Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM

358 posts, read 916,500 times

Advertisements

Okay, perhaps I'm asking the impossible, but is there a great jazz/blues club in Chicago that is non-smoking?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:17 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
Wait until January, and they should all be non-smoking.

The state's legislature has passed a smoke-free bill, and the governor is expected to sign it before July 31.

The bill would take effect Jan. 1.

As someone who is very allergic to cigarette smoke (allergic to tobacco), I can sympathize greatly!

In the meantime, check out a smoke-free Cubs or White Sox game, and enjoy the fresh air come January!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 AM

358 posts, read 916,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Wait until January, and they should all be non-smoking.

The state's legislature has passed a smoke-free bill, and the governor is expected to sign it before July 31.

Are you serious?! But, since some of them are bars, as well, does the bill apply to them as well?

Whenever these types of bills are debated, owners always complain that they'll lose business, which doesn't make a lot of sense, since only a minority of people still smoke. However, someone I know did some research on the subject, and in almost every case, business increased! And it makes perfect sense. The smokers have dominated most of these places and have driven away a lot of people (like you and me), so naturally the majority of the patrons will be smokers (or with all that smoke, it will seem so). However, in January, I will definitely visit many more places!

Thanks very much.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:13 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
The state legislation covers bars as well. We moved from Boston (smoke free for years) and can't wait.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Oh, I almost forgot, FitzGerald's in Berwyn is entirely smoke free.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:39 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
Here's a great website with news, etc. on the smoke-free bill. It definitely includes bars -- great news for those of us who have medical issues that preclude being around cigarette smoke!

Smoke Free Illinois

Old 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
I just moved from California where there is no smoking allowed...bars, clubs, you name it. So much better. I don't know any statistics about losing business, but I never noticed any decline, and a lot of people are more likely to go if they know there won't be smoke blown in their faces. This is something I am getting used to here, but thankfully won't have to deal with it for long!

So...back to the original question...where are some good jazz clubs?

Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,757 times
Green Mill is still probably the best, 4802 n broadway

Green Dolphin Street was decent as well, fairly new--on Webster and Ashland

You'll smell like an ashtray, but the music will be good.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Champaign IL recently repealed its smoking ban in bars. Bars there got hammered big time. One bar even bought a billboard ad that said something to the effect of "HEY NON-SMOKERS, YOU PROMISED YOU'D SHOW UP. WHERE ARE YOU?"

About two years ago, my favorite Champaign bar went smoke-free two nights a week on a trial basis. They dropped that idea real quick.

Urbana's smoking ban is still in effect, much to the chagrin of bar owners there who are losing a ton of business to people who are just going to Champaign instead. I went to my favorite Urbana bar a few weeks ago. I opened the door and a tumbleweed blew across the floor and hit me in the shin.

I don't understand banning smoking in bars. Restaurants and workplaces and all that stuff; that's fine, I get it. But bars are the one institution where smoking is still an expected, accepted convention among its patrons. Can't smokers have one, just one redoubt where they can smoke in peace? Why does it have to be all-or-nothing? It's not like people go to bars to get a good dose of the healthy lifestyle anyway.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:25 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
It just bothers me to have smoke blown in my face all night. Yes, I can choose to go or not go, but I believe the point of it is that it's second hand smoke. I guess we'll see how it goes in Chicago though, it's worked in LA for a while now...could be the difference between the west coast and the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago