Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM

15 posts, read 32,940 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the process of applying to Loyola U Chicago. My transcript is being/already has been sent to Loyola, but they also allow you to submit a resume filled with a list of your extracurricular activities and also a 500 word personal essay.

"Essay for Application for Fall 2012

OPTIONAL: Transfer students are not required to submit an essay or personal statement but you certainly can do so by sending your statement of 500 words or less. You may upload the document as a Microsoft Word file now or come back to this site later to do so if you so choose."

Would it be worth submitting an essay? They sure don't put a lot of emphasis on it. My GPA is currently 3.6 so I'm not terribly worried about my chances. However, I don't want to take anything for granted so if it would increase my acceptability I would certainly want to do it.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

Last edited by gamechange; 10-16-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I would not apply to a school that I felt had "shady" application process.

500 words is not a whole lot. Seems that it would be in your nest intreats to highlight what about the schools makes you want to transfer into it.

A 3.6 gap by itself is not a slam dunk -- big difference if you were at a weaker school taking "easy" clases vs a more challenging school taking demanding courses...

Old 10-16-2011, 12:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,307 times
I don't think you will have a problem getting into Loyola with your 3.6 GPA. However, why not just do the brief essay so you don't have to worry about it.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I don't think you will have a problem getting into Loyola with your 3.6 GPA. However, why not just do the brief essay so you don't have to worry about it.
Yeah I realize both of you are right, so I just submitted something I thought was well written of mine. Thanks

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM

721 posts, read 1,795,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would not apply to a school that I felt had "shady" application process.

500 words is not a whole lot. Seems that it would be in your nest intreats to highlight what about the schools makes you want to transfer into it.

A 3.6 gap by itself is not a slam dunk -- big difference if you were at a weaker school taking "easy" clases vs a more challenging school taking demanding courses...
Yes it is.

You're in, don't worry about it

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Curious, do you work in the admissions office of Loyola while attending UIC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Yes it is.

Frankly an unqualified response probably won't put anyone's mind at ease.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Just do the essay. Won't hurt.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Yes it is.

What school, other than the trade school my friend Hector runs out of his basement, would be excited enough about a 3.6 GPA that it alone warrants admission? Anyway, so I know the OP already made her choice, but in the future kids, always write an essay.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
What school, other than the trade school my friend Hector runs out of his basement, would be excited enough about a 3.6 GPA that it alone warrants admission? Anyway, so I know the OP already made her choice, but in the future kids, always write an essay.
Yeah I see your point, so I did submit an essay. However, they certainly don't convey a strong importance about submitting anything besides a the college transcript.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM

721 posts, read 1,795,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Frankly an unqualified response probably won't put anyone's mind at ease.
In what way is it unqualified? A 3.6 on a 4.0 scale is impressive in its own. I doubt an essay, which is optional, is going to do much of anything. When I was still in High School, it was always made clear that the essay is the least important part of the application process, and will only help you if you're cutting it close with the requirements.

I sincerely doubt Loyola University in Chicago requires its applicants to have a 3.6 GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago