Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 20,887 times

Advertisements

I know there has been countless threads on here about people moving to the city trying to find safe places to live but none of them really answer my question.

Am about to start a rotation at Mt. Sinai (California Ave.) and have been looking for decent neighbourhoods to find a flatshare.

I've been reading on here that Wicker Park is nice and the obvious places such as Lincoln Park and the Loop but I'm having trouble understanding how difficult the commute and transport situation will be like for getting to Mt. Sinai.

I'm from London so am happy to be walking about and using the bus/train but my understanding is that no one walks about around that area and I don't want to get any trouble walking about like some wierd limey!

So basically if anyone can point me to places to check out with nice transport links to the hospital i'd be eternally greatful.

I'd rather be in a nice place which is a slightly harder commute so I have at least enjoy the weekends in Chicago than be really really close to the hospital and in a not so safe place and be house bound.

I'd also be leaving the hospital around 6'ish every day.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM

78 posts, read 86,800 times
I wouldn't take public transit to and from the hospital if I could avoid it.

I don't know if driving is an option for you though.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM

258 posts, read 760,130 times
Bus 157 and bus 18 provide direct service to the hospital, and don't pass through bad neighborhoods on the way. So the 157 gives you a one-seat ride from Streeterville or the West Loop, while the 18 gives you a one-seat ride from the South Loop or Pilsen or an easy transfer from the Red/Orange/Green lines at Roosevelt.

If you prefer to take the L most of the way, the Pink Line California station is only four blocks south. It's not a bad neighborhood, but you may not be comfortable walking after dark. With BusTracker on your mobile, you can time your departure to stand in the hospital lobby or in the stationhouse until a minute before the 94 bus arrives.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
I don't think that block specifically is all that bad and the areas directly east and south of the hospital will generally be fine but you'll want to avoid public transit coming in from or taking you through the areas west. Garfield Park and Lawndale are pretty rough. Figure out where you want to live and then stay on public transit that runs eastern-ish of Western as a rule of thumb. You should be able to find a bus that runs down Damen or Western.

If there's a bus that comes down Ogden to the hospital that would probably be ok too. The pink line is probably fine as well though I can't say I've ever been on it.

Probably lots of people commuting to and from the hospital, which will help.

It's very much block-to-block in terms of what I would consider "safe" over in that neck of the woods.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks a lot for all your help. I have no car and i'd rather not be hanging around the hospital looking like some lost douche. But that one seat bus sounds pretty much ideal.

Like I said I'd much rather sacrifice some sleep and have some crappy commutes and sleep in a nice part of town so I can at leat enjoy it on the weekends.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
The loop would be a fast commute...but lincoln park isn't that far away either

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

As opposed to starting a new thread. Could any one recommend me the best place to find a short term rental or flatshare?? Have been on craigslist the past month.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

258 posts, read 760,130 times
I saw a Sinai Medical Courtesy Shuttle downtown tonight. Are you sure the hospital doesn't have an employee shuttle to downtown train stations?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM

I think there is one that goes to Union Station.

I have been in touch a place on N Fairfield avenue and W Iowa Street.

It's West of Ukranian village and far enough from Humbolt as to not make me **** my pants everytime I leave the house.

But the buses are the 52 round the corner then change for the 18 and jump off for a nice walk through Douglas Park to the hospital

or.... walk a little bit a couple of blocks to catch the 94 all the way to the front entrance.

Are these buses nice to travel in? They seem to travel a little too West of what most people on here recommend.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
I'm not sure about that one. It's definitely right on the border of some pretty crappy neighborhoods. You never know in this city though. I'm not that familiar with California Avenue running that far south but maybe someone else is. It's really block to block over there. You can be somewhere fine, like around Taylor Street, and all of a sudden be in a pretty damn awful block.

But then sometimes there are a lot of commuters on public transit through crappy neighborhoods so even if the neighborhood sucks the bus or whatever will be more or less OK.

Hopefully someone chimes in who is familiar with those bus routes.

If you were just commuting in the day I'd guess you'd be OK. I would guess in any event the bus ride would not be what you would describe as 'nice' down that route, you are probably just looking at 'acceptable' at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago