Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM

359 posts, read 549,630 times

Advertisements

Interesting and informative blog highlighting where some of the robberies and "wilding" attacks have been taking place in the Wrigleyville and Boystown pockets of Lakeview. Hopefully, this blog will be helpful in raising people's situational awareness, helping to keep people safe while going about their business in this otherwise awesome neighborhood:

Crime In Wrigleyville & Boystown: DANGER ZONES: The Most Dangerous Streets In Wrigleyville and Boystown

It will also help raise awareness of the crime issues so that we can put more pressure on the city to hire more police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Now for some perspective: Sounds to me from reading this that those are the numbers from the beginning of 2013 up until now (last week in May). Nearly five months.

Quote:
#1 Belmont Ave between Clark St and Sheffield Ave (5 robberies)
#2 (tie) Pine Grove Ave between Cornelia Ave and Addison St (4 robberies)
#2 (tie) Halsted St between Roscoe St and Cornelia Ave (4 robberies)
#2 (tie) Aldine Ave between Halsted St and Broadway (4 robberies)
#2 (tie) Clark St between Aldine Ave/School St and Cornelia Ave (3 robberies)
So the worst stretches for crime in that area have averaged only one robbery a month or even less. Given how many people traverse those streets in a month's time, it appears that any individual's chances of being a robbery victim in any given month are pretty slim.

I'd say be vigilant and cautious, and be aware of what's going on in your surroundings, but other than that, don't worry about crime excessively.

Weren't the Guardian Angels going to start patrolling that area? At least that's what I heard. What has become of that?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
^ Agreed. That's not very much. Furthermore, I would bet that most of these take place during the early morning hours on Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays. If you look at it, they're mainly near nightlife areas. It's probably a few drunk people every month being taken advantage of in the early hours.

Also, this is a very small section of Lakeview, as Lakeview is a fairly large neighborhood in area, and not to mention it's the 2nd most populated community area in all of Chicago, not to mention as you did....the amount of people from outside the neighborhood that visit it. I wish crime rates took into account that too. They are per 100k, which is fine but it's only residents. The Loop is 29,000 people for example, but hundreds of thousands of people who work there and even when they aren't there on the weekends, there's loads of tourists. The rates don't take that into account.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-29-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,759 times
I genuinely laughed out loud at the title of that "article".

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I genuinely laughed out loud at the title of that "article".
LOL me too. This was the first thing that popped into my mind:

Top Gun Highway To The Danger zone - YouTube

Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,737 times
link n parker starts some pretty awful threads...i wonder which one of chicago's racist bloggers is behind this site?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Interesting and informative blog highlighting where some of the robberies and "wilding" attacks have been taking place in the Wrigleyville and Boystown pockets of Lakeview. Hopefully, this blog will be helpful in raising people's situational awareness, helping to keep people safe while going about their business in this otherwise awesome neighborhood:

Crime In Wrigleyville & Boystown: DANGER ZONES: The Most Dangerous Streets In Wrigleyville and Boystown

It will also help raise awareness of the crime issues so that we can put more pressure on the city to hire more police.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Sheesh,, this topic makes it sound like Lakview is Englewood.

I thought the person who started this topic was talking about car accidents, which I would say that the intersection by Belmont and Lake Shore Drive and where the #145 and #146 bus lets you off and you as a pedestrian are trying to cross the street to get the Belmont bus going west, cars dont want to stop and let pedestrians who have the green light, to cross without hitting them.. sheesh at those cars. They get off Lake Shore Drive and keep on going 40 miles per hour and just about hit you. I hope those red light cameras there get all those asswipes who practically run over pedestrians.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Just about everyone I know that has been mugged in Chicago (which isn't many people. Maybe 3 or 4) was mugged in that general area. In at least one case the perps had a car waiting for them down the street, so it was obviously a traveling enterprise. Both areas have plenty of drunk people who aren't as aware of their surroundings as they could be. That's a soft target for any criminal.

Now, having said all of that, we're still talking about low numbers here, so I'd hold off calling in the National Guard.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
More pedestrians are hit by texters and Facebookers than are victimized by crime.

If your going to be out late drinking, catch a cab home. And leave them drugs alone! Also don't be starting mess with people you don't know in the club or on the street.

Problems solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago