Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm potentially moving to the Chicago area for a job. I really want to live in the Lakeview/Boystown area, but my job is in Evanston (pretty close to the Evanston Metra stop). What would the commute be like every day? Google Maps shows an 11 mile/24 minute trip, but I feel like this could be an underestimate...maybe not though, since I'd probably be going against traffic for the most part. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Would you commute by car or by train? I think the estimate is reasonable. I could take the *el* to the loop from north Evanston during rush hour and be there in about 25 to 30 minutes.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
It would be kinda dumb to drive unless you had a very good reason for it.

You can take the Purple line from Belmont and get to Davis in like 20 minutes.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Thanks! I'd take the purple from Belmont to Central, but then I'd have to catch a bus from the Central stop to the office. Factor that in and the public transit commute is 50 minutes each way. I'd also probably drive because I work in the real estate/development and will need a car some days.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Well, you say "the" Metra train station but there's 3 of them in Evanston. Two of them are also right next to CTA Purple Line stops. As long as you're near one of those (Main and Davis), then the commute from Boystown really couldn't be more convenient, at least from the southwest corner of Boystown -- the closer to the Belmont CTA stop the better, because the Purple Line runs express from Belmont all the way to the Chicago/Evanston border, after which there's only two stops to the Main Street station and two more to the Davis Street station. If you work off-hours then the commute gets longer as you'd have to take a Red Line to the Chicago/Evanston border and then catch a Purple Line from there. But it's still an easy trip, just longer time-wise.

EDIT: just noticed a subsequent post where you say you'll be working by the Central station. That adds a wrinkle to the convenience factor, but public transit is probably still your best option. Sounds like you've got it sorted out as to how to get from A to B.

Last edited by Drover; 07-22-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

124 posts, read 379,392 times
Are you absolutely dead-set on being in Trouser Town? If you're willing to go just a bit north and west, there's a Metra stop in Ravenswood (on Ravenswood Ave.) that would get you to the Evanston Central Station in about 10 minutes.

The neighborhood is kinda cool over there...as far as culture, a little bit Andersonville, a little bit Lakeview, a little bit LIncoln Square, but not yupped/hipstered out.

If you're concerned about a gay neighborhood, I think the area's very gay-friendly, and it's my own personal opinion that Boystown ain't so gay anymore, as far as the people who live there.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
Are you absolutely dead-set on being in Trouser Town? If you're willing to go just a bit north and west, there's a Metra stop in Ravenswood (on Ravenswood Ave.) that would get you to the Evanston Central Station in about 10 minutes.

The neighborhood is kinda cool over there...as far as culture, a little bit Andersonville, a little bit Lakeview, a little bit LIncoln Square, but not yupped/hipstered out.

If you're concerned about a gay neighborhood, I think the area's very gay-friendly, and it's my own personal opinion that Boystown ain't so gay anymore, as far as the people who live there.
Plus, if you nonetheless want to conduct your social life in Boystown, you can hop on the Brown Line at Damen or Montrose and be there in about 10 minutes. This really seems like the best way to commute to to the Central Avenue station in Evanston while spending your free time in Boystown.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
I've known several people who commuted to NU or downtown Evanston from Lakeview, but never as far as Central and then some. If the office is <1 mi. away from the station, you might look into using a bike/scooter/skates for the last mile -- sometimes better than a bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
Ravenswood Ave... The neighborhood is kinda cool over there...as far as culture, a little bit Andersonville, a little bit Lakeview, a little bit LIncoln Square, but not yupped/hipstered out... it's my own personal opinion that Boystown ain't so gay anymore, as far as the people who live there.
I'd generally concur, although the OP should keep in mind that there are many fewer Metra trains than Purple Line trains. Living east of the Ravenswood station might be closer to Andersonville and its scene -- and between Andersonville and Buena Park/Uptown, there's enough gay nightlife around to keep most sorts (probably not club kids) happy.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
I would be more worried about where to park your car in boys town. Parking in that area can be expensive and hard to find. In addition Boy’s town isn’t the only part of the city with gay bars, just the main part. If you bring your car make sure you have somewhere to park it here.

Metra is faster than the CTA, but the their schedule might make them impractical. Check it to make sure it is comptable with your work schedule because Metra is more geared towards the 9 to 5 suburban worker coming downtown than an urban worker looking to get to the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: