Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

There is an old adage in the newspaper business that says: "If it bleeds it leads." The Chicago area has 10M people. You are going to read 10 times more details about violent crime because it sells more newspapers than "feel good" news. Yeah you hear about Chicago because it is a favorite target of writers.

The next time you see one of those stories just imagine the advertising dollars flying through their open windows in their office. You'll feel better.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is an old adage in the newspaper business that says: "If it bleeds it leads." The Chicago area has 10M people. You are going to read 10 times more details about violent crime because it sells more newspapers than "feel good" news. Yeah you hear about Chicago because it is a favorite target of writers.

The next time you see one of those stories just imagine the advertising dollars flying through their open windows in their office. You'll feel better.

Bless this post.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
OP, a vast majority of people who live in Chicago, including me, have never once heard, let alone see, a gunshot/shooting.

The northside, especially Lakeview, is a very safe area all around. No reason to be scared or nervous.

Also, I moved here from Seattle over a year ago. Yes, Chicago is a tougher, more intimidating city than Seattle, but nothing to worry about it. It's an awesome city. It's reputation for crime is just left over from its rougher days in the 80s and 90s. It's cleaned up a lot since then.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
I've lived in Lakeview for 40 years with my wife (moved here from Chicago). Shootings to happen. There was one a few months ago a few blocks from me on Broadway. Rare, but it does happen.

I have never had a problem mostly because I am aware of which areas to avoid and at which times to avoid them. None of my friends have ever had any problems. However, part of living in a big city is learning what to do and when to do it and not to be naive about the crime that does exist. You can look at crime statistics by block and know which areas are more prone to crimes.

The shooting that you mentioned is really no Lakeview. Lakeview has been expanding leaps and bounds by creative realtors who are trying to sell properties outside of Lakeview and calling it Lakeview. At best, I guess, you can call it West Lakeview (if there is such a thing) but at one time Lakeview stopped at 1600 West (Ashland). The area you mentioned is really way out of bounds for what is commonly referred to as Lakeview.

If you want to live in a big city, Chicago by the lake is about as safe and pleasant as it gets. One can really get spoiled by the beautiful lakefront where people are jogging at all hours of the day along with bicyclists, skate boarders, parents with their children, etc. It is clean and quite unique. I will be moving out after 40 years because I never was quite able to fit into the Midwest culture, but finding a city to replace Chicago is tough because of the combination of beauty and affordability.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
The vast majority of shootings are concentrated in certain neighborhoods you would have no reason to be in. Every day the media reports shootings and they do occur but its nothing to worry about if you keep to the safe areas. If you are not from Chicago, you might not know when you read the reports that these are areas where there is a lot of gang activity or high crime. If you read and study these boards and also look at the websites on crime you will find areas that are safe. Lakeview, Lincoln Park, North center, roscoe village, are just a few of the safe areas in the city. The Loop and N Michigan avenue and the near north is mostly safe too.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
Oh, okay. One of the shootings happened close to Lake View (2100 block of West Fletcher Street), where a man was shot while in his vehicle. Lake View is one of the neighborhoods I am looking at and, judging from what everyone has said in this thread, it seems that this particular incident seems to be out of the ordinary for this location.
If it's any help, I've lived in Lakeview for nearly 17 years now and I walk all over the place day and evening, and I've never been shot.

Although no one can guarantee you absolute safety anywhere, if you stick to the good neighborhoods the odds are that you'll be OK.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
If you want to live in a big city, Chicago by the lake is about as safe and pleasant as it gets. One can really get spoiled by the beautiful lakefront where people are jogging at all hours of the day along with bicyclists, skate boarders, parents with their children, etc. It is clean and quite unique.
Yeah, living near the lakefront as I do, I'm much more worried about the possibility of a bicyclist or skateboarder running me over or knocking me down than I am about becoming a crime victim. Last summer in particular, I had several near-misses with inattentive bicyclists while out walking.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yeah, living near the lakefront as I do, I'm much more worried about the possibility of a bicyclist or skateboarder running me over or knocking me down than I am about becoming a crime victim. Last summer in particular, I had several near-misses with inattentive bicyclists while out walking.
Now that is a REAL problem. Those bicyclists are maniacs. Its as if there is no one else on the path. I saw a young child hit by one guy speeding along the path. What the heck are they thinking? There is no way they can stop in time if someone stepped out in the path. I don't even bother going out on the path on weekends. Total chaos. :-)

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I hate bicyclists.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Now we are talking Lincoln Park/Lakeview talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago