Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
musicians seem to hang out all over the city
That should narrow it down for the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
That should narrow it down for the OP
I know it can be tough. There are musicians, actors, artists, bankers, realtors, physicians, traders, techies, scientists all over Chicago. I'm not aware of many places where any one of these types solely hang out. It's a big f'n city with a lot of people doing all sorts of stuff all over the place

Reminds me of the poster who was inthralled with the twin cities because they have the most poetry readings per capita in the country.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 PM

32 posts, read 69,046 times
Thanks to everybody for the advice!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
All cool musicians hang out at Jeff Tweedy's loft. Or perhaps with Billy Corgan.
Nah, Billy moved to L.A. But the Wilco Loft is available for musicians to rent out for recording sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
I once saw Henry Rollins walking around in the Gold Coast. Billy Corgan has a house in an expensive portion of Lake View. Your overgeneralization could not be further from the truth.
He sold that place years ago. He moved out of it there years before that as a courtesy to his neighbors when fans found out where he lived and started hanging around his house at all hours of the night.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
....There are musicians, ...all over Chicago. ...I'm not aware of many places where any one of these types solely hang out.
Well than go post in another thread where you do have some awareness that can help out the OP. I am aware of where "young musicians hang out" so I offered some guidance which would actually help.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
LOL. Let's be serious, obviously the hipper neighborhoods have more musicians than the pricey ones - and Billy Corgan bought that fancy Lake View victorian back in the early 90s.

likewise, Jeff Tweedy is in Irving Park because he's got a family. Tweedy owns a house, right? My point is hoods where people spend a lot to live/are usually like that as the residents value peace and quiet. In my experience this translates into folks more intolerant of "ambient band noise."

the OP can elaborate, but most people that move to Chicago "looking for musicians" are looking for a younger crowd, and looking for space to play without saying hello to Officer Friendly every other night. Logan Square, Avondale, Bucktown, the hood around Grand & Western, quasi-industrial ones, etc.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

32 posts, read 69,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I suspect the OP and Jeff Tweedy's wife don't, so I'm not gonna recommend they hang around Irving Park hoping to bump into him. I figured I'd give them some advice that would actually be helpful.
Thank you and it's much appreciated, practical advice. What are the main hipster bars/clubs/coffee shops in Chicago? Can you or someone else just list them? And any other music venues (somebody only listed 6, there's gotta be more, right?)

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyMayfield View Post
Thank you and it's much appreciated, practical advice. What are the main hipster bars/clubs/coffee shops in Chicago? Can you or someone else just list them? And any other music venues (somebody only listed 6, there's gotta be more, right?)
Far too many to list, to be honest, and while I am amazingly cool, I'm not aware of every cool hangout in the city, since I mostly stick close to my own neighborhood, but chances are, most places in Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park/Avondale/Ukrainian Village are hipster/scenester friendly. Two easy ways to identify a hipster/scenester friendly place:

1) Their signs are in English
2) Dudes and chicks in skinny jeans with clunky black glasses grabbing a smoke outside.

Seriously, I've met most of my musician friends via Open Mic nights and then via many of those friends. Check out Bucktown Pub or Gallery Cabaret on Sunday nights. Pint on Tuesday nights and other places like The Store, Coles, and probably any number of places you'd find if you Google "Open Mic Night Chicago"
I've also met a lot of artist type people at my local watering holes (Marble, Streetside, Rocking Horse, California Clipper) and while I'm much older and better looking than they are, I've still been able to make some good friends that come out to support me when I play, and/or offer some artistic support or collaboration to my endeavors.
I am sure there are other neighborhoods that I'm not mentioning (Pilsen, for example) because, while I've heard they are artist friendly (in parts at least) I couldn't tell you where to go there. Maybe someone else here can.
I see you're from Detroit, so I'd say if you have any experience with the Royal Oak/Ferndale/Berkley music scene, you'll find the Wicker Park/Logan Square/Avondale scene similar, if not skewed slightly younger demographically, so you should be fine. Go out, meet people, see some shows, build a network. Support other's endeavors and they'll support yours.
And who knows, maybe you will meet Jeff Tweedy and jam. You'd be surprised at how many 90's alt-rock veterans are warming barstools in Chicago
(Not Jeff, though, he doesn't drink anymore)
Good luck!

Last edited by quigboto; 08-22-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Far too many to list, to be honest, and while I am amazingly cool, I'm not aware of every cool hangout in the city, since I mostly stick close to my own neighborhood, but chances are, most places in Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park/Avondale/Ukrainian Village are hipster/scenester friendly. Two easy ways to identify a hipster/scenester friendly place:

1) Their sign is in English
2) Dudes and chicks in skinny jeans with clunky black glasses grabbing a smoke outside.

Seriously, I've met most of my musician friends via Open Mic nights and then via many of those friends. Check out Bucktown Pub or Gallery Cabaret on Sunday nights. Pint on Tuesday nights and other places like The Store, Coles, and probably any number of places you'd find if you Google "Open Mic Night Chicago"
I've also met a lot of artist type people at my local watering holes (Marble, Streetside, Rocking Horse, California Clipper) and while I'm much older and better looking than they are, I've still been able to make some good friends that come out to support me when I play, and/or offer some artistic support or collaboration to my endeavors.
I am sure there are other neighborhoods that I'm not mentioning (Pilsen, for example) because, while I've heard they are artist friendly (in parts at least) I couldn't tell you where to go there. Maybe someone else here can.
I see you're from Detroit, so I'd say if you have any experience with the Royal Oak/Ferndale/Berkley music scene, you'll find the Wicker Park/Logan Square/Avondale scene similar, if not skewed slightly younger demographically, so you should be fine. Go out, meet people, see some shows, build a network. Support other's endeavors and they'll support yours.
And who knows, maybe you will meet Jeff Tweedy and jam. You'd be surprised at how many 90's alt-rock veterans are warming barstools in Chicago
(Not Jeff, though, he doesn't drink anymore)
Good luck!
Sound advice (hi-YO!), I'd add that Quenchers and Cole's have gravitated into hipster-musician-elite status in recent years, meaning just they have a rep for being cool to bands/musicians (the sound guys aren't pretentious idiots, the sound system itself is reliable, etc.).

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Sound advice (hi-YO!), I'd add that Quenchers and Cole's have gravitated into hipster-musician-elite status in recent years, meaning just they have a rep for being cool to bands/musicians (the sound guys aren't pretentious idiots, the sound system itself is reliable, etc.).
Good call. Quenchers was an egregious omission on my part. Plus they have a stellar beer selection if you're into that kind of thing.
(Which I am)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago