Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 871,173 times

Advertisements

I graduate from Florida State University next May. Chicago is one of the cities I could see myself moving too in the fall for law school. A lot depends on my LSAT scores but I think I can be competitive for Northwestern, and I am almost positive I will be able to get into Loyola.

I just wanted to know if affordable housing can be found within the downtown area. By affordable I mean under $1000. Under $900 would be amazing but I know that is asking a lot. I do have a possible roommate up there as well. I would also prefer the housing to be in a somewhat nice and safe area.

Finally, what is your opinion of the public transportation system. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Going to law school is no longer a good career move. If youndon't have a lock on a top tier school and some connections as well the odds of paying off your student loans in any reasonable length of time are slim...

Both the Northweatern Law School and the much less selective Loyola Law School are blocks apart from each other near some the costliest residential property in Chicago's Gold Coast. $1000/ would not go far, probably not even in University sponsored apartments...

While you could fairly easily take public transit in from less costly parts of Chicago the bigger questions of how this would impact your ability to network with classmates and ultimately socialize with the kind of crowd that would ease your transition to employment should be a bigger issue that anything else...

Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Going to law school is no longer a good career move. If youndon't have a lock on a top tier school and some connections as well the odds of paying off your student loans in any reasonable length of time are slim...

Both the Northweatern Law School and the much less selective Loyola Law School are blocks apart from each other near some the costliest residential property in Chicago's Gold Coast. $1000/ would not go far, probably not even in University sponsored apartments...

While you could fairly easily take public transit in from less costly parts of Chicago the bigger questions of how this would impact your ability to network with classmates and ultimately socialize with the kind of crowd that would ease your transition to employment should be a bigger issue that anything else...
First, he didn't ask for career advice, he asked for neighborhood recommendations. Second, living in "less costly parts of the city" have almost zero impact on your ability to network and socialize with your classmates. You see each other all the time in class and then hang out in lounges or the library after class; and if you want to gather for social events off-campus, you pick a spot and then meet there. Do you think most or even a significant portion of Northwestern or Loyola Law's students live in the Gold Coast or Streeterville (where the NW and Loyola law schools are actually located)? In reality, most are scattered all over the north and northwest side, with some others living elsewhere, such as the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I graduate from Florida State University next May. Chicago is one of the cities I could see myself moving too in the fall for law school. A lot depends on my LSAT scores but I think I can be competitive for Northwestern, and I am almost positive I will be able to get into Loyola.

I just wanted to know if affordable housing can be found within the downtown area. By affordable I mean under $1000. Under $900 would be amazing but I know that is asking a lot. I do have a possible roommate up there as well. I would also prefer the housing to be in a somewhat nice and safe area.

Finally, what is your opinion of the public transportation system. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
When you say you want to live downtown, you need to clarify what you mean. To many people from outside the area, or even in much of suburbia, "downtown" refers to any part of the city within several miles of the central business district (also known as the Loop). To those of us who live in or very near the city, "downtown" refers specifically to the Loop and some of the shopping/nightlife districts immediately adjacent to it.

Most of Chicago's law schools are in or very near downtown. The lone exception is University of Chicago, which maintains its law school on the main campus way down on the south side. Since Chicago's transit system is oriented toward funneling people from the various outlying neighborhoods toward downtown, that gives you a lot of flexibility to choose whatever part of town fits your needs if you're attending any other law school here. Chicago's mass transit system has excellent coverage -- but don't confuse that with efficient coverage. The key to making Chicago's mass transit system an efficient experience is to live near a CTA train station. Buses run everywhere, but they're often slow and sometimes the headway intervals get pretty lengthy during off-peak times.

$900 to $1000 should get you a clean, comfortable one-bedroom apartment near a CTA station in a nice, happenin' neighborhood with a commute time to downtown of 25 minutes or less. Expand your commute time out to 30-45 minutes and you might even find a two-bedroom in that price range. If you are ultimately accepted to Northwestern, you'll want to focus your search along the Brown or Red lines on the North side if you want a "happenin'" neighborhood. If a more quiet and less happenin' neighborhood is more your speed (which might not be a bad idea if you're looking to avoid distractions), there are some near south or west side neighborhoods that could work for you as well. But we'll need a little more information about what you want from a neighborhood and how much time you're willing to commute before we can make specific recommendations.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First, he didn't ask for career advice, he asked for neighborhood recommendations. Second, living in "less costly parts of the city" have almost zero impact on your ability to network and socialize with your classmates. You see each other all the time in class and then hang out in lounges or the library after class; and if you want to gather for social events off-campus, you pick a spot and then meet there. Do you think most or even a significant portion of Northwestern or Loyola Law's students live in the Gold Coast or Streeterville (where the NW and Loyola law schools are actually located)? In reality, most are scattered all over the north and northwest side, with some others living elsewhere, such as the suburbs.

When you say you want to live downtown, you need to clarify what you mean. To many people from outside the area, or even in much of suburbia, "downtown" refers to any part of the city within several miles of the central business district (also known as the Loop). To those of us who live in or very near the city, "downtown" refers specifically to the Loop and some of the shopping/nightlife districts immediately adjacent to it.

Most of Chicago's law schools are in or very near downtown. The lone exception is University of Chicago, which maintains its law school on the main campus way down on the south side. Since Chicago's transit system is oriented toward funneling people from the various outlying neighborhoods toward downtown, that gives you a lot of flexibility to choose whatever part of town fits your needs if you're attending any other law school here. Chicago's mass transit system has excellent coverage -- but don't confuse that with efficient coverage. The key to making Chicago's mass transit system an efficient experience is to live near a CTA train station. Buses run everywhere, but they're often slow and sometimes the headway intervals get pretty lengthy during off-peak times.

$900 to $1000 should get you a clean, comfortable one-bedroom apartment near a CTA station in a nice, happenin' neighborhood with a commute time to downtown of 25 minutes or less. Expand your commute time out to 30-45 minutes and you might even find a two-bedroom in that price range. If you are ultimately accepted to Northwestern, you'll want to focus your search along the Brown or Red lines on the North side if you want a "happenin'" neighborhood. If a more quiet and less happenin' neighborhood is more your speed (which might not be a bad idea if you're looking to avoid distractions), there are some near south or west side neighborhoods that could work for you as well. But we'll need a little more information about what you want from a neighborhood and how much time you're willing to commute before we can make specific recommendations.
You're right I should have been more specific. I must admit I don't know a great deal about the layout of Chicago. I am visiting in November and hope to get abetter sense of how the city is setup. I guess what I prefer is to be located somewhat close to the Loop or adjacent sections as you discussed in your message. I understand I may have to live somewhat further out but I would really like in the "actual"downtown area. So far what you have given me is helpful and anything else you could add would be great!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM

78 posts, read 86,800 times
Quote:
I understand I may have to live somewhat further out but I would really like in the "actual"downtown area.
You will not be able to get a place downtown for under $1000.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
You're right I should have been more specific. I must admit I don't know a great deal about the layout of Chicago. I am visiting in November and hope to get abetter sense of how the city is setup. I guess what I prefer is to be located somewhat close to the Loop or adjacent sections as you discussed in your message. I understand I may have to live somewhat further out but I would really like in the "actual"downtown area. So far what you have given me is helpful and anything else you could add would be great!
Aside from what Mr. Satan above says not strictly being true (though your options will be quite limited), you should know that many of the city's most vibrant neighborhoods are not in or near downtown. If you're looking for a vibrant street scene with lots of nightlife and energy and shops and all that, the downtown neighborhoods aren't necessarily the best for that, at least once 6pm rolls around. So just one last clarification, are you looking for a vibrant urban neighborhood, or are you looking for proximity to campus? You can have both, but it will be extremely hard to get both in your price range. If you're willing to spend up to 30 minutes on a door-to-door commute, that opens up quite a bit more options in your price range.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666northstate View Post
You will not be able to get a place downtown for under $1000.
Good Deal! River North Studio - very cool! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2592199669.html - broken link)

You can try some of the neighborhoods directly west of where your prospective law schools are located: West Town and Ukrainian Village. You could take one bus to get to school and these areas are cheaper than their counterparts along the lake.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Aside from what Mr. Satan above says not strictly being true (though your options will be quite limited), you should know that many of the city's most vibrant neighborhoods are not in or near downtown. If you're looking for a vibrant street scene with lots of nightlife and energy and shops and all that, the downtown neighborhoods aren't necessarily the best for that, at least once 6pm rolls around. So just one last clarification, are you looking for a vibrant urban neighborhood, or are you looking for proximity to campus? You can have both, but it will be extremely hard to get both in your price range. If you're willing to spend up to 30 minutes on a door-to-door commute, that opens up quite a bit more options in your price range.
I could deal with a 30 minute door to door commute. A vibrant urban neighborhood and proximity close to campus would obviously be ideal, but as you said, I understand my options would be very limited. I could accept living further out as long as I am close to a form of public transportation, whether it be subway or bus. I could also handle living in a possibly less exciting downtown neighborhood as long as the price is affordable.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Good Deal! River North Studio - very cool! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2592199669.html - broken link)

You can try some of the neighborhoods directly west of where your prospective law schools are located: West Town and Ukrainian Village. You could take one bus to get to school and these areas are cheaper than their counterparts along the lake.
I guess i will have to check those places out!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
If you have the option of a roommate, and if this potential roommate does not completely suck, it seriously expands your options. I lived with a roommate for most of my time in Chicago, and my total rent + utilities + phone were hundreds less than you've budgeted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago