Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm considering a move from Atlanta to either Chicago, Dallas or Houston in 2012. I'm a SBF in my early thirties and I work in clinical research (currently in cardiology).

Help convince me Chicago is the right choice out of the three

1. Can I expect to make a higher salary for the same type of position there as compared to here? I have a bachelors and 6 years research coordinator experience; I've been looking at Northwestern, Rush & University of Chicago because I had been seeing quite a few research positions there. I may also look into pharma. companies or CROs that do research.

2. Please offer any insight on a good strategy for securing a job out of state. Do I need to mention in my cover letters that I can relocate within 2-3 weeks of written offer? Mention that I do not need relocation assistance?

3. I currently rent a 700-something square foot apartment for mid 600's. It's not new but it's nice. Any recommendations on areas to rent in/stay away from that are in the 700-800 range for a 1 bedroom (no roommates)? (That are safe?) I like diversity, proximity to public transit/restaurants/culture/arts/places I can meet other singles easily, etc.

4. What's a good way to find an economical place? Meaning, low security deposit/application fees, electric, etc.? Craigslist? Apartmentfinder.com?

5. Besides the weather (and restaurants not selling 'sweet tea' ), what are some things I might be in for a culture shock? I'd be interested to hear from other southerners that moved to Chicago about this question.

6. If you were me, how much would you think would be the minimal amount to have saved up ideally before moving? This is assuming you already had a job lined in Chicago before leaving. This would include first month's rent, security deposit/application fee, transit card, and furniture for a 1 bedroom apartment (I plan to sell all my furniture so I don't have to pay to move much; the money will go towards all new furniture).

7. Please feel free to mention reasons why you think Chicago is/is not a better choice than Dallas or Houston, and feel free to specifically mention any of the following: culture, food, weather, arts/entertainment, employment, transportation, and dating life for females.

Lastly, is it true Chicago has a Sprinkles cupcakes? What side of town is it on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Lastly, is it true Chicago has a Sprinkles cupcakes? What side of town is it on?
It is downtown near the Hancock building.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Here's a Chicagoan that has transplanted to the south...let me tell you of the culture shock that you will experience:

Chicagoans are very realistic. They (most times) will say what they mean and mean what they say. SO, you will be taken back at (what you will consider to be) their rudeness, but, it isn't rude. It is just real. The flipside to that will be that you will usually know where you stand with people; there is no second-guessing or worrying about "what did she mean by that"...

Chicagoans are immensely loyal and traditional. Sports teams are big; people are diehard fans of their sports teams...get to know baseball (at least a little)..and, they are born into their teams. (it does not change throughout their lives) Learn the traditions of the area in which you land; it will help towards meeting people.

on that note, there is a distinct division between the north and south sides of the city. Don't mix the allegiance to your sports team to the wrong side of the city.

You will not find the "friendliness" that is common in Atlanta. People will NOT randomly speak to you in the stores nor where ever you move to. You will NOT have anyone welcoming you with a cake or cookies. You will NOT have anyone speak as you walk down the street. This is not rude. This is self-preservation. Many times, in the city, if someone randomly talks to you on the street, they are setting you up to be mugged.

The pace of life there is MUCH faster. Expect to be zooming about quickly and rushing all the time. No time for chatting to the supermarket clerk or anyone else, you have to be somewhere in about a minute. In that vein of thought, the work ethic is much stronger; work comes first in your life and there may not be time for anything else. Plus, unless there is some kind of huge snowstorm, there are not any snow days. You will be expected to be at work no matter what. And, you will be expected not to be late.

More places are offering sweet tea now which freaks me out. (where am I???) You will be hard pressed to find grits, however. A barbeque is a cookout and you won't find that pulled pork stuff in most places. Food in Chicago is fantastic; the mom-and-pop places are everywhere. You won't gain weight, however, since you will walk everywhere.

If you are in the city, you will not need your car. Public transportation is everywhere, it is cheaper and easier to use than driving. Plus, then you won't have to worry about it being stolen (or broken into).

If you have other questions, please PM me! there are others on this site that have made the transplant switch, too.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

88 posts, read 206,058 times
Sorry, I beg to differ about BBQ being (just) a cookout. Within the past few months, several new BBQ joints have opened and they all have pulled pork:
Lillie Q - 1856 W North Ave
Chicago Q - 1160 N Dearborn St
The Pork Shoppe - 2755 W Belmont Ave
Smoque - 3800 N Pulaski Rd
The Smoke Daddy - 1804 W Division St

I thought the pulled pork sandwich at Chicago Q was actually quite good.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Here's a Chicagoan that has transplanted to the south...let me tell you of the culture shock that you will experience:

Chicagoans are very realistic. They (most times) will say what they mean and mean what they say. SO, you will be taken back at (what you will consider to be) their rudeness, but, it isn't rude. It is just real. The flipside to that will be that you will usually know where you stand with people; there is no second-guessing or worrying about "what did she mean by that"...

Chicagoans are immensely loyal and traditional. Sports teams are big; people are diehard fans of their sports teams...get to know baseball (at least a little)..and, they are born into their teams. (it does not change throughout their lives) Learn the traditions of the area in which you land; it will help towards meeting people.

on that note, there is a distinct division between the north and south sides of the city. Don't mix the allegiance to your sports team to the wrong side of the city.

You will not find the "friendliness" that is common in Atlanta. People will NOT randomly speak to you in the stores nor where ever you move to. You will NOT have anyone welcoming you with a cake or cookies. You will NOT have anyone speak as you walk down the street. This is not rude. This is self-preservation. Many times, in the city, if someone randomly talks to you on the street, they are setting you up to be mugged.

The pace of life there is MUCH faster. Expect to be zooming about quickly and rushing all the time. No time for chatting to the supermarket clerk or anyone else, you have to be somewhere in about a minute. In that vein of thought, the work ethic is much stronger; work comes first in your life and there may not be time for anything else. Plus, unless there is some kind of huge snowstorm, there are not any snow days. You will be expected to be at work no matter what. And, you will be expected not to be late.

More places are offering sweet tea now which freaks me out. (where am I???) You will be hard pressed to find grits, however. A barbeque is a cookout and you won't find that pulled pork stuff in most places. Food in Chicago is fantastic; the mom-and-pop places are everywhere. You won't gain weight, however, since you will walk everywhere.

If you are in the city, you will not need your car. Public transportation is everywhere, it is cheaper and easier to use than driving. Plus, then you won't have to worry about it being stolen (or broken into).

If you have other questions, please PM me! there are others on this site that have made the transplant switch, too.
Thanks!

Are you happy with your move or do you see yourself back in Chicago one day?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juilletdix View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ about BBQ being (just) a cookout. Within the past few months, several new BBQ joints have opened and they all have pulled pork:
Lillie Q - 1856 W North Ave
Chicago Q - 1160 N Dearborn St
The Pork Shoppe - 2755 W Belmont Ave
Smoque - 3800 N Pulaski Rd
The Smoke Daddy - 1804 W Division St

I thought the pulled pork sandwich at Chicago Q was actually quite good.
That's nice to hear about the sweet tea! However I don't eat pork so a guess the BBQ places are a non issue for me LOL

However, I am a huge sweets fanantic. I tried to find a place that sold red velvet cupcakes that rivaled the ones here in Atlanta at a place called West Egg Cafe. In Chicago I tried one from Fox & Obel, one from Goddess & Grocer, and one from a newer placed called "more" (if I remember correctly)...but didn't find one during my short visit that quite did it for me. But I'm sure there are plenty of other places for me to try there

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

In my experience, there isn't much truth to this, people strike up conversations with me all the time while out walking the dog and I doubt they're sizing me up. I was also welcomed with cookies on my last move.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
In my experience, there isn't much truth to this, people strike up conversations with me all the time while out walking the dog and I doubt they're sizing me up. I was also welcomed with cookies on my last move.
What side of town did you live on with your last move?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
What side of town did you live on with your last move?
My last move was to my current location in what many consider the worst or second worst northside neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
My last move was to my current location in what many consider the worst or second worst northside neighborhood.
Uptown is large enough with some bad parts and really good parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: