sick.

Just another reason I've lost my enthusiasm somewhat for your city and likely won't relocate.

By the way, regarding crime, Boston just had a 13 yo boy shot while walking to church choir at 7 pm -- in the Roxbury section, just a few miles from Mass. Avenue and Symphony Hall. So it's not just Chicago's problem, but overall it seems much safer in Boston than Chicago.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I visited the area on my quick trip to Chicago in April 2012. Parked, walked around at 2 am on a Sunday, and then 9 am that Sunday. Seemed lively and fun. Had no idea what was to happen a few months later, and apparently now. Makes me sick.

Just another reason I've lost my enthusiasm somewhat for your city and likely won't relocate.
Chicago is still a great city with many safe neighborhoods. As with Boston or any other place you have to pick and choose the area you live in and only deal with hard facts when making your decision.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,758 times
Twenty years ago I did gaurdian angels in the area.
The highlight was chasing down a guy running down the alley with a drag queens purse.

It's actually gotten a lot better since then.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM

191 posts, read 361,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

By the way, regarding crime, Boston just had a 13 yo boy shot while walking to church choir at 7 pm -- in the Roxbury section, just a few miles from Mass. Avenue and Symphony Hall. So it's not just Chicago's problem, but overall it seems much safer in Boston than Chicago.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't do boys town. Its not my cup of tea. It is a destination gay yuppie neighborhood that known for drinking, prostitution, drugs and now thugs. What a mix!
I suspect, by your comments, that you've never visited the neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
My BF lives right at Halsted and Buckingham and I stay there most nights of the week, go out in Boystown a few times a week and two of my best friends own a bar and a restaurant on the strip. 2011 was pretty bad in the spring, but actually 2012 was a LOT better from talking to them and just getting the feeling walking around nightly on Halsted and talking with friends who are cops.

Still issues of course just having thousands of drunk people on the street and a lot of people from other neighborhoods who came in, but not the rash of robberies like there were in 2011. Things really seemed to calm down in the fall of 2012.

My friends said the restaurant business is still doing great, but he said the street saw a dropoff of sales in the fall at the bars. No one is quite sure, there's nothing really scaring people away. He honestly thinks it's because it got up into the 80's in March and the "summer" season at the bars started pretty early this year. They went from record sales all summer to trailing off around September. The thought is people might have just gotten tired of the heavy partying after starting so early this year. It picked back up to normal around December.

I certainly don't have the unease there I did a few years ago. Not a huge champion of boystown or anything, I mean I go out there but it's not my favorite thing in the world. I like the restaurants much more than just pissing money away at the bars. I'm also in my early 30's now and fighting the huge crowds at the bars every weekend seriously lost its luster.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Are you ever on that street??? I moved here 11 years ago and Halsted is WAY more packed now than it ever was back in the early 2000's. There are also many more bars open then there were just a few years ago. I get sick of the crowds very easy. I'd rather have a dive bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago