Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM

103 posts, read 218,553 times

Advertisements

I wasn't totally set on the $1000 rent thing but thanks for that info. LOL It really would be worth it to me. I was just pointing out that $1000 rent in a larger metro with "amenities" is worth more than a dry baron desert paying $800. That's all. But it will be good to see all of what's available in apartments and what are decent neighborhoods. I'll check out the ones mentioned above but I'm sure I'll get a chance to see quite a few. Plus you know, what is walking distance and what's not. But anyways thank you all very much for all of your all's suggestions and ideas and concerns.
It's gonna be fun!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Boilermakers, Pipefitters, Welders Union 597 in Chicago. MIG & TIG I think is a plus. It is possible to join the union and learn a trade. You have some practical experience. Throw a salamander in the pot and you can weld all winter inside new construction.

When you are up in Denver do yourself a favor and buy very warm clothing. The wind off the Lake can be bitter, biting cold.

Things you can do.. Depending upon the weather you may find Lake Tours; also lake lunch or dinner tours. Chinatown is always fun andan interestering place to find an inexpensive gift. Since you like buildings and architecture you might like Oak Park. You can take a walking tour of the world's largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The view from the 95th floor of the Hancock Center building is spectacular. During the day you can see forever. but at night you can see inside the lighted cabins of the jumbo jets as they fly past; the planeisthisclose to the window. The Willet Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has the skywalk There is also Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry. The botanical garden should be filled with the Xmas bloomers. The city buildings, Board of Trade, museums, Gold Coast and Mag Mile are all in an area spme call the downtown/business district. So is the train depot. Oak Park is about 9 miles out; you can catch a train at this depot.

There are all kinds of hotels in Chicago, but I don't think anything beats watching the sun come up over the lake with a hot cup of coffee. The lake is alive and always changing. Mountains are boring after a while and here is always a threat of forest fires in the summer.

There may also be a Winter trolley tour of the city. And of course there is alway theater and opera during the winter season. If you want to do that you should order tickets now. You do not want to leave Chicago without eating a dog and pizza. I would say there are very few foods you cannot find in Chicago because there are a thousand neighborhoods and 6,000 restaurants. They guys on this forum can tell you where all the good stuff is. If you are adventuresome you will eat some of the best food in the world in Chicago.

If you want to see something entirely different and you don't mind the cost, grab a cab and have the driver take you through the Lower Wacker Drive and perhaps out to Navy Pier. The story is that when the cops were coming in the front door to arrest Al Capone he was going down the back steps and out the door on Lower Wacker Drive to get away. And he did.

If you really want to learn about Chicago the main library should have the Chicago Encyclopaedia. it is an amazing historical accoiunt of the city Billy Sunday could not shut down. Above all else have fun. It is an exciting city for a first time visitor.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Curious as to what caught your attention about Chicago?

Just a side note I was watching Meteorite Men on TV over the wknd and they were in Odessa, TX

Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM

Wow Linicx thanks for that. You sound like you know the place well. Very interesting activities. I so want to see the city from the Hancock Center. Also too I'm a very proficient MIG welder. I've welded for 7 years now and can do just about any type. Braze, MIG, stick, and Aluminum TIG. Not sure about stainless or carbon but I'm sure I can pick it up very fast. My only draw back, and I'm working on it, is I'm not to great at reading blueprints. But I'm learning on my own now. Thank you though that's great to hear that it's at least an industry that's workable there.

And Sunny, The truth is I want to be in a large metro with multiple seasons and tons of diversity. Odessa has 2 seasons. Extremely hot and Extremely cold, with little to no snow. See, to me cold is worth it if there is snow to accompany it. I mean in Feb. this year it got to -6 with a -13 degree wind chill. It was beautiful. My hot tub at my apartment complex froze. LMBO. I thought it was amazing. The large pond in the the town was solid and it was snowing. But it only lasted for 3-5 days. then it was just 40 and cold up until April then it was 50mph winds and 95 degrees with most of our town catching on fire. which I think was actually most of the state but... then it was 100+ for over 120 days with no rain all the way from last September. The snow was all the moister we had for over 1 year. Straight drought.

And Odessa has no diversity. Straight up oil field trash. You can ask anyone here. Dream of being a Dr. or Lawyer, or something of that nature, in Odessa if you start working in the oil field, it sucks you in. And you'll never achieve your true ambitions because here you can make 6 figs with no college education. Literally I know cause I did. Back in 08 I grossed 115k and I was 18. But I blew it all. Could've went to college easily but nope, money was too good. Then we all know what 09 brought us which we slowed down alot. Got hrs cut, and a lot of lay offs just like the rest of the U.S but we picked bck up in late 09 early 2010. anyways my point is that just because you make a ton of money doesn't mean your happy. I'm a prime example of it. I just believe that if I can wake up every morning and not hate my next 10+ hrs of the day I'll be fine. Our work is supposed to be rewarding and fulfilling for our Creator. There has to be more to it than that.

Anyways I'll hop off of my soap box now. Sorry but you asked. LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89david98 View Post
Wow Linicx thanks for that. You sound like you know the place well. Very interesting activities. I so want to see the city from the Hancock Center. Also too I'm a very proficient MIG welder. I've welded for 7 years now and can do just about any type. Braze, MIG, stick, and Aluminum TIG. Not sure about stainless or carbon but I'm sure I can pick it up very fast. My only draw back, and I'm working on it, is I'm not to great at reading blueprints. But I'm learning on my own now. Thank you though that's great to hear that it's at least an industry that's workable there.

And Sunny, The truth is I want to be in a large metro with multiple seasons and tons of diversity. Odessa has 2 seasons. Extremely hot and Extremely cold, with little to no snow. See, to me cold is worth it if there is snow to accompany it. I mean in Feb. this year it got to -6 with a -13 degree wind chill. It was beautiful. My hot tub at my apartment complex froze. LMBO. I thought it was amazing. The large pond in the the town was solid and it was snowing. But it only lasted for 3-5 days. then it was just 40 and cold up until April then it was 50mph winds and 95 degrees with most of our town catching on fire. which I think was actually most of the state but... then it was 100+ for over 120 days with no rain all the way from last September. The snow was all the moister we had for over 1 year. Straight drought.

And Odessa has no diversity. Straight up oil field trash. You can ask anyone here. Dream of being a Dr. or Lawyer, or something of that nature, in Odessa if you start working in the oil field, it sucks you in. And you'll never achieve your true ambitions because here you can make 6 figs with no college education. Literally I know cause I did. Back in 08 I grossed 115k and I was 18. But I blew it all. Could've went to college easily but nope, money was too good. Then we all know what 09 brought us which we slowed down alot. Got hrs cut, and a lot of lay offs just like the rest of the U.S but we picked bck up in late 09 early 2010. anyways my point is that just because you make a ton of money doesn't mean your happy. I'm a prime example of it. I just believe that if I can wake up every morning and not hate my next 10+ hrs of the day I'll be fine. Our work is supposed to be rewarding and fulfilling for our Creator. There has to be more to it than that.

Anyways I'll hop off of my soap box now. Sorry but you asked. LOL
All very interesting, 89david98, and I wish you well with it. Sounds like you're headed for a fun adventure, if nothing else. Very cool. But one detail I would point out is that Chicago is actually not a super-snowy place in the winter. Chicago is a very cold place, and it does receive some snow, but it generally does not get buckets of snow throughout the winter the way some places do. Actually, in the areas around the Great Lakes, the most snow tends to fall on the east and south sides of the Lakes, due to the "lake effect" snow being primarily blown that way by the prevailing west-northwest winds. So, not far from Chicago, the nearby areas of Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan typically get a lot more snow than Chicago or its Illinois suburbs do. Chicago certainly does get more snow on average than Odessa does, but it's also quite a bit colder in the winter than Odessa is, too. So, you may like Chicago, but if you're specifically looking for a climate with cold winters and a lot of snow, Chicago may not be an ideal fit.

In my experience, Denver does get quite a bit more snow than Chicago does, but it often doesn't stick around as long, because the typical winter pattern in the Front Range is to have alternating wide swings in temperature between very very cold and remarkably mild. Philadelphia receives less snow than Chicago, and is overall noticeably warmer and milder in the winter than Chicago, especially in the global warming-era, although it and the other East Coast cities seem to be more prone to occasional gigantic blizzards, caused by "nor'easters" and other phenomena, which can be both destructive and exciting. So, if you're looking for a snowy city, that may not be ideal either. In my observation, the snowiest big city in the United States is Buffalo, I think, but both the economy and the year-round climate there are pretty bad, so you probably wouldn't want to live there. Similarly Cleveland, to an extent. Among nice, vibrant, liveable cities, the two that come to mind are Boston and Minneapolis-St. Paul. Both are terrific cities in their own right, with a lot to offer anyone, and a big step up from Odessa. And both tend to get a lot more snow (for better and for worse) than Chicago. For whatever it's worth.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM

178 posts, read 371,157 times
I applaud you for coming in December. Anybody that visits in May tells me they would love to live here. I always tell people if you want to move here come during the Winter and see if you can handle it because that is what separates the real Chicagoans from the summer tourists. Anyways, I didn't read everyone's posts so I may be repeating some things. I have been all over the country and this is the best city by far. It has everything you could possibly want and it can be relatively inexpensive for a huge city if you know what you are doing (of course there are some taxes that are ridiculous, but rent in certain areas is soooo cheap). Generally speaking, it does help to know someone and I imagine that is doubly true with any union work. Most of the touristy things that have been suggested I agree with, but I would do some research on the CTA and concentrate on the Redline area north of Cermak/Chinatown up to Wilson Ave (to simplify things). That is a huge chunk of the city, but it is all fairly safe and you will see yuppie areas, touristy areas, gentrifying areas, and the Loop. Avoid the Green, Blue and the Pink lines. Don't be intimidated.....we have a pretty easy to understand grid of north/south and east/west streets, with the occasional diagonal. Most people are friendly and will help with directions if you get lost during your exploration. Like I said earlier, if you like Chicago in December, you will LOVE it in the warmer months. Good Luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks again Tom. That's something to consider. In my journies I will be heading to New York and Boston as well. Also Niagara falls. But it wont be for weeks at a time like the ones I'm posting about but I'll get a chance to see them for a few days at least. I did originally want to move to Boston a fewmuch years back but I think that it may be a much later date if ever. It looks to be a beautiful city from their picture posts sticky thing.

And Bird4prez yea I figured if I can handle these cities in their coldest months then the summer should be very rewarding.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 16,256 times
I agree with the others, perhaps looking before you leap might be a good idea. I know Mechanical Engineers out of work and not even getting interviews becuase the boss knows they will leave as soon as the economy picks up.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I know a company looking for engineers.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Wish I had an Engineering degree then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago