Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 16,167 times

Advertisements

I will be moving back to the city within the next month and need some advice regarding the "safe areas" for the neighborhoods of Old Irving, Avondale, and Logan Square. I lived near Diversey and California for a year and felt fine there. I am a petite female who will have to take the L and walk home late, around midnight (Mace in hand, of course). I am interested in proximity to the Blue Line/Metra/expressway (boyfriend will be commuting to Park Ridge, I will be commuting to Streeterville). So could anyone tell me the relatively "safe" borders for these three neighborhoods? I know they are a bit lacking in nightlife but I'd actually prefer a bedroom community for now (and obviously the prices don't hurt). Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM

110 posts, read 250,747 times
Old Irving Park is safe. The actual neighborhood is montrose to addison, pulaski and the railroad tracks. The area between addison and irving park is nicer, but it's all safe.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,079 times
In Logan Square, you are generally safer the further east you are, but parts of it can go block to block. I would say that if you stay within the immediate vicinity of the blue line, or near the square it self, you will be fine.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
Irving Park: It's all safe. The western portion of Irving Park is nicer, while the eastern part is okay, however as a whole Irving Park is a very safe neighborhood. Irving Park has a Metra stop (for your bf) that heads towards Park Ridge. However, I am not sure if that is the Metra line that will take you there.

Avondale:The eastern part is safer than (more specifically the northeastern part that borders Roscoe Village) the western part. If I were you I would look into the area east of the expressway, south of addison, north of belmont and west of the Chicago River. IMO that is the best part of Avondale or any area close to it. The area immediately west of the expressway is fine too. The far western part of Avondale can be shady, and while not super dangerous it's not super safe either.

Logan Square: Same as Avondale the eastern portion is the best. Stay east of Kimball. The western part of Logan Square can be dangerous, while not the most dangerous in the city, you do have to be much more careful than you would have to be in the western portion of Avondale.

On a side note, the nightlife is improving tremendously in all three neighborhoods. While nothing exciting, it is a drastic improvement in what was there a decade ago. Irving Park is starting to get some good nightlife by the Irving Park and Sacramento. In Avondale the nightlife is popping up mostly around California and Belmont. In Logan Square there are quite a few spots, but California and Milwaukee seem to be have the most going on. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
I don't disagree with the general assessment of Avondale, but if you want to be near the Blue Line you'd be better off being closer to Belmont/Kimball than further east. We're in the "quadrant" which is Diversey-Belmont, Kedzie-Kimball, and it seems as safe as any other part of the hood. Definitely gets a little more tricky as you get west of Kimball and Central Park, as there's a lot less foot traffic.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't disagree with the general assessment of Avondale, but if you want to be near the Blue Line you'd be better off being closer to Belmont/Kimball than further east. We're in the "quadrant" which is Diversey-Belmont, Kedzie-Kimball, and it seems as safe as any other part of the hood. Definitely gets a little more tricky as you get west of Kimball and Central Park, as there's a lot less foot traffic.
I only mentioned the northeast part of Avondale as it is really convenient for pedestrians as you have Target, all the stores in Addison Mall, good bars/restaurants (ie. Kumas, Pork Shoppe, Orbit Room, Sqaure, Chief O'Neils), Jewel, Home Depot, Kmart, Chase Bank, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, CVS, a chipotle coming soon, Best Buy, Aldi, a new X-sport Fitness coming to Belmont and the expressway, reasonable walking distance to both the Addison and Belmont Blue line stops (from Roscoe and Elston it's about 10 minute walk to the Belmont and 13-15 minute walk to Addison), all of these are very convenient by foot if you live in the northeast part of Avondale. You also have a lot more park access in the northeast part of Avondale. However, Belmont and Kimball is also pretty good. I think once you get past Central Park it starts to get so-so and worse as continue west.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,167 times
Thanks! Now I'm just curious, is $900 or less for a 1BR asking too much in Irving/Old Irving? I didn't think so but then again I'm hunting during "prime season." I was hoping for a better deal, being so far away from the hip areas of the city.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM

I don't think asking too much, you will definitely find some. Don't know how nice they would be.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

110 posts, read 250,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkanella View Post
Thanks! Now I'm just curious, is $900 or less for a 1BR asking too much in Irving/Old Irving? I didn't think so but then again I'm hunting during "prime season." I was hoping for a better deal, being so far away from the hip areas of the city.
I pay $750 for a 943 sq. ft. 1 BR. I found my apartment in September.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkanella View Post
You should definitely be able to find that. Walk/drive/bike through the neighborhood to look for For Rent signs. That will always be the best way to find the best rental deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago