Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Not really a stupid question but. I see alot of jetplanes in the sky with their smoke trails. What are those for? Are they making clouds or something??
They're contrails - basically it's water from the engine exhaust that condenses in the cold temperatures at higher altitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM

174 posts, read 640,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
They're contrails - basically it's water from the engine exhaust that condenses in the cold temperatures at higher altitudes.
So what are they for? Does it have any specific purpose or something? I see many of them everyday. Different directions. It's different from just regular commercial airplanes. It's like they're making exibitions in the sky.
My cousin said, those are airforce jet planes. Is it that true?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post

So the "old fashioned" pizza boxes with a single flap in the front were spontaneously coming open and Chicago forged ahead with a new pizza box design?

Like I said, I've worked in pizza before, and have had pizza throughout the midwest, and maybe a couple of times in the South, and maybe once in Las Vegas, and NO ONE seems to have a problem with keeping traditional box lids down.

Is this a Union thing? #375 Local Pizza box makers get more cash for making boxes that are non-traditional?

Our pizza is so good we need to be sure that it gets to its destination intact.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I was thinking of dropping in and saying "Hi Bob" to Dr. Hartley during an upcoming visit, does anyone know if he still has his practice and what his office hours are?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I was thinking of dropping in and saying "Hi Bob" to Dr. Hartley during an upcoming visit, does anyone know if he still has his practice and what his office hours are?
No. But I think he lived in the Marina Towers at one time.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
So what are they for? Does it have any specific purpose or something? I see many of them everyday. Different directions. It's different from just regular commercial airplanes. It's like they're making exibitions in the sky.
My cousin said, those are airforce jet planes. Is it that true?
Um. No - it is simply a by-product of burning jet fuel. There's loads of CO2 in the exhaust as well, but it doesn't condense.

The reason there are so many (and they aren't just straight lines) around Chicago is that O'Hare and Midway are very busy airports, so the planes are flying in approach or holding patterns, not just flying over. You'll see more on cold days than hot ones as well, since the vapor condenses at lower altitudes in the colder weather.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
3 ft. (in general)

Really depends on the density of people on the sidewalk, the more people the closer you can get without appearing rude.
Am I the only one who defines personal space in terms of maximums and minimums, not feet and inches? How much space should you give me? The maximum that you're able to. How much should you block my path? The minimum that you're able to. Et cetera.

It's not even about muggers or rapists. It's just that too close is too close.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
I have more of a few dumb/antecdotal observations.......

People from Chicago dont do things Quickly (Enough)
I am a DC guy with alot of friends in NYC and in both places its about PUSH PUSH PUSH. If you want to get a hold of someone you are not only going to call the person and leave a VM you also -- leave an email, write him a post card, leave a note with his kid at day care, contact his landlord, exwife, brother in law, cousin, mistress etc so that there is no way he will miss you (then when he does call back, he responds by contacting your wife, mistress, brother, etc....) and asks why you are so lacadasical in calling him.

In Chicago, work associates dont call back, answer texts etc. It takes like 1 whole business day (an ETERNITY in our business). We have offices in DC, NYC, and CHI and guess who consistantly comes in 3rd place.

I read once that people on the east coast want stuff done fast (Amen), and people in the midwest want stuff done right....

Chicago has the handbrake UP while in gear
The driving in Chicago is much slower than DC, or NYC....I drive up and down 290 or 94, people see you coming in the fast lane then jump in front of you. Me = Pass on Shoulder. People in Chicago drive in a defeated manner....in DC we drive angry, in NYC its a mixture of craft and neccessity, Atlanta is just pure SPEED (granny does 90+ in that wide body cadillac...she doesnt play).

Miss a Toll Pay Online
OMG - One thing that is pure win is miss a toll get 1 week to pay online. In DC, NYC and ATL you get 2-3 misses and the tickets start flowing right to your inbox. You can of course pay those online (with a processing fee).

There are toll alarms in DC that go off if you drive through without paying, and you literally have people backing up (in rush hour traffic on major highway) to argue with toll person, and cops sitting right there on the shoulder. Paradise.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Is that you, Howard?

The dentist is down the hall.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Will Chicago have a pro football team someday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago