Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM

21 posts, read 24,367 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So I am nineteen and live in Kansas. However, there is Lollapalooza in Chicago and I really want to go. I was wondering how safe it would be if I went there by myself from out of town? I would probably take a taxi from a train station to a hotel. Then to the music festival the next day.

Does it sound pretty safe? Also, are there any suggestions for hotel/hostels? Preferably between...$40-50. Any help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamlessNights View Post
Hello everyone. So I am nineteen and live in Kansas. However, there is Lollapalooza in Chicago and I really want to go. I was wondering how safe it would be if I went there by myself from out of town? I would probably take a taxi from a train station to a hotel. Then to the music festival the next day.

Does it sound pretty safe? Also, are there any suggestions for hotel/hostels? Preferably between...$40-50. Any help would be appreciated.
There's a hostel (link below) about 3 blocks from Grant Park where Lalapalooza is taking place. It's pretty much your only hope of getting a room anywhere close to the park at the rate you're after without staying in a junkie flophouse. I suspect it booked up within days or weeks after the official concert dates were announced, but you can always call and check for yourself. If you find it's booked, check back and I'll give you links to a couple other hostels that are a few miles from Grant Park but easily accessible by mass transit.

While the hostel and the concert are in a safe part of town, "safe" is relative. You're not likely to come into any harm if you mind yourself, but this is still a big city where bad stuff can happen anywhere so don't let your guard totally down.

On a related note, you really would be better off having at least one wing(wo)man with you. That said, if you choose to come by yourself, please do yourself a favor and stay sober. You can't get much more vulnerable than a lone 19-year-old girl a thousand miles from home in an unfamiliar setting with diminished capacity for lucid thought. Have fun, stay safe, stay lucid.

HI - Chicago Hostel :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 AM

47 posts, read 54,820 times
How do you know the OP is a girl?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Try this place. Its in a safe area and its geared for students. There are several hostels in the Chicago area. These are both in safe places. Do not stay in a flop house type hotel. It will be safe provided you stay on the beaten track and do not venture into areas you are unfamiliar with, and you stay sober.

Chicago Getaway Hostel in Chicago - Cheap Accommodation for International Backpackers

Also there is another one

Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,472 times
There is nothing unsafe about Lolla really. If you can find a place to stay for that price go for it.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Not sure where you're coming from in Kansas, but Megabus can be a really good cheap option between Kansas City and Chicago. It takes a good long time no doubt, but it's likely well less than driving your car, taking Amtrak or flying.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Try this place. Its in a safe area and its geared for students. There are several hostels in the Chicago area. These are both in safe places. Do not stay in a flop house type hotel. It will be safe provided you stay on the beaten track and do not venture into areas you are unfamiliar with, and you stay sober.

Chicago Getaway Hostel in Chicago - Cheap Accommodation for International Backpackers

Also there is another one

I looked up Chicago Hostels and found the two you mention, which I've known about for years, but also discovered a third (which I'd never heard of before)...

AAE Parthenon Hostel in Chicago, USA | Hostel

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
To the OP, call all 3 and see if any of them have any rooms that weekend, and I wouldn't wait, I'd do it ASAP.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
There's one more up by the Loyola campus: Chicago International Hostel Hostel in Chicago - Hostel Chicago

Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,576 times
I feel like your entire experience in Chicago and at Lolla would be much better if you brought a friend or two. If you can't find anyone to go with, or you just want to try this trip by yourself, then by all means, go for it, but for me, music festivals are always a lot more fun when I have friends to hang out with and enjoy the music with. Also, it'll make eating out a lot more comfortable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago