Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Wisconsin Destination?
The Northwoods 2 13.33%
Door County 3 20.00%
The Dells 5 33.33%
Milwaukee 3 20.00%
Madison 5 33.33%
Lake Geneva 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

So when the weekends come calling and you're off to Wisconsin where do you usually go when you come to Wisconsin. I had a recent argument with a IL friend of mine who insist that Door County was where most IL people go when they come to Wisconsin I insisted that it was The Dells. So which is it and why? Just curious and do any IL people ever go to Indiana for anything? or southern IL for camping or does just everyone come up to Wisconsin? I am guessing the older crowd would be more into Door County and The Northwoods and the younger crowd and families lean towards Lake Geneva and the Dells. I do know some people from IL that just loving coming up to Madison or Milwaukee for the weekend, these people aren't much into camping.

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 04-01-2011 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Because I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
I think many people go to both. I actually go more towards the area of the Dells, but I don't go to the Dells specifically. We have a house out by Merrimac, close to Devil's head. So usually when I got I always hit up Madison, Sauk City, Prairie Du Sac, Merrimac and Devil's head. Sometimes Spring Green, Baraboo and the Dells.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I think many people go to both. I actually go more towards the area of the Dells, but I don't go to the Dells specifically. We have a house out by Merrimac, close to Devil's head. So usually when I got I always hit up Madison, Sauk City, Prairie Du Sac, Merrimac and Devil's head. Sometimes Spring Green, Baraboo and the Dells.
Yeah wouldn't Devils Lake and Baraboo count as the Dells area? I'm not big into the Dells and what's in spring green? The house on the rock?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM

I think you should have put the Dells area in the poll, instead of Dells. Like I said a lot of people, like myself, visit the area around the Dells more than the Dells itself. I think people tend to go all over when they visit Wisconsin. However, for some reason, or at least from the people that I know, the west coast of Michigan is becoming more and more popular.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yeah wouldn't Devils Lake and Baraboo count as the Dells area? I'm not big into the Dells and what's in spring green? The house on the rock?
Spring Green is good for the House on the Rock, but moreso camping. If we go camping, that's where we go. We usually just take a canoe, canoe down river and set up camp somewhere on the shores of the river. The town itself looks okay, nothing interesting, but doesn't look that bad either.

Sauk City and Prairie du Sac IMO are really nice and beautiful towns. I love their downtowns, very charming and scenic.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Spring Green is good for the House on the Rock, but moreso camping.
Although I think everyone should go to the House on the Rock one time in their lives, I found most of the House on the Rock to be a colossal collection of crap.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
There are lots of people from Illinois all around Wisconsin, Door County and the Dells being large attractions, but no matter where you are generally you won't go too long without seeing IL plates. The time I spend in Wisconsin is with family or friends, and I don't really do "recreation" there. The vast majority of my time in Wisconsin is spent in Milwaukee and surrounding area, with some out in the sticks of Sheboygan/Fond du Lac County as I have several friends that way.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Milwaukee and Madison.....

Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Default As far as Indiana

When folks from Illinois come to Indiana for a weekend get-away, it is usually to one of four places:

1) Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
2) Lighthouse Premium Outlets (Michigan City, Indiana)
3) Indiana Beach (Moneticello, Indiana)
4) Deep River Water Park (Merrillville, Indiana)

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM

56 posts, read 169,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Although I think everyone should go to the House on the Rock one time in their lives, I found most of the House on the Rock to be a colossal collection of crap.

So true...

With that in mind..Dells area and Door County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: