Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 11,324 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to take a weekend trip to Chicago. We typically stay in a suburb about 40 minutes from downtown. I want to be in downtown this time to eliminate so much drive time. We have a small budget, so I need advice on a nice downtown hotel in a safe area for around $90 per night. I've researched a little online but don't know the city as well as I would like. Please post some hotels with ammenities they offer such as parking, etc.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaj01 View Post
My family is looking to take a weekend trip to Chicago. We typically stay in a suburb about 40 minutes from downtown. I want to be in downtown this time to eliminate so much drive time. We have a small budget, so I need advice on a nice downtown hotel in a safe area for around $90 per night. I've researched a little online but don't know the city as well as I would like. Please post some hotels with ammenities they offer such as parking, etc.
Thanks!
For $90 per night for a room to accommodate a family, your chances are slim. When do you plan to visit? Priceline, Hotwire and Hotel.com is where I'd be looking for something. Overnight parking will be expensive.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I honestly would not advise spending so little on a hotel "downtown" -- even a HOSTEL is going to cost more than the for a weekend: http://www.hichicago.org/i/dormroom.jpg HI - Chicago :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States

If you do decide to try to use Priceline or Hotwire, PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH -- Priceline/Hotwire Hotel Lists and Tips for Illinois - Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 11,324 times
Default ...

Thanks for the info. I've researched some area hotels and hotels in the dt area that I want to be in are very expensive. Would like a double bed, but most seem to be booked, and arent possible in our price range. Hotwire can get us a room for the price I want to pay, but who knows what we will end up getting. I cant stand booking a room in "hotel un-known" which is why I haven't ever used their "services". The $20-$40 parking for the hotels downtown doesn't bother me, because we would be driving in both days and will end up paying that to park anyway. We are looking to go to Willis tower, and possibly science and industry. And as with anyone else, looking for great food, ..pizza, burgers, dogs, etc..won't be the first time downtown, but as stated we usually stay a ways away and drive in, it will be two adults and one child. Everytime we go I wish I would have looked into booking a room somewhere in the loop, this time atleast I am researching.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
This time of year you might have luck with Priceline. I've had friends from out of town get okay places here for around $90/night during the winter months. But that will NOT include parking, which will likely be $35-$50/night in addition. If you use Priceline, just go with Michigan Ave or Magnificent Mile or Loop or Near North as your limiting areas and you'll be fine. You could also try Lincoln Park or Lakeview and be fine - you might get cheaper parking, too.

In real downtown (the Loop and Michigan Ave and the areas within a mile of them) is perfectly safe everywhere these days - certainly everywhere there are hotels. There are few hotels in the West Loop area that I wouldn't recommend, but only because they're not near anything, not because they're actually dangerous.

If you can up their price to around $125, you'll have better luck, too. The average room rate in downtown is almost $180/night, so that gives you an idea of what you're asking for when you limit yourself to half that.

The Howard Johnson downtown, in River North, is far from fancy, but it's safe and a 10 minute walk from Michigan Ave and has first-come, first-serve parking included. I think their prices are usually starting around $110/night. I do think you can do better than that quality-wise, although parking will almost certainly prevent you from doing better than that price-wise. You should also check out the Congress Hotel, if you don't mind walking past union picketers (who have been there for almost 10 years now, so they've pretty much lost their battle). It's a little shabby in the lobby, but perfectly safe and close to everything and the rooms have a nice classic, high-ceiling feel to them (at least the ones I've seen do). Right now you can get some rooms for around $110-$125. Over your budget, but for only two days not to badly over.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
I've booked two separate trips using Priceline's name your own price in the past couple weeks. I selected a 3-star in the North Michigan Ave-River North area and for both trips I got the Four Points by Sheraton on Rush & Ontario. I got it for $53 a night for a trip next week and $56 a night for a trip in March. After taxes and fees, they were $63 and $67 a night. After I won the hotel, I checked out how much it would have been if I booked it on Expedia and it was over $160 a night after taxes and fees! Definitely use Priceline if you want to stay downtown for that cheap.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Check the Hilton Garden Inn in River North. I've seen before, and paid as little as, $92/night.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
I have gotten great deals at Priceline too and good hotels. Make sure you click on Mag Mile or Loop and check three stars. You will get something decent with 3 stars. Parking will be expensive but it will usually be valet.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,996 times
Okay, a few suggestions... you can also use KAYAK and Room Key to search for hotel deals. Though, I do think you'll get the best price from priceline or hotels.com.

I always cringe at the thought of paying overnight parking fees downtown. Why don't you consider staying at an O'Hare Airport hotel? Some offer free parking, and free shuttle to ORD where you can take the train in to the city for just a few bucks vs spending that money on gas and parking downtown. I'd recommend: Hampton Inn O'Hare or Radisson Hotel Chicago O'Hare

Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Okay, a few suggestions... you can also use KAYAK and Room Key to search for hotel deals. Though, I do think you'll get the best price from priceline or hotels.com.

I always cringe at the thought of paying overnight parking fees downtown. Why don't you consider staying at an O'Hare Airport hotel? Some offer free parking, and free shuttle to ORD where you can take the train in to the city for just a few bucks vs spending that money on gas and parking downtown. I'd recommend: Hampton Inn O'Hare or Radisson Hotel Chicago O'Hare
This, or if you do not suffer from amnesia, drop the fam off at a hotel downtown and park the car on a neighborhood sidestreet for a few days. If you're worried about budget, that's an easy way to save yourself the $70-100 to park your car in a garage for the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago